Quantcast

Knee Pad suggestions: under jeans, low profile

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Hey Y'all,

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding knee pads. I looked at old post and saw some mixed opinions there, but didn't really come across any pads I was unfamiliar with. I know I have seen, but cannot recall, pads advertised towards those sporting thew new-ish 'tight-pants' trend (no offense to anyone). Designed to be low profile and go under jeans.

The application is almost exclusively dirt jumping. I don't need real serious protection, aka heavy padding and plastic shell. But I need more than my aging, and recently red/purple and scabbed, knees.

Oh, I also checked out Dans Comp and found interesting the Shadow Conspiracy Knee Gasket Pad, but couldn't really tell if it was actually low profile, and if it would be wicked hot or not................. Swamp knee pit action while wearing pads would be great to avoid.

Thanks.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
661 Kyle Straits are good, also check on Danscomp for Team Blowin It pads. They make 2 kneepads designed for going under your pants; one with a hard inner shell, and one with a soft shell. I'm going to order some soon, Nate Wessel knows all!

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
661 is the way to go for non-shell type.
That having been said, I rock my roach hard-shells under jeans all the time.
(granted, I've lost 50 lbs in the past year, so have some baggy ass jeans now :P )

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Ooooh, yeah, those Federales do look pretty low profile.... Have you used them perchance? Are they simply sleeves, or do they have structured padding... can't quite tell from the picture.

thanks.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
661 is the way to go for non-shell type.
Wow, they do have a nice range of non-shell options. I have heard good things about the Kyle Straight and someone mentioned them above. Do you know anything about the Tomcat or veggie wrap? The Tomcat looks like too much pad. The veggie wrap looks pretty close to what I have been thinking, but will it provide enough protection to justify wearing it, I can't quite tell looking at it. Anyone have experience?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Race Face has the new Berrecloth under-jeans pads now. Pretty damn sweet.
I can't remember what I've got...but I fugging love the sh!t of them...

OK... I walked ALL THE WAY out side to check for you guys, and they're MPS...Mutation Protection Systems? I believe they're no longer in biz, tho. But my LBS can still get them...from somewhere...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
what about the WTP Fuse pads? I've "heard" (I know, weaksauce) they rule all, so can't offer my own advice on them, although I am looking into a pair!

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Thanks for all the good suggestions and links. I have decided to give the team blowin' it pads a try. I have always liked the way Wessel rides and builds ramps/parks, so I'm willing to go out an a 44$ limb for the pads. Plus, I like to support the little companies when it is reasonable to do so or when I'm choosing amongst equal items. I'll drop a little review of my impressions of them once I put a few hours on them.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'll be getting some here in a few days as well, as soon as you get 'em let us know how you like them. I've crashed on the 20" 5 or 6 times in the last few days trying new stuff and I need some new pads.