Quantcast

King Kogs - can you even get these? Where?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I can't seem to find a mention of them on King's website, and haven't really been able to find a web retailer with 'em - I figured Webcyclery would have them if ANYBODY did, but no dice. It's probably the only way I can run SS on my Imperial, which has an Al freehub.

Should I just give up and get the Boone cog?

Attachments

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Just checked Quality Bicycle Products for you, and it looks like they have the 12-18t steel cogs in stock. So that means you should be able to get them through any bike shop, as long as theyve signed the King Cycle Group dealer agreement....
if not, you can find them online...

Dirty

Aug 3, 2003
beyond bikes seems to sell them, they say 1-2 weeks on order time.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Dirty
Just checked Quality Bicycle Products for you, and it looks like they have the 12-18t steel cogs in stock.
Cooool, thanks dude! I'll hit the LBS up tomorrow and see what they can do for me......

Dirty

Aug 3, 2003
but ill just go ahead and warn you that they do have a pretty hefty price tag even at wholesale for a simple steel cog....

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The Bike Lane in Burke usually has them in stock. Call first.

The only mention of them I see on the King site is that you get your choice of one when you buy a SS or BMX rear hub. :confused:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
King never sent me a 16t cog with my hubs. they were supposed to send one to the shop, and the shop never got it (after calling them). i've been using a regular 16t cog. is that a bad idea? what's so special about them?

and does anyone else think Boones are a bit of a waste?

J

JRB

Originally posted by the Inbred
King never sent me a 16t cog with my hubs. they were supposed to send one to the shop, and the shop never got it (after calling them). i've been using a regular 16t cog. is that a bad idea? what's so special about them?

and does anyone else think Boones are a bit of a waste?
I think not getting your cog is a waste. Have you called King yourself? You should. I like the Boones, but wouldn't throw down on them.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
This may be too late, but here is a cheap but effective option for a cog. If you are using a BMX chain, you can take 2 cogs of the same size off of a couple of old cassettes, put them side-by-side, and it will work well. You may even be able to order individual Shimano cogs from a sullpier like QBP. Worth a shot.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
DBR, what did you end up doing? i am rather desperate for a 17t cog, and QBP has sold out of Kings in the past 2 days and King won't be releasing anymore till around June, which is when i leave for Alaska. the Boone would cost $47.50 shipped....ouch. running a DX cog has marred my King freehub body enough, so i don't want to screw it up anymore than i already have.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
DBR, what did you end up doing? i am rather desperate for a 17t cog, and QBP has sold out of Kings in the past 2 days and King won't be releasing anymore till around June, which is when i leave for Alaska. the Boone would cost $47.50 shipped....ouch. running a DX cog has marred my King freehub body enough, so i don't want to screw it up anymore than i already have.
Well, nothing really - I talked to Bonk about it and he was gonna see if he could get me a 15t when King did another run of 'em (they were out at the time of this original thread); I haven't heard anything but I haven't bugged him about it either. I duuno - it's kinda low on my priority list at the moment.

I'm not gonna run a single cassette cog tho - my freehub gets notched badly enough by just running a cassette....

If King can't come thru in the semi-near future, I'll shell out for the Boone; it's not *that* much more than the King, and it looks pimper, and it's Ti. Too bad they don't appear to make a 15t though.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
coool, thanks for the link - I'll call 'em up and see if they actually have them in stock.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by DßR
Well, nothing really - I talked to Bonk about it and he was gonna see if he could get me a 15t when King did another run of 'em (they were out at the time of this original thread); I haven't heard anything but I haven't bugged him about it either. I duuno - it's kinda low on my priority list at the moment.

I'm not gonna run a single cassette cog tho - my freehub gets notched badly enough by just running a cassette....

If King can't come thru in the semi-near future, I'll shell out for the Boone; it's not *that* much more than the King, and it looks pimper, and it's Ti. Too bad they don't appear to make a 15t though.
DßR you're right, it has been some time...and it should be here by now. I'll bug King tomorrow and let you know what's up.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Bonk
DßR you're right, it has been some time...and it should be here by now. I'll bug King tomorrow and let you know what's up.
thanks boss! Let me know what happens....:)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by DßR
coool, thanks for the link - I'll call 'em up and see if they actually have them in stock.
just in case...

if you meant call up Hammerhead, i can tell you they won't have any. he's just a local shop that has his online ordering setup through QBP (inventory is updated daily by QBP, which is then reflected through the site). so if Bonk has problems, any shop that has a QBP account can get it for you.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Unless you're married to your chain ring, maybe you could switch it out for one that would give you a good gear with whatever King Cogs are available.

Or if you're good with JB Weld you can grind the teeth off another cog and stick it on a narrow 17t. I wonder how that would hold up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, no, not married. but a chainring would be just slightly less than the cog, and i know the combo would work with a 17t.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
any shop that has an acount with QBP. online shops that do their online business through the QBP catalog include
www.hammerheadbikes.com
www.aebike.com
...um...that's all i can think of. what you do is, or what i do, use either of those sites to look for what you need. if it shows up in their "full catalog", that means QBP has it in stock. go to your shop and get them to order it. most of these online retailers will have to wait till QBP ships to them, then they'll mail to you. can take up to 2 weeks depending on when you order.

Dirty

Aug 3, 2003
once again, king crown races through QBP as long as the shop is a qualified king dealer....or direct from king as wumpus said.

Dirty

Aug 3, 2003
where do you get boone ti stuff? do they do shop deals? or just direct to consumer with a standard price list...?

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
Originally posted by Dirty
where do you get boone ti stuff? do they do shop deals? or just direct to consumer with a standard price list...?

im with dirty those are the bling bling. are they wider at the base than kings i ride bmx and there isnt a lot of room on the chris king bmx hub.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
For people that feel they need King Kogs not to mar their alloy casette bodies, if it's a King road or mtn hub, you know that stainless casette bodies are available, right?