Quantcast

Kitchen Counter tops (N8 look in here)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DRB said:
Anyone have any experience with Soapstone countertops? The resistance to chipping seems to be the one drawback.
there's another drawback.

to quote _Raising Arizona_:

"do these balloons blow up into funny shapes"?

"not unless you think round is funny"

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, we are going through the countertop stuff right now for our new house, and I believe we have found a way to save some money on them, since we got murdered on the windows, and we now have a walk in basement whereas we planned to not have one at all.:cool:

We picked out these cabinets that are a cool antique white color, and we are getting them glazed with a dark brown, and we had originally picked out this mocha colored silestone countertop.
But then we found the same exact mocha pattern in a laminate top that will save us thousands. And we can get whatever edgework we want on them as well which helped us make up our mind.

It is sketchy picking out stuff for a house that you plan on living in forever.:)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, we are going through the countertop stuff right now for our new house, and I believe we have found a way to save some money on them, since we got murdered on the windows, and we now have a walk in basement whereas we planned to not have one at all.:cool:

We picked out these cabinets that are a cool antique white color, and we are getting them glazed with a dark brown, and we had originally picked out this mocha colored silestone countertop.
But then we found the same exact mocha pattern in a laminate top that will save us thousands. And we can get whatever edgework we want on them as well which helped us make up our mind.

It is sketchy picking out stuff for a house that you plan on living in forever.:)
If this is a house that you KNOW you will live in forever, then do not skimp on countertops....

Sure the cost of laminate might be a third the cost of the solid surface but it is no where near the quality and look.

Did you check into Corian? That seems to be reasonably priced and there are a LOT of choices...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
N8 said:
If this is a house that you KNOW you will live in forever, then do not skimp on countertops....

Sure the cost of laminate might be a third the cost of the solid surface but it is no where near the quality and look.

Did you check into Corian? That seems to be reasonably priced and there are a LOT of choices...
Oh, I agree, we did not want to skimp anywhere, but I think we are gonna have to. The ones we picked out though have the exact "look" we were going for.
But we have not made up our minds completely yet.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Soapstone is a very nice material. Looks really good and is way easier to keep looking clean than polished granite (smudges don't show up).

You can also look at distressed granite. They take an angle grinder with a wire brush and a torch and rough it up a bit. If you get a stone with a little character, it looks really nice. Very unique and non-cookie-cutterish. Maintenance is just like polished granite.

I've recently become a big fan of concrete countertops. There is no limit to what you can do if your imagination/wallet can afford it. They can do any color, various textures, paterns, embeded things (coins, chainrings, etc). Supposedly it's pretty cost comparable to other solid surface countertops. I've yet to put it in a house though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Biscuit said:
Soapstone is a very nice material. Looks really good and is way easier to keep looking clean than polished granite (smudges don't show up).

You can also look at distressed granite. They take an angle grinder with a wire brush and a torch and rough it up a bit. If you get a stone with a little character, it looks really nice. Very unique and non-cookie-cutterish. Maintenance is just like polished granite.
one caveat - honed granite can stain.

DRB, w/ a young family i'd stay away from soapstone, personally. plus, yr sink options are limited.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
N8 said:
On the otherhand, laminate countertops are inexpensive, and are easily repalced later.
Very true. Countertops are one of the easier things to upgrade later.

And as N8 pointed out, Corian is a good option.
I have it in my own house and absolutely love it. The seamless Corian sink is the shizzle too. Waaaay easier to clean than stainless. Actually, it never really looks dirty. While my last stainless sink pretty much always looked like it had a film of goop on it unless I had just cleaned it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Silestone is really nice stuff, if a little pricey. We just finished gutting/rehabbing our kitchen (aka the $40,000 dishwasher) and the Silestone counters look amazing. Fortunately my buddy's an installer and gave us a great deal but, knowing all the other options, we would have used Silestone either way. Just stay away from the 'leather' finish as it shows smears too easily.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
narlus said:
one caveat - honed granite can stain.

