Quantcast

KMC X-9SL Superlight Chain Gold

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
travis no need to ask about durability on these chains, this is the only chain the team runs. best chain on the market hands down. shifts amazing!

and yes the durability is very good on this chain.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
What is the "advantage" of running a nice chain, i ride the cheapest 9 speed chains i can get and they hit every gear, what does this do that is so nice (except huge bling factor)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
KMC X9SL is one of the lightest and strongest chains on the market, it pedals super "easy" and shifts very smooth. i usually put a brand new chain on the weekend of a big race, US Open, National Champs... it just pedals amazing and shifts on point.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
What is the "advantage" of running a nice chain, i ride the cheapest 9 speed chains i can get and they hit every gear, what does this do that is so nice (except huge bling factor)
Lighter, better pin riveting is stronger when side loaded, TiNi coating may reduce wear and friction. I've never had a problem with lower end Sram chains but was due for a new one and got the X9SL-Ti. It maybe shifts faster and I'm hoping the reduced weight means reduced chain hopping and slap.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I had a few bad experiences with the KMC X9SL. Slapped one one and within a few months it had broke in three different places. With one break both outer plates were long gone somewhere on the trail, the other two had an outer plate peeled back. The chain was shortened when installed and put back together with a quick link, meaning the chain broke all three times at a factory joined spot. Checked my rings/cass for burrs and found nothing, no issue w/ previous chain or the one that was put on after the KMC went in the can. I've heard nothing bad about them before mine sucked so I'm guessing something happened w/ my X9 SL at the factory. Semi related: years ago I had a Wipperman chain that wasn't done right and it failed ever 20 mins of riding!

I'm sure your X9SL will be fine, as everyones else has been... just thought I'd share my experience.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Semi related: years ago I had a Wipperman chain that wasn't done right and it failed ever 20 mins of riding!

LOL Ahh Wipperman i had one fail while riding with the wife I pedalled really hard up an embankment to hit a hip over the hedge and land on the other side. During a really hard pedal stroke it snapped sending me head over heals into the hedge and rolled out on the otherside. Wife was so embarresed she left me there I had to ghost coast the bike all the way back 2 miles. (happened outside a marina restraunt where people got a good show! LOL :thumb:

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Your wife sucks

edit: I hope there is more to the story than that, because as it stands, your wife sounds horrible

Last edited:

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
I found that the biggest difference is that more expensive chains seem to be more resistant to rust. Cheap Shimano chains (HG73 and lower) get very bad very fast no matter how you treat them...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Your wife sucks

edit: I hope there is more to the story than that, because as it stands, your wife sounds horrible
NOPE! LOL thats about the jist of it.
I manual and do stoppies all over shes embarresed by it says only kids on BMX bikes do it ehh whatever. As long as she thinks these bikes cost sub $1500 and leaves me alone to race and ride Im cool with it!
:thumb:

Tamo

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Sweden
I have one on my bike. Probably shifts the same as a cheaper chain but if you want a light chain and bling on your bike its the best :thumb:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I just put X9 Sl chains on both my bikes and the improvement in shift quality/speed is staggering compaired to the Sram 991's I was running. Particularly on my DH bike which has a Dura Ace road cassette.