Quantcast

Knee Pads that will fit under CTI Brace.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Hi all,
I'm looking for Knee pads that will work with my CTI braces. The Patella cup that comes with them is pretty cheesey and I need other options. I think TLD knee pads will work but, but I need to see them on a real leg. If anyone else is wearing CTI braces and have found a good modification please share it if you can.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
You should never put that much material between you and your brace. Knee braces (especially CTI's or other custom braces) are meant to be fit as close to your skin as possible. A liner to prevent chafing is one thing, but if you can fit a whole pad between your knee and your brace, the brace is no longer tight or supportive enough to help you...

Last edited:

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
You should never put that much material between you and your brace. Knee braces (especially CTI's or other custom braces) are meant to be fit as close to your skin as possible. A liner to prevent chafing is one thing, but if you can fit a whole pad between your knee and your brace, the brace is no longer tight or supportive enough to help you...
Many of the new pads have come out in the last couple of years are nothing more than a sleeve with some space age shock absorbing material protecting the patella. I have a pair of sleeves that are made from wet suit material and thats pretty thick. I don't think I'll be compromising the brace function with the right pad.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've used the CTI brace w/ "moto kit" that you speak of for a couple of seasons (torn PCL). That's really all you need. It does seem cheesy, but it still works well enough. At least as good as any mtb pad.

If you are crashing that hard, then you need to worry about your knee ligaments (which is why you are wearing the brace in the first place) and not knee SKIN. Know what I mean?

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Although I no longer wear my CTI, when i did, I took an old 661 Kyle Strait knee pad and removed all the padding except for the knee cup. I found it really comfy, it didnt impede the brace's fit and actually improved migration over a long day.

My wife also found it worked well with her CTI, although she no longer wears her brace either.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I've used the CTI brace w/ "moto kit" that you speak of for a couple of seasons (torn PCL). That's really all you need. It does seem cheesy, but it still works well enough. At least as good as any mtb pad.
For durability sake, yes it's as good as any MTB pad. Call it paranoia but I keep imagining a nice sharp protruding rock slipping right in that gap under the cup where it velco's to the brace.

improved migration over a long day.
This is something I thought may be a benefit to using a pad underneath. Although migration isn't bad when I'm in shorts, but when I'm in moto pants it get sweaty and starts to migrate. It's a pain to re-adjust them in moto pants.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You're way to freaking paranoid to even bother riding if you think you're going to do that kind of damage. You shouldn't ride if you're that freaked out. I've ridden with my CTi knee pad for years and it's as good, if not better. When you fall, it can't move because the brace is so huge.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
You're way to freaking paranoid to even bother riding if you think you're going to do that kind of damage. You shouldn't ride if you're that freaked out. I've ridden with my CTi knee pad for years and it's as good, if not better. When you fall, it can't move because the brace is so huge.
Your just filled with positive feedback today.

Not freaked out, just don't like injury. Next year I'll be obsessing about wrist braces;-} LOL