Quantcast

Kittenses question.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My bleeding heart gf signed us up to be kitten foster parents from the local shelter (you house kittens until they get adopted so they don't get offed). Anywho, we currently have a three week old pair of siblings. The sister (I think I'm going to name her Genghis) came out of the womb wrong, and has some brain damage. Most notably, her rear legs don't work very well. Another issue is that she tends to be pretty clueless when it comes to pooping/peeing. She's aware she is, but she has no impetus to bury it, and just goes wherever (her brother is using the box fine, now that he's been shown).

Anyone else had a cat like this? I'm not sure how to "force" litterbox training on her. Putting her in the box mid-poop, or immediately before/after doesn't seem to have an effect. I've grown attached to the little retard, and it would suck if she had to be put down because of this.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Sounds like she may have been born premature. Did you know that cats can get impregnated multiple times with the same litter? Some babies can be conceived a few days later than others. They are usually all born when the oldest (first-conceived) are ready. I have a cat that was born a couple days early. His two brothers were much bigger than he was and one of them blocked the birth canal. They both died, but the mother was rushed to the vet and Eddie survived the C-section alone. His legs were under-developed when he was born. He didn't even develop hip sockets until weeks after he was born. A couple days makes a big difference in kittens' development because the gestation period is so short. Eddie is fine now (He just jumped up into my lap). His back legs are not 100%, but he gets around fine and can jump OK.

The little girl will probably be OK in a few weeks. Cats learn from each other. Put her in the cat box when her brother is going and she will likely start to pick up on what he is doing.

Or she may just be a retard and you will have to make diapers for her.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sounds like she may have been born premature. Did you know that cats can get impregnated multiple times with the same litter? Some babies can be conceived a few days later than others. They are usually all born when the oldest (first-conceived) are ready. I have a cat that was born a couple days early. His two brothers were much bigger than he was and one of them blocked the birth canal. They both died, but the mother was rushed to the vet and Eddie survived the C-section alone. His legs were under-developed when he was born. He didn't even develop hip sockets until weeks after he was born. A couple days makes a big difference in kittens' development because the gestation period is so short. Eddie is fine now (He just jumped up into my lap). His back legs are not 100%, but he gets around fine and can jump OK.

The little girl will probably be OK in a few weeks. Cats learn from each other. Put her in the cat box when her brother is going and she will likely start to pick up on what he is doing.

Or she may just be a retard and you will have to make diapers for her.
Thanks for the advice - that was my logic...give her a few weeks and see where she's at. She's definitely pretty unadoptable right now.

seriously. I keep them in my refrigerator box down by the river.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
The breeder of my cat, Eddie, was going to put him down when she found out that he had no hip sockets since he was suddenly worthless monetarily. He was supposed to have been sold as a breeding male for $2500. His father won 1st place in a west coast cat show as best Maine Coon. My wife and I liked him and decided to take a chance. He is one of the best cats I have ever had. He's more like a dog sometimes, following me around and hanging out with me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The breeder of my cat, Eddie, was going to put him down when she found out that he had no hip sockets since he was suddenly worthless monetarily. He was supposed to have been sold as a breeding male for $2500. His father won 1st place in a west coast cat show as best Maine Coon. My wife and I liked him and decided to take a chance. He is one of the best cats I have ever had. He's more like a dog sometimes, following me around and hanging out with me.
no hip sockets? explain how that works plz

also, how do you like your maine coon? Right now its on the top of my list for next cat

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
no hip sockets? explain how that works plz

also, how do you like your maine coon? Right now its on the top of my list for next cat
His muscles had developed to compensate for the lack of hip sockets. He would hop like a rabbit. Now he walks a little funny and his hips pop sometimes when I pick him up, but it doesn't seem to bother him.

I actually have two Maine Coons. They are awesome cats. They keep you busy. Unlike most cats, they want a lot of interaction. They like to play with interactive toys. They are very hard to ignore unless they are asleep. As I sit here typing, my other Maine Coon has jumped up on the desk for attention.

They greet you at the door when you come home, like a dog. They cry for you when you leave. I call them my dog-cats.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
His muscles had developed to compensate for the lack of hip sockets. He would hop like a rabbit. Now he walks a little funny and his hips pop sometimes when I pick him up, but it doesn't seem to bother him.
Mine had a bit of that same deal I bet...He walked a bit funny and would lie down flat on his belly with his hind legs stretched out directly behind him like a dog. It was the funniest damn thing to see a cat do it, any one that came over thought he was the coolest cat...I always thought he was a bit "slow"...;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I actually have two Maine Coons. They are awesome cats. They keep you busy. Unlike most cats, they want a lot of interaction. They like to play with interactive toys. They are very hard to ignore unless they are asleep. As I sit here typing, my other Maine Coon has jumped up on the desk for attention.

They greet you at the door when you come home, like a dog. They cry for you when you leave. I call them my dog-cats.
Girlfriend and I have 2 persians, personalities and behaviors sound rather similar. Size, on the other hand...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
As an FYI to Blue, one of our kittens had similar issues, and we solved it by:

1) Start them off in a SMALL space that only has room for a bed and a litter box. We had to keep reducing the size of the area till they (we put the 2nd one in as well, even though he figured out the litter box almost immediately) were in the stand-up shower. One big litter box, one blanket. If they didn't want to poop where they slept, it was their only choice to use the box. Also keep the sides very low, since it sounds like she would have trouble getting in/out.

2) Ours had some very, very nasty parasites that kept him from wanting to use the same litter box. So he would go in weird places like behind the bathroom door, behind the toilet, right NEXT to the litterbox, etc. Something is hard-wired into cats brains that when they're not feeling well they go poop somewhere else. Once we cleared that up, he started using the litter box.

Hope this helps.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
yeah they are serious $$. IIRC selling them just as pets (ie no paperwork included so they can't be shown, bred from, etc) is still over $1000.

This was probably the frienliest cat i've ever met, he'd follow you around like a dog, come f you called his name, basically evrything short of fetching :) Mind you, you really didn't want to get in the way of his claws :shocked:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm so already a member.

Any of you guys have issues with your cats teeth? Persians tend to be prone to it. One of ours had a really bad gum infection and the old vet didn't catch it. Moved across the country, new vet caught it. Went under the knife, wound up removing more than half his teeth. I call him snaggle tooth now. Has his 2 top canine teeth and 1 bottom 1 left, and i think a few others. huge change in personality after the operation too, and definitely for the better!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
As an FYI to Blue, one of our kittens had similar issues, and we solved it by:

1) Start them off in a SMALL space that only has room for a bed and a litter box. We had to keep reducing the size of the area till they (we put the 2nd one in as well, even though he figured out the litter box almost immediately) were in the stand-up shower. One big litter box, one blanket. If they didn't want to poop where they slept, it was their only choice to use the box. Also keep the sides very low, since it sounds like she would have trouble getting in/out.

2) Ours had some very, very nasty parasites that kept him from wanting to use the same litter box. So he would go in weird places like behind the bathroom door, behind the toilet, right NEXT to the litterbox, etc. Something is hard-wired into cats brains that when they're not feeling well they go poop somewhere else. Once we cleared that up, he started using the litter box.

Hope this helps.
Talked with a vet tech friend and she actually suggested trying option 1. I setup a little pen for them, but now I'm pretty sure Alta the kitten is incontinent. She doesn't seem to have any control over when she goes (like all over her bed), nor the impetus to clean herself off when her ass is covered in feces/urine.

I'm going to take her to the vet this week, but I don't have high hopes. This sucks. She's a sweet little cat with almost zero chance of getting adopted by anyone. :(