Quantcast

King headset Help

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
Anyone have any info on how to stop a king headset from making a clicking noise. You can sit on the bike and turn the bars back and forth and it makes a click or a popping noise. :confused: Any help would be great. Its on a Foes Mono and the sound echos through the frame!!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ Werd, face the HT and then lightly grease the cups before pressing them into the frame. Then use the supplied teflon washer on top of the upper race and properly preload the bearings and you should be good to go. It's possbile you've roached the bearings but somewhat unlikely.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
A clicking sound is often times due to a broken bearing. I'd be suprised if the cup was cracked, but a damaged bearing or race could be the likely cause.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
foes has the best finish machining i've seen, the root of the problem is the king headset, i broke three on my personal fly, lesson learned the expensive way chuck it and get a fsa pig dh pro there 45-50 bucks and will survive a nuclear war and a monster t

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
the Inbred said:
i agree with those that say to check the preload.

Every "problem" with a king Headset I've ever come across has been user error.

1) Face the HT and make sure it's camfered properly.
2) Install it properly
3) Make sure the crown race is greased and fully set all the way down on the crown.
4) Back off the preload. It should be just a hair past too loose. Get it to wear you just notice any rocking go away and then maybe go 1/8 turn past that.

A test for preload that work pretty well:

Hold the bike up by the front of the saddle so the bike is pointed down at about 45 degrees to the floor. Turn the handle bars all the way one way and let go. The front wheel should go most of the way to the other side and then come back and stop pretty much centered. If you let it go and it doesnt go almost all the way to the other side the preload is too high. If it goes all the way and comes back almost to where you let it go, there is too little preload.

This final preload check has never failed me, as long as steps 1-4 are taken first.