Quantcast

Kiss

Right.
Where to start????
Hubs: Here's a few ideas.
Spot
Surley.
DMR also do hubs but I can't find them on their site:(
On One ,super sweet disc hubs.They also do regular hubs too.
You could also do the time honoured bodge with a cassette hub as shown here.

Forks:
The only one's that I can think of that have disc mounts are the On One/Planet X dirt jumping forks.

Hmmm........gears.What you want to aim for is a 2:1 ratio.I use a 17t bmx sprocket and a 34t chain ring with 175mm cranks.Some people say you want 180mm cranks for a single speed but I can't see it making that much difference.I assume you have horizontal dropouts so chain tensioning isn't a problem (otherwise you'll need one of these. )

Some other links of interest:
single speeds anonymous
the outcast

Have fun!!!!!:D

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Hubs - for disc, On-one and Paul's components are making SS disc hubs

Forks - Vicous Cycles (pricey) and PlanetX/On-one(heavy)

You should be able to get any of them at www.webcyclery.com, the're in the US, so I'm not sure about the overseas shipping

Try a 2:1 ratio for off road.

I'd just put it together without the discs for now, get it up and running and let the fun start, then worry about the discs.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by buttychunkster
yeah I thought i might do without the disc for now or maybe get an old fork with a disc mount but I really want it to stay rigid! :cool:
Digging up a rigid non-disc fork should be easy. Check this list for rigid forks, disc and non-disc
http://www.geocities.com/mtnwuff/SSforks.html

Pace also makes a sweet looking rigid disc, but they seem to be difficult to get here in the US (they are made in the UK), not sure if you can get them down under.

Just build it and ride it, tweak it out later. Trust me on this on, you won't regret it. I've been toying w/ the idea of going w/ a rigid disc (ride a rigid Surly now, so rear disc is out) on the front to make the ultimate year round single. Lots of stream crossings on the local trails which ice up the rims in winter. Only thing is, a rigid Vicous is around $190 (US) + disc brake + disc hub = a hefty upgrade!

Originally posted by riderx
Pace also makes a sweet looking rigid disc, but they seem to be difficult to get here in the US (they are made in the UK), not sure if you can get them down under.
Pace's rigid forks are very trick.Carbon legs and alloy crown.Plus they're made about 15 miles from where I live:D
I think their site is this one.
Great forks if you can get hold of them and very light.