Quantcast

knee pads

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm in need of some kneepads to take on a few cross country rides. One, we are going to do some rocky-ish types downhills and I don't want my knees totally exposed. Two, I have a pretty big gash on my left knee that's just started to scab and I don't want to risk having it open up again on a small fall.

My lbs carries a variety of Fox and 661, so that's my first choice. Thanks!

Andrew

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, a lightweight kneepad is the 661 Veggie Knee pad. Other knee pads are usually overbuilt for DJ and park.

Most people use full knee/shin guards. You are more likely to take in the shin than the knee, so covering both is preferred. 661 also makes a Race and a Race Lite. You might like the Race Lite.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
sanjuro said:
661 also makes a Race and a Race Lite. You might like the Race Lite.
Agreed. I have 661 Races. I wear them for DH and occasionally for trail riding. The Race Lites would be a little cooler on hot days, but I think the neoprene sleeve on the Races (as opposed just just a single strap above the knee on the Lites) holds them in place better. I am suprised by how little I notice them when just trail riding. My $.02...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I have the Veggie Wrap knee pads and they are pretty good - but I think I bought em a size too big.

You see I got some Medium 661 DJ knee pads and they were super tight, so I went for large Veggies and they are a little loose - wwell I really have to tighten the velcro straps big time. They'll get the job done for XC rides.

For more technical stuff I say full leg protection probably makes more sense.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
I have the Veggie Wrap knee pads and they are pretty good - but I think I bought em a size too big.

You see I got some Medium 661 DJ knee pads and they were super tight, so I went for large Veggies and they are a little loose - wwell I really have to tighten the velcro straps big time. They'll get the job done for XC rides.

For more technical stuff I say full leg protection probably makes more sense.
Listen to MMcG..he knows his knee pads. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've managed to give myself several bone bruises on my kneecap this year and am sick of it. Looks like the Fox North Shore are knee and shin pads, I'm just looking for knee pads. Any recommendations? This will be strictly for XC use so comfort and lack of chaffing are really important, I'd sacrifice some protection for it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:
I've managed to give myself several bone bruises on my kneecap this year and am sick of it. Looks like the Fox North Shore are knee and shin pads, I'm just looking for knee pads. Any recommendations? This will be strictly for XC use so comfort and lack of chaffing are really important, I'd sacrifice some protection for it.
i just don't think knee pads by themselves are going to work that well, simply because in the process of a crash, pads tend to shift and move. Unless you're talking about a simple stall crash where you lead with your knee, but most crashes tend to involve going over the bars with speed etc..
i may be wrong, but also i just can't see why you wouldn't want the whole deal anyways, why go halfway in protection. The shins are right in harms way along with them knees too... i know i'd be pissed at looking at a huge gouge from my shin and my unscathed knee pad from landing ackwardly in some rocks.:p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skookum said:
i just don't think knee pads by themselves are going to work that well, simply because in the process of a crash, pads tend to shift and move. Unless you're talking about a simple stall crash where you lead with your knee, but most crashes tend to involve going over the bars with speed etc..
i may be wrong, but also i just can't see why you wouldn't want the whole deal anyways, why go halfway in protection. The shins are right in harms way along with them knees too... i know i'd be pissed at looking at a huge gouge from my shin and my unscathed knee pad from landing ackwardly in some rocks.:p

I smash my shins up all the time. My shins have no moving part so a big gash or a nice bone bruise doesn't really bother me. I have arthritis in my knees and even medium size bumps make the knees swell up. The swelling further irritates the arthritis causing a chain reaction that takes weeks of Aleve and ice to get in control. Honestly I don't really care about my shins I'm just sick of not being able to ride, walk or sleep because of knee pain that is triggered by hitting them.