Quantcast

Kirt Voreis gives you a history lesson, full of comedy

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
that seriously is the best feature ever ahaa.

"so ya the aero days were pretty gay and I'm glad they are gone"

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Good job on that Voreis feature. Kirt was one of the most underrated riders of that era, but has continued to contribute to MTBing like no other rider has with his camps, clinics, tours and all around super psych attitude on riding bicycles to people from all facets of life.

Would have been nice to include his 92' team Yeti audition tape that he sent to Parker (which eventually landed him a team gig)...it is a priceless vhs tape and seeing it in its entirety when parker had to show me 'this kid from hesperia', makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Kirt rules.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Yeah, I was a little surprised when Decline gave the most influential Freerider to Chase. He's pretty great and all but I always thought Kirt Singlehandedly brought freeriding and tricks to mtbing. That video Evolution is the proof in the pudding for me. Kirt rules, great guy and has brought sooo much to this sport. Mtbing would be completely different were it not for him.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Nice - I like he still has so many of his old bikes. Shows a true love for the sport and the bikes.
Yeah, that was cool to see. Is it common?

Delightful and educational feature. Voreis is top shelf.

Litter's on fire.

Yay!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yeah, that was cool to see. Is it common?

Delightful and educational feature. Voreis is top shelf.

Litter's on fire.

Yay!!
I do not think it is too common. I have been to Kirt's house and only remember seeing that Yeti, but perhaps I did not see hidden gems. I did not see any of his haros, specialized bikes, etc. But bear in mind a lot of people give their bikes to certain businesses/people/places. I know a few riders who have given their bikes to restaurants, business offices, doctor offices, helmet companies offices, etc....

Hands down, the Misser brothers have more old race bikes than any former pros. King used to keep a lot of his old bikes, Peaty at one point had a bike from each year of racing but I know he put a few in Andys shop. My wife has her 95' world championship bike in the shed here at home, 99' worlds bike and her 01' bike.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Kirt is definetly the coolest down to earth pro out there. All about what
it should be about, the love of riding mountain bikes and all that comes with it.
I remember trying to give congrats to the Palm one year in big bear, after
he gave me the cold shoulder, Kirt talked and hung out with me for an hour
after that just being a normal guy!
Every time after I saw him he would always speak and ask how MY racing was going etc.

Class A guy for sure and pretty funny!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah, Asheville had a freeride contest that was called off due to construction downtown and then last minute the asked the local shops to have it at a park and the shops asked me to try to get some pros last minute to come out.

I got hold of Voreis b/c I saw that his Allride Tour was coming down from TN into Asheville the same weekend. He was beat and exhausted but I got him to stay in an RV park right next to it so he could check the comp out and still do his demo the next day. He rode his bike over that afternoon and just hung out with the kids after it was over and rode all the stunts.

I had comments from kids that had no idea who he was who just said "some super nice guy showed me how to do some tricks". He just came and watched the other kids even though he was exhausted out of respect for my request.

Then he kept in touch afterwards, got info on Windrock, then went and filmed a segment of NWD over there within the same week and they all said the same thing!

All this was after having driven from ATL and ridden street for 5-6 hours with a pack of rabid MTB kids down there, doing the same in TN then hauling butt to Asheville....just to ride.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Nice, Kirt has done alot to progress the sport over the years along with other top riders like Lenosky, Chase, Hill, Hannah ect...

Never met him personally, but I know from others that have that he's a pretty nice down to earth guy that just loves to ride and progress things.