DRB, w/ a young family i'd stay away from soapstone, personally. plus, yr sink options are limited.
Any granite can stain. Honed, being rough, has more exposed surface and pores to absorb stain. But if it's maintained properly (i.e. sealed) you should have no problems.

And how are your sink options limited with soapstone?
I'm no expert, but I thought any sink you can use with granite you can use with soapstone. And I've seen sinks completely made of soapstone, similar to a corian setup that look very trick. Which in my mind gives you more options than with granite or silestone.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
DRB said:
Why?

I thought that you could use any drop in sink....
Check out sinks that clip to the underside of the counters, they have a much cleaner look.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
dan-o said:
Silestone is really nice stuff, if a little pricey. We just finished gutting/rehabbing our kitchen (aka the $40,000 dishwasher) and the Silestone counters look amazing. Fortunately my buddy's an installer and gave us a great deal but, knowing all the other options, we would have used Silestone either way. Just stay away from the 'leather' finish as it shows smears too easily.
Silestone is our other option at this moment. Friends just installed it and it looks good and they seem happy with it. We like the look of the soapstone better right now (I'm not likely to change my opinion but my wife is a completely different story).

As for sinks, if we go with the soapstone, I'm pretty sure that we would go with a soapstone sink.

JeremyR where is this new house going? Working on any other "additions"?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
DRB said:
JeremyR where is this new house going? Working on any other "additions"?
Two exits up I-26 from where I am now.
It is right off of Hwy 11.
That puts me about 40 minutes from Asheville.
We bought 5 wooded acres a couple years back, so now we are building on them. :)
And by "additions" do you mean dirt jumps or children?
They are both things to treasure.
Ha, no kids yet, but the trails have already been started.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Jeremy R said:
Two exits up I-26 from where I am now.
It is right off of Hwy 11.
That puts me about 40 minutes from Asheville.
We bought 5 wooded acres a couple years back, so now we are building on them. :)
And by "additions" do you mean dirt jumps or children?
They are both things to treasure.
Ha, no kids yet, but the trails have already been started.
Either / both.

How far along in the build are you?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
DRB said:
Either / both.

How far along in the build are you?
They are framing the rest of the roof today.
Building a house is a damn adventure.
The day that our framers were supposed to start, it poured rain,
so they went and got drunk instead. On the way home, they got pulled over in their big van. They arrested the driver, and the other guys ran for the border. Seriously. The guy lost his whole framing crew.
So we had to start from scratch, and also find framers with big enough balls to work on our high roof.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
and who wants an over-mount sink?

Well, if you are going with laminate then its a no-brainer, but if you shelling out the coin for solid surface Corian/Silestone/stone then spend the additional $450 ($200 to cut the sink hole and polish and $250 for the undermount sink itself - look at a 60-40 double sink)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Well, if you are going with laminate then its a no-brainer, but if you shelling out the coin for solid surface Corian/Silestone/stone then spend the additional $450 ($200 to cut the sink hole and polish and $250 for the undermount sink itself - look at a 60-40 double sink)
agreed. however, i would suggest a sink w/ a large basin and smaller one, something like this:

the small one is fine for rinsing veggies and such, but the big one is great for cleaning large skillets and braising pans. a 60/40 sink may not be large enough to accomodate these. and since soapstone is so soft, manually cleaning large cookware like this will take a toll on yr sink surface.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. We went with a laminate top only becasue we chose to put the money elsewhere. I've got no comlpaints. A countertop is like almost everything else: you worry about it only a.)when in the process of buying one and b.) if it REALLY sucks. Other than that it is there but not. If you are at all uncertain, go with a laminate because you can replace it so easily. Nothing would suck more than to spend $$$$$ on something you THOUGHT would be cool (like stainless appliances - bad idea if you have kids) but isn't.

That having been said, the solid surface stuff (Corian, etc) is pretty nice, especially with an intergrated sink (no gunk collectors around the edges.) How porous is soapstone? I guess that is something you want to think about in a countertop.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Formica with a 45 degree beveled edge band always looks great as long as you don't have an radius'on the edge of your countertops.

