Quantcast

Kitchen tools...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'm in class right now, my friend has an assignment that I did last year where he has to think of a kitchen tool that could use improvement, and then design the new version of it. So, since I'm not in the kitchen much, which kitchen tool could use improvements and what would the improvements be? I cant think of anything.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All kitchen knives should be about 18" long and have handles that can be held with two hands and swung from over head. They should also have a cutout on the dull side near the handle that can be used as a bottle opener. As a matter of fact every utensil in the kitchen should have a bottle opener on it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
All kitchen knives should be about 18" long and have handles that can be held with two hands and swung from over head. They should also have a cutout on the dull side near the handle that can be used as a bottle opener. As a matter of fact every utensil in the kitchen should have a bottle opener on it.

I suppose the bottle opener could be better......... :p

-S.S.-

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
dwaugh said:
I'm in class right now, my friend has an assignment that I did last year where he has to think of a kitchen tool that could use improvement, and then design the new version of it. So, since I'm not in the kitchen much, which kitchen tool could use improvements and what would the improvements be? I cant think of anything.
The stove could stir stuff for you.

In the lab we have stir-plates & stir-bars. You drop a bar (they come in different sizes & shapes) into a jar of whatever you want to stir, then put the jar on the plate. The bar is magnetic, the plate has a variable speed contoller that makes the magnet spin. Stirs your stuff for you.

Slow cooking tomato sauce or soup, I've often wished for a big stir-bar for the pot. Sees like easy tech. to incorporate.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Hmmm... You could improve on the pizza cutter somehow. I know mine is a POS. Or create s super tool... a knife/spoon/fork/canopener/bottle opener/garbage compressor/trash can. Or how about a stove that turns itself off when there is nothing on it?

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Infrared sensors over a range that detect the temperature of the food you are cooking, and adjusts the heat source accordingly.

Could also be used to prevent unattended food from burning/boiling over.

EDIT:

Purpose-built dough kneader with a ton of torque to handle large amounts of stiff dough (burned out my kitchenaid making bagel dough :mumble: )

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
dwaugh said:
Here are a couple nice ones; as far as improvements go, very few spring to mind.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
quadricolour said:
Infrared sensors over a range that detect the temperature of the food you are cooking, and adjusts the heat source accordingly.

Could also be used to prevent unattended food from burning/boiling over.

EDIT:

Purpose-built dough kneader with a ton of torque to handle large amounts of stiff dough (burned out my kitchenaid making bagel dough :mumble: )
can I have your bagel recipe?