Quantcast

Kitsuma Coiler

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yay? Nay?

For a Banshee Titan with a fatass rider. Asking for a "friend".

I found a 2021 version, used but recently serviced, for much less than retail on the latest. Any known differences?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What are the differences between a CCDB and a Kitsuma, other than the tool-free adjusters?
Just looked on their site and the "regular" CCDB isn't listed anymore, just the DB Kitsuma air/coil and the DB Inline air/coil.

Maybe nothing other than fancy adjusters and the 3 position switch?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Different internals and damping curves, but same basic principle behind them. Trail side tuning is actually nicer than I thought it'd be for getting set up, much easier and faster to spend 2 seconds, come to a stop and turn a knob a click and then start riding again than stop and break out the tools at the bottom of the run.

If I already had a CCDB I probably wouldn't bother to upgrade until its toast and ready to be replaced, But if buying new seems pretty worth it.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
How cheap is cheap? The Cane Creek shocks get expensive fast because they recommend 100 hour/yearly full rebuilds and wont sell kits so that yearly rebuild is going to cost you $170 + your cost of shipping in. So after 3 years of ownership you pay the same in servicing as buying a new bomber CR and servicing that for 3 years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How cheap is cheap? The Cane Creek shocks get expensive fast because they recommend 100 hour/yearly full rebuilds and wont sell kits so that yearly rebuild is going to cost you $170 + your cost of shipping in. So after 3 years of ownership you pay the same in servicing as buying a new bomber CR and servicing that for 3 years.
That's a good point. Does real world use actually require that yearly rebuild?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
That's a good point. Does real world use actually require that yearly rebuild?
Not sure. Mine died (air piston disconnected from shaft because screws have no engagement) and was covered under warranty so I cant really comment, but it did come back from service acting better than I ever remember it. I would think the coil shock should last longer between rebuilds than air since there isnt 150psi+ worth of pressure trying to force air into the damper fluid through the rod seal.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The latest I've been told (from a local Suspension warranty centre for all kinds of brands), CC doesn't bother replacing the seals in the sealhead... they just replace the whole assembly, which costs more. I have a Kitsuma Air that I just had rebuilt. They replaced the IFP with the bladder and it looks like they swapped out the piston for a newer version. Clearly I had an early version, I just don't remember when they were released. Hopefully the one you're looking at has the updates installed.

Every review I've read has been fairly positive. I just hope they beefed up the sealhead in the coil to reduce that side to side slop the CCDBs had.

edit. I wanted to test out the Kitsuma on the trail bike to see if the rebuild (and new piston) made the shock more compliant. I forgot how tight the eyelets were. The reducer is such a tight fit, I had to use a vise and even it was too much of a PITA. Good thing the Titan has trunnion!

Last edited: