Quantcast

Knee pads

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I haven't seen a pair in person yet, but looking at them leaves me wondering. As a knee pad, they should take a beating, right? It looks like the padding is there, but the material holding them in place looks like roadie shorts. Kinda like disposable if you wreck? Anyone try these yet?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I recall an interesting intervention from a Race Face rep in the comments section of some knee pads piece on PB. The guy basically acknowledged they know fabric is the worst coverage for protection, but the general public can't stand the view of a plastic cap because they associate them with hardcore level riding and they think they're heavy than their purely textile counterparts.

Plus why would they sell you a set of knee pads able to survive more than a season, when they are "updating" the design year after year?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I recall an interesting intervention from a Race Face rep in the comments section of some knee pads piece on PB. The guy basically acknowledged they know fabric is the worst coverage for protection, but the general public can't stand the view of a plastic cap because they associate them with hardcore level riding and they think they're heavy than their purely textile counterparts.
Sweet! Let me give THAT guy's company some money.

Mountainbikers are idiots. Fortunately it's easy to get away from them now: just go ride your dh bike. Like the old days avoiding spandex. Now it's just avoiding bro shades and fanny packs but the effect is the same.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I can't help but wonder if I was wearing knee pads of some kind I could have avoided this...

Is there a bomber 2022 knee pad setup? I haven't bought a knee pad in more than 10 years.

Resized_20221008_174648.jpeg

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
My Leatt 3DF 6.0 have plastic covers on the knee and shin and are really comfortable. I literally forget they are there, no chafing and they never creep down. A bit pricey, but I got them on sale through CRC for les than half price. I'd buy again.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
not hard shells but I've been wearing the RF Ambush knees for a few years. They haven't shifted during a crash (yet) and aren't terribly uncomfortable. I mean, I'd never wear them on a trail/pedaling ride but always wear them descending. (most of my trails are up up up up up down)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
not hard shells but I've been wearing the RF Ambush knees for a few years. They haven't shifted during a crash (yet) and aren't terribly uncomfortable. I mean, I'd never wear them on a trail/pedaling ride but always wear them descending. (most of my trails are up up up up up down)
The only problem with the RF Ambush kneepads is that they refuse to die despite all my numerous crashes. Remember when you sold me your L pair, @Nick? I haven't removed the tags from them yet as my old pair just keeps trucking on even if the fabric has now some holes in it.
Btw. I wear them for all my trail riding and they have been fine even on the hottest+humidest New England summer days.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
For "sleeve" style pads, I've had good luck with TLD Stages. Yes the back is a delicate mesh, but by some miracle I haven't torn it. The fabric on the face is fairly tough. I've taken several spills in them and they never move because the sleeve goes quite high up the thigh and low down the calve. The D30 insert is precurved to fit your knee, so I find they stay in place much better than the Fox Enduro ones I had before. My first set of these pads is about 1.5 years old, and the only issue with them is the silicon isn't as grippy from many, many washes. I got a second set this spring to rotate in, and they had the silicon compression strip from the back of the knee fall off, but the rest of the pad is in good shape. Yeah they're not as burly as RF Ambushes, but I've put in some full days of pedaling on them and never had to readjust them or get any chafing.

I like the concept of having a hard rubber/plastic skid plate like some pads do, but unfortunately the rest of those pads don't work for me as a pedal-friendly pad. The Leatt Hybrid I really wanted to like, but the sleeve just isn't long enough, so they'd rub pretty bad once I worked up a good sweat (plus the silicon grippers were really minimal). POC makes a pad with a vented hard face, but the 2 other POC pads I've used have been just awful for rubbing (same story, short sleeve, wimpy silicon grippers) so I never tried them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
RF Ambush on my trail bike.
POC DH on the big bike (plastic shell on front, but I don't think they make them any longer)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Leatt Hybid EXT are pretty ok.
Full leg, fabric knee, but hard shell on the shins.
Viscoelastic padding.
So far they have stayed put during dirt samples.

Favoritist have been the old Nukepoof Critical full leg.
Hard knee and shin, stayed put in a crash and oh so comfortable.
Would love to see them redo it with the new fancy foams for padding.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My G-forms didn't stay up during an enderpo race and I ended up falling once...scraping the heck out of my knee due to the pads that had migrated down.

I'm of the opinion that pads need to be integrated into chamois so they don't migrate down. That's the only foolproof way I can see it, without having to tighten your pads to the point of cutting off circulation.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
all fabric covered knee pads :rofl:

douchebags who write 'reviews' on pads without ever crashing in them = the state of this former sport
Most review sites make me want to punch people. Was looking at brakes and most people recomending weaker brakes because good brakes "may have too much power for newer riders". FFS.

But yeah I dont get why so many people recommend we should look like we're extras in flashdance just because they don't crash.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have been using POC VPD Air knee pads for a bit, but I doubt I'll buy them again and will be looking for replacement soon.

They've stretched quite a bit since I first got them and unless I'm sweating buckets, they constantly feel like they are about to slide down.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My G-forms didn't stay up during an enderpo race and I ended up falling once...scraping the heck out of my knee due to the pads that had migrated down.

I'm of the opinion that pads need to be integrated into chamois so they don't migrate down. That's the only foolproof way I can see it, without having to tighten your pads to the point of cutting off circulation.
Fox actually makes a thing like that. I was intrigued by the idea too, but put off by having to use their specific chamois instead of my preferred one. And I also had the thought that the knee pad is going to always sit at a fixed distance from the crotch, so if you've got shorter legs than whatever sized model they used, the pads will be too low (or vice versa).

I had a couple pairs of the Sam Hills and they were good until they weren't. In an OTB, the course face fabric snagged something and ripped the fabric sock, so the padded part pulled down and knee got just as scraped as if I hadn't worn pads. They're really warm too. Too be fair, the sock rip also happened on the next pair of pads I tried (Fox Enduro Pro), and could happen on the Stages too. I've had similar crashes with the Stages though, and they stayed put... maybe the cupped D30 insert helps it stay in place better, or the face fabric is more slide-y.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"Everything I know about knee pads I learned from Dianese in 1999"

There are plenty of legit kneepads that have been made over the years. The problem is they often don't look smoove (plastic caps) and aren't comfortable to pedal uphill in (neoprene on skin which sticks, and/or rigid calf straps.....both of which hold things in place in a crash). So they only ever see one or two production years.

People buy the idea of knee pads more than they buy knee pads. That's why garters make sense.

I mean g-form sleeves? Come on. Might as well stick on a tissue with a loogie.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is kidwoo's ideal dh biker.

TLD helmet, hardshell pads, fetish netting and no pants.

Yeah I'm pretty well known for overpadding

"everything I don't understand must be old"

I just made fun of JM with a dianese joke so you have to clear at least 5 posts before doing it to me. Them's the rules.

Let me rephrase: Plenty of good pad designs MANY EVEN RECENTLY that don't sell because they don't look like fashion pieces, but work way better than the ones that do.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fox actually makes a thing like that. I was intrigued by the idea too, but put off by having to use their specific chamois instead of my preferred one. And I also had the thought that the knee pad is going to always sit at a fixed distance from the crotch, so if you've got shorter legs than whatever sized model they used, the pads will be too low (or vice versa).
It's true these two things could be a problem for some people but neither has been an issue for me. Cool product. Pretty much solves the problem of a pad slipping out of the way like some people mention, and no punter's gap. Worth at least trying for fit. The pads are a little stiff at first but get more flexible with body heat. I find them super comfortable and don't think about them when riding.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's true these two things could be a problem for some people but neither has been an issue for me. Cool product. Pretty much solves the problem of a pad slipping out of the way like some people mention, and no punter's gap. Worth at least trying for fit. The pads are a little stiff at first but get more flexible with body heat. I find them super comfortable and don't think about them when riding.
I like envisioning a crash that starts with knees but somehow ends up with your pants being pulled off

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Let me rephrase: Plenty of good pad designs MANY EVEN RECENTLY that don't sell because they don't look like fashion pieces, but work way better than the ones that do.
How about you drop a little bit of that knowledge and name some names?
I'm sure a few of us plebs may be interested in a couple decent knee pad choices.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, ive had 3 different seeming reputable ones in the last 5 years, endura, poc, g-form, that seem to suffer from the inherent issue that pads (not shin guards that rest on your shoe/foot) all migrate down over time and pedaling. So if there’s some magic knee pd that doesnt, im all ears, but skeptical.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How about you drop a little bit of that knowledge and name some names?
I'm sure a few of us plebs may be interested in a couple decent knee pad choices.

