Quantcast

Knee and elbow pads, whats best?

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I have been out of the "equipment game" for a few years. It seems that a new pair of knees are released every month. I have been riding a set of troy lee lopes for the last 3 years but they always slip down some and protecting my knee is hell of alot more important than my shin. What seems to be the best knee's out there? I want to start wearing elbows as well? Any advice on what to get.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I use the same Fox pads as Uncle Cliffy. They are pretty decent. There is soft padding all around the knee and there is a somewhat hard plastic cap that sits ontop of the kneecap area. I've crashed on them a few times and they protected my knees and held up well to damage. There is some sort of abrasion resistant material on the main part of the knee. I've also found that they don't move much. The only downside is that they can be a bit warm.

I would also suggest the Fox Launch pads. They cover the knee and the shin. These are excellent if you tend to chew your shins up with your pedals. These are also a lot cooler to wear than the Launch Pro's. I also find that with the exterior being completely plastic, they slide over whatever you are falling onto a lot nicer. The only downside compared to the Launch Pro pads, are that they aren't quite as secure of a fit. But they do work.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It's a shame that Dainese doesn't make it's Bib leg armour anymore. EVERY leg armour I've tried back in the day sucked because they were never secure. If you have skinny legs, I'm sure a lot of the options available today would work. If you have beefier thighs, I can see the upper part of any leg armour sag a bit and then have the knee armour bunch up. I'll be sifting all the leg armour options soon as well.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I like the Fox Launch elbows, and aside from being a little too warm in the summertime, the RF Flank knee pads work really well. I hear the newer version breathes better, but haven't seen them up close to compare.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I use the same Fox pads as Uncle Cliffy. They are pretty decent. There is soft padding all around the knee and there is a somewhat hard plastic cap that sits ontop of the kneecap area.
Is it the similar to the plastic in Kyle Straits or whatever they're called now, not truly a hard shell?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you want hardshell/plastic than POC beats everything out of the water in every cathegory. Comfort, protection, durability. I love my POC elbows.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
If you want hardshell/plastic than POC beats everything out of the water in every cathegory. Comfort, protection, durability. I love my POC elbows.
To be honest the hardshell elbows suck, at least they did for me, i have rather thin arms, i replaced them with 661 3DO ellbows which worked better still not perfect though. so i am still looking for the perfect elbow protection.

i LOVE and i mean absolutely love my POC hardshell knee protectors!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
To be honest the hardshell elbows suck, at least they did for me, i have rather thin arms, i replaced them with 661 3DO ellbows which worked better still not perfect though. so i am still looking for the perfect elbow protection.

i LOVE and i mean absolutely love my POC hardshell knee protectors!
I think Jon spoke about some generation difference. I too have thin arms (even when fat people think I'm skinny) so I'm surprised you had problems with yours.

The knees are awesome too, tried them for a while but had to buy something fast and went for a*. Not as good but comfy

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I'd like to give the 2013 Alpinestars a shot. They look pretty good and a lot of folks gave 'em props here recently. Who knows until you try them out and see how well they crash.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I like the newer 661 Rage Elbow and have skinny arms. It's a hardshell but has the best fit of all elbows and stays in place! I usually don't wear elbows but got a pair of them for my Whister trip this past Fall. After I put em on I barely noticed I was wearing elbow protection the whole trip. I rock the new 661 EVO knee for DH most of the time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's a lot of good stuff out these days. This might seem like sort of a "duh" statement: but make sure you get something that fits. proper fitment definitely helps it stay in place. and that's important.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I still ride the old TLDs, but am interested in the 2013 Leatt 3DFs... partly because the price of 'em is 40% less than the competitors. They don't seem to be available yet, and/or initial run already sold out.

New TLD designs don't appear to be very sturdy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yes, catheters can be gory.
I guess after 7k posts I don't get a pass if I claim English is my 2nd language? ;)

I'm with on the check if it fits part though. Ordered body armor without fitting once, 2nd worst biking purchase of my life just after atomlab clipless pedals.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Naah, it's me writing fast at work. That error is stupid given I worked as a translator for 2 years.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been digging my Kali Aazis 130. They're basically a generic kneepad with a shin extender. That's great if you ever hit your shin on anything (pedals, flying shale). They have some issue staying in place, but I think that has more to do with me being at the bottom of the size range than bad design. With a little sweat, they stay in place just fine.