Quantcast

Kitchen Disasters

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
two kinds, big messes and inedible.

1. not sure if it's when I left the lid off the blender pureeing split peas for soup, or when the food processor exploded while grating carrots for carrot cake.

2. Salmon mousse for French class way back when. It looked like cat vomit.

What was yours?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Well, I slipped carrying a bucket with 300* canola oil once, Which resulted in me getting some gnar burns on my back.

Thats about it I think...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
There are so many big ones from working in food service. Not too many at home. I had this olive oil spray jar thing that I used in place of PAM or some other non stick spray. I had finished using it and pumped it up so it would be ready for next time. It exploded and to this day I have huge drops of olive oil all over the walls in my kitchen. If I knew I would be living here for a long time I would have fixed it. But I am not priming and painting that kitchen.

Inedible will go to TN's pretzel cookies that had so much baking soda in them it made our mouths numb.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
A few years ago, my wife was on strict bed rest while pregnant with our twins and we weren't allowed to travel to visit family for Thanksgiving. We decided to get together with some other friends who were going to be in the area as well. We divided up the menu and we were responsible for a few "easy" things - dinner salad, mashed potatos, etc. Things got real tense when, along with the vegetable trimmings from prepping the salad, potato skins went into the garbage disposal. The sink backed-up and was not draining. (And since we were hosting the dinner, we needed to have a functioning sink/kitchen). I tried everything to try to unclog resulting in making quite a mess all over the kitchen. Finally, I had to completely disassemble the disposal (which I had never done before in this house) and snake the drain pipe. What a freakin mess! I smashed my head pretty good while trying to get under the sink, but I finally got things working again. By the time our friends arrived, the sink was working, the kitchen was clean, and the mashed potatos were done. :)

My wife watched the whole string of events from the couch in our living room unable to help at all. Quite humorous now when we look back on it. It must've been funny to see me going crazy in the kitchen. Don't put potato peels in the sink disposal!

toby

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
laura said:
Inedible will go to TN's pretzel cookies that had so much baking soda in them it made our mouths numb.
Are you sure that was baking soda?

I made the mistake of making chili in a cheap aluminum pot. Throw in a stainless steel spoon and a little bit of electrolysis ate a hole in the bottom of the pot.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Westy said:
Are you sure that was baking soda?

I made the mistake of making chili in a cheap aluminum pot. Throw in a stainless steel spoon and a little bit of electrolysis ate a hole in the bottom of the pot.
it was actually a sensation not unlike rubbing cocaine on your gums and teeth. I imagine it was what crack would taste like if crack had chocolate chip cookies in it.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
chocolate chip cookies ARE crack.

My mom wanted to show us her new cool way of getting ketchup out of the bottle. She spun it in a wide arc over her head, the centrifugal force worked really well.... too bad she forgot to put on the lid. We had a ketchup streak across the cathedral ceiling for years.

OMGF and I had just gotten an ice cream maker. We decided what better way to break it in than make chocolate ice cream? He followed the directions... which involved putting hot cream in a processor with the already processed chocolate.... turns out there was too much of everything in there.... so chocolate all over the counter. WE got that mess cleaned up. On to just pouring the ingredients into the ice cream maker....

when things freeze, they expand.... so, we had chocolate all over the ice cream maker, the counter, the floor (dogs had a blast), and in the sink.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
In an old apartment I lived in, we were on the second floor and had a leaky dishwasher. The wall next to it was always mushy and the manager would never do anything. One day, while washing the dishes the whole thing just erupted and sent a cascade of grey water into our downstairs neighbors kithchen. Basically ruining their Thanksgiving turkey and ham. :(

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Oh and my major culinary disaster has to be the time I tried to make fondue. I couldn't get the cheese to melt properly and after a while I just had this seperated mess of cheese and liquid that was like tar floating in wine.

$20 of Gruyere in the garbage.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
laura said:
There are so many big ones from working in food service. Not too many at home. I had this olive oil spray jar thing that I used in place of PAM or some other non stick spray. I had finished using it and pumped it up so it would be ready for next time. It exploded and to this day I have huge drops of olive oil all over the walls in my kitchen. If I knew I would be living here for a long time I would have fixed it. But I am not priming and painting that kitchen.

To the former - ha (1 ha) because i did something almost identical with one of those stove-top expresso devices. I got distracted while it was pressurizing and when i came back into the house and the kitchen, permanent coffee splotches marked the walls and ceiling. had to paint twice to get it hidden before the wife came home from a visit with friends.

To the latter - hahhaahhahahah (endless ha's) - food with special excitment!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
laura said:
it was actually a sensation not unlike rubbing cocaine on your gums and teeth. I imagine it was what crack would taste like if crack had chocolate chip cookies in it.
the fact that you know what cocaine on your gums and teeth feels like scares me.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
my mom once opened up a pressure cooker thing without relieving the pressure...

a bunch of squishy carrots hit the ceiling.

what's with my mom and food on the ceiling?