Quantcast

kitchenaid stand mixer

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
found a smoking deal on the fancy pro one, went in w/ family to get one for my wife's bday.

of the attachments available for it, any must haves?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
found a smoking deal on the fancy pro one, went in w/ family to get one for my wife's bday.

of the attachments available for it, any must haves?

No idea. But some friends had a large Hobart stand mixer in the house they rented in college. One night after a party they decided to throw a bunch of half empty booze/beer bottles in it while it was running at full chat. Every square inch of that kitchen, including the ceiling was coated in tiny razor sharp bits of glass glued into place by dried out stickiness. It took them days to clean it up and almost died of blood loss.

So don't do that.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Not sure we've ever used any attachments in our 8 years of ownership. I could see having the pasta maker, or maybe the grinder, but unless you'll be doing that sorta thing frequently, I haven't run into any "must haves".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What's the tl;dr?
It was way better than expected and is pretty much a commercial quality item, worth the money.
Also, there is no TLDR for an AVE vid, I watched a video on a Dyson hair drier and I hardly even have any hair.
If they had an Engineer in Letterkenny, it would be Uncle BUMBLEFUCK, the bloke is pretty damn funny!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't help but to think there aren't enough available attachments for a stand blender. What about a post hole digger? Concrete mixer perhaps?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It was way better than expected and is pretty much a commercial quality item, worth the money.
Also, there is no TLDR for an AVE vid, I watched a video on a Dyson hair drier and I hardly even have any hair.
If they had an Engineer in Letterkenny, it would be Uncle BUMBLEFUCK, the bloke is pretty damn funny!
i've got kids. i struggle to get 45 consecutive minutes to exercise yet alone watch a single yt vid

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm late, but the pasta attachments = must have. Once you start down the fresh pasta road, you can never go back. We got chickens just to have fresh eggs for homemade pasta. I've been eyeballing the sausage grinder.

I don't remember, but does the dough hook come with the machine? Cause you definitely need that too.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I'm late, but the pasta attachments = must have. Once you start down the fresh pasta road, you can never go back. We got chickens just to have fresh eggs for homemade pasta. I've been eyeballing the sausage grinder.

I don't remember, but does the dough hook come with the machine? Cause you definitely need that too.
Mine came with wisk, kneader, and dough hook

Pasta maker is so fast and easy

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

Ours did. Machine has gotten a lot of use in the ~15 years we've had it. popped the cover and cleaned/re-greased the motor a couple times is all. It and out Cuisinart food processor take up precious counter space in the tiny kitchen, but are so worth the trade-off for the amount of use they get.

This thread is making me really want the pasta attachment bits...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
update: wife was thrilled. she baked a batch of cookies saturday afternoon (which were awesome) and she's already looking at the attachments that are available.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Update to his update.
Bought a cheapy that only is a roller / spaghetti / fettuccine 3 in 1 tool. First attempt making pasta and the kitchen looks like one of those Family Circus comics where "hey Mommy we made breakfast" occurred.

This will work for now while I dial in a preferred recipe. We mostly do our pasta with sheeted stuff or shaped pastas anyway so being able to roll it out and not have to spend time doing it by hand is at least somewhat key.

Hooked. Very meditative. Learned much off this first lesson.
20210228_165539.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
update: wife was thrilled. she baked a batch of cookies saturday afternoon (which were awesome) and she's already looking at the attachments that are available.
Sweet!

It (and our Cuisinart food processor) get inordinately more use than I ever thought they would. We devote precious counter space in our little galley kitchen to them. Even just cooking for (mostly) only two people, the amount of time and labor (even including clean up) they save is wonderful. Well worth the money spent.

Best money spent when we bought the house and half-assedly renovated the kitchen was having the gas line from the furnace/h20 heater extended a bit to feed a GE Profile stove/oven. I grew up cooking on electric - cooking with gas was a revelation.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Update to his update.
Bought a cheapy that only is a roller / spaghetti / fettuccine 3 in 1 tool. First attempt making pasta and the kitchen looks like one of those Family Circus comics where "hey Mommy we made breakfast" occurred.

This will work for now while I dial in a preferred recipe. We mostly do our pasta with sheeted stuff or shaped pastas anyway so being able to roll it out and not have to spend time doing it by hand is at least somewhat key.

Hooked. Very meditative. Learned much off this first lesson. View attachment 157207
A "Pasta drying tree" is a handy addition. A variety of shapes/materials are of course available on Amazon or at your local kitchen appliance store.