Quantcast

King Kong

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Seen it yet? Crap that was a long movie--just over 3 hours. I thought it was really good. Good plot and very creative. I liked it when he beat the sh!t out of those 3 T-rexs with the girl in one hand.

I give it :thumb: :thumb:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Saw it. 3 hours, but I didn't event notice. The t-rex fight was awesome, the bug scene was terrifying, and the Empire State Building was emotional. Damn good movie.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ehhh. It was pretty damn long and kinda boring. I did not leave the theater impressed. Im going to say it was a 7/10.

Oh yeah, the bug scene was nasty. It made me feel itchy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'd say for Peter Jacksons next movie, he had better ditch his wife and their partner, because the dialogue in that movie made the dialogue in the Star Wars prequels sound good.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
stevew said:
I'd say for Peter Jacksons next movie, he had better ditch his wife and their partner, because the dialogue in that movie made the dialogue in the Star Wars prequels sound good.

:stupid:

And they left out the scene where the giant monkey and the horny sailors gang bang the chick. :mumble:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Finally saw it. Visuals were stunning but the action was the usual over the top crap. As if fighting one Trex wouldn't have been an epic battle, they had to throw in two more, have Kong holding the girl the whole time, swinging from vines for pets sake. Stupid. I've never seen so many things fall off cliffs and not die (or get hurt). I guess that's why Skull Island has all those big critters - low gravity.

And then we had the crew stampeding with the dinosaurs LOL! Here's a tip: if a bunch of dinosaurs are running you down a canyon, simply step off to the side into one of the many shletered spots and defend yourself from the biting ones WITH YOUR FREAKIN MACHINE GUNS :rofl:

My favorite part though, was when the bugs are crawling all over the Pianist and the kid is shooting them off with an automatic weapon, half the time with his eyes closed. If our armed forces had half the talent that kid did, Iraq would be neatly under control right now.

Rating: retahded.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BeerDemon said:
Finally saw it. Visuals were stunning but the action was the usual over the top crap. As if fighting one Trex wouldn't have been an epic battle, they had to throw in two more, have Kong holding the girl the whole time, swinging from vines for pets sake. Stupid. I've never seen so many things fall off cliffs and not die (or get hurt). I guess that's why Skull Island has all those big critters - low gravity.

And then we had the crew stampeding with the dinosaurs LOL! Here's a tip: if a bunch of dinosaurs are running you down a canyon, simply step off to the side into one of the many shletered spots and defend yourself from the biting ones WITH YOUR FREAKIN MACHINE GUNS :rofl:

My favorite part though, was when the bugs are crawling all over the Pianist and the kid is shooting them off with an automatic weapon, half the time with his eyes closed. If our armed forces had half the talent that kid did, Iraq would be neatly under control right now.

Rating: retahded.
Um, King Kong is supposed to be a fantastical adventure... i.e. not real, just like LOTR. It holds very true to the first.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
kinghami3 said:
Um, King Kong is supposed to be a fantastical adventure... i.e. not real, just like LOTR. It holds very true to the first.
Uh, there are fantastical adventures that still adhere to the laws of physics. There is a point where too much is too much. Holds true to what? The original King Kong?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
I should add that many aspects of the film were stunning. The digital recreation of old New York was amazing. Kong was amazing. Once producers start putting this kind of technology into movies with good scripts, we are going to see some really great movies.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BeerDemon said:
Uh, there are fantastical adventures that still adhere to the laws of physics. There is a point where too much is too much. Holds true to what? The original King Kong?
Yes, the original King Kong, IMHO. I don't know why you can have people survive after falling into a muddy pit, versus hobbits taking on a cave troll... seems like a double standard to say that some kinds of fantastical adventure can be only plausible while others can't.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
6.5/10

with the budget they had its no supprise the cinematography and effects were good, but the rest was sub-par imho.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
kinghami3 said:
Yes, the original King Kong, IMHO. I don't know why you can have people survive after falling into a muddy pit, versus hobbits taking on a cave troll... seems like a double standard to say that some kinds of fantastical adventure can be only plausible while others can't.
Why are we even talking about LOTR?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
kinghami3 said:
Because I'm using it as a comparison, that's why.
Bad comparison. LOTR has no basis in our world, while King Kong is based in our world.

It was a terrrrrible movie.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Bad comparison. LOTR has no basis in our world, while King Kong is based in our world.

No, it's a perfectly good comparison... Neither movie takes place in our world, unless you believe 30 ft. apes exist :think: The physics and outcomes of similar fights would be the comparable in each world; which are both based off of ours. All I'm trying to say is that faulting a fantasy movie for being fantastical doesn't make much sense to me.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
kinghami3 said:
No, it's a perfectly good comparison... Neither movie takes place in our world, unless you believe 30 ft. apes exist :think: The physics and outcomes of similar fights would be the comparable in each world; which are both based off of ours. All I'm trying to say is that faulting a fantasy movie for being fantastical doesn't make much sense to me.
I'm not faulting it for being fantastical, I'm faulting it for being stupid. Why not have 10 Trex and make it a crouching tiger hidden dragon style rumble? And then the Aliens show up for good measure.

There's fantasy and there is just dumb.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
BeerDemon said:
I'm not faulting it for being fantastical, I'm faulting it for being stupid. Why not have 10 Trex and make it a crouching tiger hidden dragon style rumble? And then the Aliens show up for good measure.

There's fantasy and there is just dumb.
I found TheMatrix, when dude had to fight 10,000 Mr. Andersons, pretty dumb. I didnt think 3 T-Rex's was quite that stupid.
The movie was pretty stupid I thought, but not because of any of that...but some other scenes. Like for instance, those big ass bats in the cave, why didnt they eat that one guy? And the Dino chase scene..retarded.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
I found TheMatrix, when dude had to fight 10,000 Mr. Andersons, pretty dumb. I didnt think 3 T-Rex's was quite that stupid.
The movie was pretty stupid I thought, but not because of any of that...but some other scenes. Like for instance, those big ass bats in the cave, why didnt they eat that one guy? And the Dino chase scene..retarded.
Yeah I'm not saying the Trex scene was the worst, those scenes you mentioned are pretty high on the stupid scale too.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
I have not seen it but it's available On Demand this month. Is it worth the $4 rental?

I watched "National Treasure" on HBO last night. Not bad.
It's worth seeing. It's a little, ok - a lot, over the top, but worth seeing. National Treasure was good though.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
I Are Baboon said:
I have not seen it but it's available On Demand this month. Is it worth the $4 rental?

I watched "National Treasure" on HBO last night. Not bad.
IMO it's worth seeing just for the shots of old New York.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Popcorn eye candy movie, i enjoyed it on the big screen. i personally had no probs with effects or various fight scenes. The casting was horrid though, and that's the real reason the movie doesn't work. The only character you could get into was the ape.
i hope Peter Jackson is happy he got to do this movie and now get's back to track to do "The Hobbit".

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It was beautifuly filmed and the special effects were awesome, but it was too long and the whole T rex thing just didn't fit with the rest of the movie so just irritated me when I saw the movie.

The ship they used is still moored in front of my house. :)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
.:Jeenyus:. said:
:stupid:

It was a masterpeice of sh1t film making. There were a few shots that were in the film more than once, and yes I did a side by side comparison. If it were an hour long it could be pretty good, but 3 hours was waaaaaaaay to long for how little content there actually was.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i thought it was entertaining but they kinda left ouf the part that discussed the logistics of fitting that mega-monkey on that ship.

he was in the jungle, then suddenly appeared in NYC :think:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
manimal said:
i thought it was entertaining but they kinda left ouf the part that discussed the logistics of fitting that mega-monkey on that ship.

he was in the jungle, then suddenly appeared in NYC :think:
They attached him to those giant bats and flew him home. Duh.

:rolleyes:

J

JRB

BeerDemon said:
They attached him to those giant bats and flew him home. Duh.

:rolleyes:
Didn't you read the book??? The giant bats flapped the villagers into a trance and they welded the hull of the ship, even though it was bashed to hell against the rocks. They used uber snuber dinosaur bones and tigged that puppy to health. They also repaired the motor and it was only a 45 minute trip.

ArmySlowRdr

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
Killeen, TX
This movie put the so called other dinosaur movies (jurrasic park series) to shame---and this wasnt even a dinosaur movie-but sure made it hella entertaining.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MtnBikerChk said:
I'm bumping this thread because we are (finally) watching this movie. We are just about an hour and 10 minutes in and FINALLY we see Kong.

Less talky - more monkey.

Seriously, this movie is moving slower than me on an uphill xc ride.

monkey dies..

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Still haven't seen it, won't likely ever see it. I learned my lesson with long remade movies after the Four Feathers movie. Went to it on opening night, left 10 minutes into it, because it felt like I was there for 3 hours.