Here's a house I built back in 2000 where I used the beveled edge band with a white-ish colored strip in it. A lot of people thought this countertop was Corian until they took a really close look.

On the other hand granite is nice too. This is a 60-40 split sink with a much cooler faucet:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
dan-o said:
Silestone ...is the Bomb, The only draw back is price, so pick a color you'll like a lifetime cause thats how long this stuff last.

Granite is good looking, but also expensive, granite also needs to be sealed each year or you risk the chance of bacteria build up as granite is porous also if not properly sealed it can stain.

Corian is an attractive product, the seemless sinks are beautiful, but Corian scratches fairly easy, if the scratch isn't do deep it can be buffed out, but I have other projects to neglect other than buffing out counter tops

Laminate the old stand by, some great colors and designs & the cheapest material to boot, lots of flash for small cash, can scratch, chip & crack.

Ceramick tile, lots of choices, fairly inexpensive -uneven, goo gets caught in the grout.

Wood Block, Beautiful classy needs to maintained and very expensive

If it where my house and I was staying long term I would go with Silestone,hands down.
if I was on a budget or flipping the house I'd probally go with one of the classy looking laminates...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
This is random, but I put a stainless soap dispensor next to my faucet and it's pretty much one of the most usefull things in my kitchen.
My hands are perpetually greasy so it eliminates a) fingerprints everywhere;
and b) a soap bottle always hanging around/in the sink.

And, sorry to change the subject, but... Narlus, what is that on your Avatar?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
FYI: I believe Silestone and Zodiac are basically the same thing (different manufactures).

In my opinion, Formica is an upgrade over tile. I HATE tile countertops...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
DRB said:
Why do I think that redoing the kitchen is going to suck beyond all sucking?
Set up a little mini-kitchen somewhere else in your house with a fridge (pref full size), water cooler (with a insta-hot is sweet), microwave, little cooktop, and make sure you have a decent table w/chairs. And easy access to a sink for washing dishes.

Nothing sucks more than eating off your lap for 3 months, or eating out every single day.

Oh, bbq's work wonders too for being able to cook a normal meal without a kitchen.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Biscuit said:
Set up a little mini-kitchen somewhere else in your house with a fridge (pref full size), water cooler (with a insta-hot is sweet), microwave, little cooktop, and make sure you have a decent table w/chairs. And easy access to a sink for washing dishes.

Nothing sucks more than eating off your lap for 3 months, or eating out every single day.

Oh, bbq's work wonders too for being able to cook a normal meal without a kitchen.
DRB, it's gotta be better than my situation...no running water on the ground floor for ~10 weeks, everything crammed into one room (small table for eating, folding card table acted as pantry, fridge, the old kitchen island had a microwave and hot plate), i was working very long hours and my wife had to deal w/ a 6 month and 2.5 year old. we had a sink in the basement which was our dishwasher.

edit - and this was from Oct through Dec, in the chilly northeast

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
narlus said:
DRB, it's gotta be better than my situation...no running water on the ground floor for ~10 weeks, everything crammed into one room (small table for eating, folding card table acted as pantry, fridge, the old kitchen island had a microwave and hot plate), i was working very long hours and my wife had to deal w/ a 6 month and 2.5 year old. we had a sink in the basement which was our dishwasher.

edit - and this was from Oct through Dec, in the chilly northeast
Well we already use a card table and folding chairs as a kitchen table so that won't be that much different.

Our friends just finished their remodel (it involved walls and some rebuilding) it stretched to almost 5 months. They designed it themselves (first mistake) and then they contracted it themselves (second mistake). At their behest we are getting a designer to review our thoughts and plans and then getting a contractor to handle the rest.

But the choosing the color, materials and all the other crap is going to be the killer.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
N8 said:
On the otherhand, laminate countertops are inexpensive, and are easily repalced later.

Pretty much what I was going to say..... do the cheap one now to just get you into your house and then upgrade them later when you have the money. :)