There's a lot of shit out there but for actual crashing, not pedaling 3 things keep pads in place, like really in place when you dig your knee into something. There's too much out there these days to give you a specific pad. I find something good and just keep buying them until they get discontinued. Plus legs are shaped differently.

-Hard caps to slide over rocks or at least slide better over rocks, not grab them and rip the pad down like fabric does

-Some sort of neoprene against your skin that doesn't budge once there's a little sweat on them. Doesn't need to be wetsuit caliber, there are some lighter fabrics out there

-Rigid, non-elastic calf strap. Elastic is a pedaling comfort thing, not a useful support for something you want to hold a pad in place in a real impact on the front. Your calf is the one place on your leg that isn't tapered down, it needs to be used.

One of biggest design flaws that people are still doing is that when fully bent the top of your knee gets exposed if the pad moves an inch. You know the one: You eat shit and have the TOP of your knee skinned up and your pad is below your kneecap... Some of the hinged knee brace designs and a few pads actually run protection up there.

Also look for something that doesn't have too much padding on the front, so much that the impact spot is several inches in front of your knee. This just gives the ground leverage to twist the thing off to the side when you hit the ground. Not every hit is a perfect 90deg angle into the dirt. Hard caps disperse impacts over a larger area so you can get away with thinner padding to get this.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I really like my Fox Launch Pro's They have stayed on my knees during climbs and taken the punishment of a crash or two without tears. You can take out the padding when it's time to defunkify them in the washing machine. My only complaint is my shins were unprotected when my front wheel sent a large rock at my shin. Left a bloody hole in my shin and a week-long limp to deal with.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I really like my Fox Launch Pro's They have stayed on my knees during climbs and taken the punishment of a crash or two without tears. You can take out the padding when it's time to defunkify them in the washing machine. My only complaint is my shins were unprotected when my front wheel sent a large rock at my shin. Left a bloody hole in my shin and a week-long limp to deal with.
I was just looking at those because I was searching for the pad tights to make fun of them. The D3Os look like a rigid/non-elastic calf strap from the pics?

The goofy raised graphic on the cap just looks ready to catch more stuff if your knee hits a rock there (or near there and slides). Easy for Mrs Makita to remove tho

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's a lot of shit out there but for actual crashing, not pedaling 3 things keep pads in place, like really in place when you dig your knee into something. There's too much out there these days to give you a specific pad. I find something good and just keep buying them until they get discontinued. Plus legs are shaped differently.

-Hard caps to slide over rocks or at least slide better over rocks, not grab them and rip the pad down like fabric does

-Some sort of neoprene against your skin that doesn't budge once there's a little sweat on them. Doesn't need to be wetsuit caliber, there are some lighter fabrics out there

-Rigid, non-elastic calf strap. Elastic is a pedaling comfort thing, not a useful support for something you want to hold a pad in place in a real impact on the front. Your calf is the one place on your leg that isn't tapered down, it needs to be used.

One of biggest design flaws that people are still doing is that when fully bent the top of your knee gets exposed if the pad moves an inch. You know the one: You eat shit and have the TOP of your knee skinned up and your pad is below your kneecap... Some of the hinged knee brace designs and a few pads actually run protection up there.

Also look for something that doesn't have too much padding on the front, so much that the impact spot is several inches in front of your knee. This just gives the ground leverage to twist the thing off to the side when you hit the ground. Not every hit is a perfect 90deg angle into the dirt. Hard caps disperse impacts over a larger area so you can get away with thinner padding to get this.
That was a lot of words to say “I dont know”.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That was a lot of words to say “I dont know”.
Only if you're illiterate (which you are not)

I know exactly what I'd buy. It's just a matter of finding it. I told you what it looks like now go find the one that fits your leg, which you also know is not shaped like my leg.

This is the main reason why I quit writing reviews. People just want to know what single thing to throw money at, not actually learn about why.

I'd initally mentioned these in that post. But I pulled it off because the fabric durability of the rear kinda sucks. But these will serve you in a crash way better than those spandex things you have

The problem is I'm pretty sure you're a little taller and lankier than me. So they may actually be too short or not cup your calf like they do on me (graves calves here), regardless of the sound design features. That's why I don't like pinning a single product down, and instead talk about things that work.

Last edited: