Quantcast

Kink Relief stem... POW!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Well, just got myself a new clamp, what a RELIEF!

This thing is the BEAT! so smooth, so trick, so light!

was gonna get black, but scored the downtown brown instead (also comes in gunmetal).

check it out.

I'll come back with some direct feedback once I install it,
"with my chrome shinin' like an icicle, ride around town on my lowrider bicycle." haha, I actually hate chrome, but dig the old school Pauls Boutique. :wink:

pardon the sharpie'd bars, I don't like the white logos, but it shows through with camera flash, haha!

This little piece is only 8.5 oz, comes with hollow chromo bolts too. Nice. still dig my Demolition F1 though, but it'll go somewhere else for the moment.

The only thing is, compared to my F1, or other S&M Redneck ripoffs like animal jumpoff or mac cell, etc., this Kink Relief has 0deg rise, so it'll raise up my bars like 1/4" or so. Similar to an ODSY Elementary though, with the straight forward design. Just gonna run it slammed as usual, and it's got a nice low stack height.
Only thing I could see it being a problem if your steerer tube is too short to reach the upper section, but you'd have the same prob with an Elementary too.

oh yeah, props to Albes (dotcom), they hook it up nice everytime, core shop no doubt! :P

Let's hear what you think! I think it's bringin' flames man! :D

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
for some reason, it reminds me of the protect ya neck, even though it's a front loader. Looks sweet. been reading a little bit about them. I just switched to a crown royal from the elemental. I'm diggin' it.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
for some reason, it reminds me of the protect ya neck, even though it's a front loader. Looks sweet. been reading a little bit about them. I just switched to a crown royal from the elemental. I'm diggin' it.
yeah, in a way, kinda, but there is no piece to slide in for a gyro (I don't care for gyros anyway, except the greek ones when I'm a little liquored).

The FBM is also a 6bolt design, this Relief uses a compression wedge that uses the clamping forces of the two front plates to pinch the steerer too, very smooth and lighter too. Very similar to the Profile HIP (hidden internal piston) stem, which is patented, but apparently, if it's not hidden, in the case of the relief, it's not patented, haha! Maybe it's like a combination of the Coalition Povah front end, and the Profile HIP rear, with a FBM/Solid cutout that is enlarged like the Elementary, haha, wow that was complex, but for anybody whose seen those stems may know where I'm going with that...

Kink was thinkin' on this one, my fav. on the market now by far. I've also already got their light bar-ends from a few years ago, which I thought were discontinued for awhile there, but I see they brought them back in the same new colors as the stem this season, and their new sprocket is lookin' nice too, but I don't need one atm...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
kink seems like a really cool company...

I had a hip stem a while back. it was solid. I got rid of it for the elemental to shed weight. I used the elemental a long time. It got funky on me so now I'm back to a traditional stem.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...

I had a hip stem a while back. it was solid. I got rid of it for the elemental to shed weight. I used the elemental a long time. It got funky on me so now I'm back to a traditional stem.
yeah, I agree, kink has been in it to win it for years now, droppin' solid goods since day one.

Not to get too sidetracked from my own thread here, haha, but I also notice that Fit has a new stem out now too, which looks like a tweaked/bent/lowered Redneck XLT almost. It has more drop than other traditional bmx stems, so it should help out a lot with all these kids going to the PNW style bars, but end up too high for them even though they want the width (or image, one of the two anyway). I'd be included in that former group actually, as I don't like high bars much, but instead, I'd probably just go with some of those Colony Unlucky 13 bars for the width but decent height too...

And interesting about your Elemental stem... what happened to it? I have one on the way with a knight watson wedge and you're making me curious... It's actually for a friend, but I was thinking with mtb bars, it should put much less stress on the stem...

Double Duece Dot Duece for life mang! :clapping:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Check Your Head, fool. :disgust1: Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure??? :pirate2: :cheers:

BOOTY!

no way brah, I thought it was Paul's Boutique! just listened to it, my check your head disc is scracthed to hell (that's my fav. album probably). Or do they use the same lyrics in both albums??? I'm confusing myself now... Professor booty is mos def on Check your head, but I thought the other day in the car I remember hearing some bicycle lyrics on Paul's... ? :poster_oops:

oh yeah, and definitely no hate on Atomlab with the sharpie, I just like the blacked out look that's all. Much respect to Atomlab actually, they're bringin' the goods to the right hoods, no doubt about it! and one of their pros, and proto frame welders is a local in the same state I'm in now, he seems to be a solid dude too.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
And interesting about your Elemental stem... what happened to it? I have one on the way with a knight watson wedge and you're making me curious... It's actually for a friend, but I was thinking with mtb bars, it should put much less stress on the stem...
for mtb bars you should be good to go. It worked great on the molly. when I switched it over to the t1 with 8" bars, it was not so good. lots of popping and creaking going on. I made sure the bolt was tight enough to the point that I didn't want to overtighten it and eff something up. I'm straight now with the crown royal...

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
and one of their pros, and proto frame welders is a local in the same state I'm in now, he seems to be a solid dude too.
You got that right, I ride with Thomas, and he's a super cool dude and really down to earth.

Here's a quick vid from some A2 urban

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
You got that right, I ride with Thomas, and he's a super cool dude and really down to earth.

Here's a quick vid from some A2 urban

nice, yeah, I'll be back in the Metro-D area for just about 1 week the end of this month before flying out for Seattle, so maybe I'll have some time to hook up for a ride somewhere???

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
BEWARE!

I think this stem crushes bars and steerers easier than the ODSY elementary!!!

I wish I could post up some more pics right now, but my temp internet is too slow to upload photos, and I'll be on the road for the next few months...

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
BEWARE!

I think this stem crushes bars and steerers easier than the ODSY elementary!!!

I wish I could post up some more pics right now, but my temp internet is too slow to upload photos, and I'll be on the road for the next few months...
Oh did my bars cause more stress to be put on the steerer ?
I looked into a design similer to this but it really hard to calculate the right size wedge , too small no claming pressure , too big crushed steerers and denter bars :crazy:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Oh did my bars cause more stress to be put on the steerer ?
I looked into a design similer to this but it really hard to calculate the right size wedge , too small no claming pressure , too big crushed steerers and denter bars :crazy:
well, actually... the problem was with the Atomlab Jesme bars that I originally put on there. No problems with the Folsom Prisons yet (although I wish they were just a tad taller at full 3", and a bit more sweep, but hey, I can't complain! :cheers: )

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
well, actually... the problem was with the Atomlab Jesme bars that I originally put on there. No problems with the Folsom Prisons yet (although I wish they were just a tad taller at full 3", and a bit more sweep, but hey, I can't complain! :cheers: )
Good to hear your liking them so far :clapping:

Not enough sweep ? Ok I will take note of that :poster_oops:

Blockhead

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Kink is a great company. Im from the roc, so I might have a bit of a local bias, but they put out some great frames and components, ride what they sell, and support the local talent as well as their team. Def. a class act. I used to make some of there parts, and still ride a freebird

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I planned on grabbing that stem on my new build. I assume you can flip it so the logo doesn't show, no?
yeah, you could flip it 180 if you wanted. Can't just flip the wedge though, they have little guide grooves machined into them to slide in one position in the main body, and it wouldn't fit if flipped.
Great stem though, I still really like mine. Just watch out though, if you over tighten, these things can easily crush bars.