Quantcast

King hub service

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Hey all,

Well my CK rear hub needs some TLC and I got a few questions that need answering... First off, I live in a town with only 2 shops and both do NOT stock the Ring Drive lube, I also dont feel like having to order a bottle.

I was wondering if I could use another lube on the Ringdrive and in the Bearings? Like Pedros Synthetic Chain lube?

I also seen that some use abit of Synthetic grease on the Ringdrive? Is that true?

Any info would be appreciated!

LR

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I would say no. Just order a bottle of Ring lube from CK directly.

I have some and its fairly light viscosity. Any heavier and I think the chance of internals gumming up and engagement slipping is likely.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use 90wt synthetic gear oil. King used to used gear oil but changed because it caused problems in really cold weather and the grease was lighter. I don't have to deal with really cold weather. The nice thing about using the gear oil is that you can do 'ghetto service' on the hub by basically changing the oil. Back in the day I emailed and confirmed that using this oil was fine. I'd email them and see what they say.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks Nick and Westy for the replys.

Ive emailed them twice in the past 2 weeks and I havent gotten any answer back from them.

Ive been doing abit of looking around, and Ive seen some people say theyve used Synthetic Chain lube, others say Ceramic Chain lube... I just wana make sure that I dont put anything in the bearings or on the Ringdrive that could F*** **** up.

Westy, So your saying if I use a 90wt Syn gear oil in the bearings and on the Ring Drive than the hub will work well?

I dont do any Winter riding, as this hub is on my DH bike. So im not really worried about cold weather riding.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why dont you call them and stop being lazy. every time ive called them, someone has picked up immediately and answered all my questions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks Nick and Westy for the replys.

Ive emailed them twice in the past 2 weeks and I havent gotten any answer back from them.

Ive been doing abit of looking around, and Ive seen some people say theyve used Synthetic Chain lube, others say Ceramic Chain lube... I just wana make sure that I dont put anything in the bearings or on the Ringdrive that could F*** **** up.

Westy, So your saying if I use a 90wt Syn gear oil in the bearings and on the Ring Drive than the hub will work well?

I dont do any Winter riding, as this hub is on my DH bike. So im not really worried about cold weather riding.
I have the grease so I use that in the bearinings, don't think gear oil would work well there. A good bearing grease would be best. I do use the gear oil for the ring drive. I prefer the gear oil as it quiets the hub down and makes servicing things easier: Drain, flush, fill. Do you have the tools to tear the hub down? If not I wouldn't try anything different. If you can't do a complete tear down and clean the old grease out I don't think trying anything different would be a good idea.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Most chain lubes contain some solvent to thin the oil. This allows the oil to penetrate better, and then the solvents evaporate, leaving the thicker oil. I dont think you would want this in you hub (seals and petroleum distilates/solvents can be bad together depending on the seal material).

Gear oils generally contain a sulpher compound (ever smell old gear oil...:shocked:)that can be bad news with copper/bronze...I have no idea how it might effect the internals of a king. If they (king) says it is OK, then go for it.

If you can find it, phil's tenacious oil would work I think. I have used in Hadley hubs (that use a very thin...think soft butter...grease in the pawl mechanism) with good results. The only down side, is that it seems to weep past the seals a bit over time.

If you live in an industrial town, you might have some luck sourcing some very thin grease (NLGI 0). NLGI Grade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the tips/advice.

I dont have the Hub Service tool, so I think I should just order up a bottle of the Ringdrive lube and than Ill know for sure im using the right stuff. If I wasnt so tight on money Id probably also spring for the tool.

Cheers

LR

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Thanks for the tips/advice.

I dont have the Hub Service tool, so I think I should just order up a bottle of the Ringdrive lube and than Ill know for sure im using the right stuff. If I wasnt so tight on money Id probably also spring for the tool.

Cheers

LR
If you really want to do a full service and you are friendly with your LBS ask them if they'd let you use the loaner tool that Orange (the Chris King distributor) makes available to shops, you might have to cover shipping or maybe rental fee but thats an option for you..