Quantcast

KMC-X9-sl

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I posted a thread on RM a while back asking about these chains. To say they got a positive review would be an understatement. I orderred a couple of them for my bikes. For fun I cruised over to MTBR to check the reviews over there and noticed that they didn't fair so well........mind you the review is for the X9, not the sl.
So I'll ask again.........How are people making out with these chains? How's the strength, reliability, and how does the ti-ni coating hold up?

cheers

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I've had one for a few years and its held up just fine. Its on my dh bike, but I have pedaled it up some hills as hard as I could push the pedals and it didn't protest.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Mine let go in a wreck (not sure how) but lasted well. Have 2 on order as I want it on my trail bike now.

Never really trusted MTBR for reviews. Far too many posts from those that are bitter or overly excited shiny part tarts happy with a new acquisition.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've been on X9s for the past few years with any issues. Recently switched to the X9SL (gold) and it's been fine as well. It doesn't really save much in terms of weight - but of course adds a little gold bling.

toby

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i love my X9sl's they are amazing when they are brand new, never thought youd be able to tell that big of a difference with a chain. i usually put a brand new chain on for big races like the US open or national champs just to get that extra bit of smoothness to its pedaling and shifting.

X9sl for life.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
I have almost 1 year on a gold x9sl. It has been perfect. The gold coating is starting to wear on the edges where the chainguide rubs, but thats hardly a complaint!!
Seems to be lasting longer than my sram 991 chains I used to run....

Simmo

Chimp
Jul 5, 2005
Hitchin, UK
x9 sl is my favoured chain.

I've snapped brand new sram hollow pins, and always seem to get stiff link issues with the normal 991 and cross step, so for the foreseeable future i'll be using these.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
My X9SL has been good, but like it has already been said the gold coating has worn off on the raised part of the plate that rubs on my chainguide. If that's the most I can complain about then life is good.