Quantcast

Knee/Shin Guards

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
I am in the market for a new set of Knee/Shin guards. Right now i have Raceface Rally DH pads, they are fine if you do not move, but they slide down somewhat on me and just do not fit all that well.

I am considering the 661 Race, Fox Launch or THE Storm. Does anyone have experience with all of these? I guess also the POC but I am not sure on pricing for the POC? I am 5'10ish and 220 lbs, so basically, not small with thin legs.

My other option is something like Kyle Straits, and 661 Veggie Shin guards, but I am worried about them staying in place. Any comments on this? My main goal is for them to stay in place and not slide up and down no matter how I move, and to stay in place in a crash. I thjink these are everyones goals or should be for protection. I can not really try very much on as DH shops are fairly limited where I am.

Also, THE Storm, any idea where to get them?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
if you don't mind not having a lot of shin coverage i'd get the kyle strait's from 661, they're unbelievably comfortable and i've yet to have them slide on me during a crash (and i used to use 661 knee/shin pads with the neoprene sleeve that went over them and those things were still all over the place) i've yet to meet someone who own's the kyle straits and didnt like them

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I have the Kyle Straight knees and the veggie shins, among a few others, including the Race Face Rally FR.

The Kyle Straight/veggie combo does provide full coverage from ankle to lower thigh, but it's not really made for big hits, if that makes a difference. That combo also is fairly hot. If you're OK with those trade offs, it does work well. They do stay in place well, the only time I've had them move much was during a big get-off (which they aren't designed for anyway).

I don't tend to run that combo anymore, since the big get off tore up my Kyle Straights, and it was hot. I now either use 661 Evo knee pads (upgraded version of the Straights), or the Race Face Rally FR when I want more protection.

I am considering replacing the Rally's if there is something that has better top-of-knee protection and fits under moto pants better/is lower profile. So, if anybody has any advice there, I'd like to hear it. (The 661 Race/Pro looks like it may fit the bill)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I actually just got a set of the Lopes knee/shins from TLD. They are killer and SUPER easy to take on and off. Comfortable and DO NOT move or slide out of position.

I am about your size (a little taller) but I am running the XL/XXL and they fit great. I have bigger calves and thighs. The L/XL were too small. A cool thing is the actual shell pads are the same size for the L/XL and the XL/XXL so if you got one and wanted it to be bigger or smaller you can just swap the liners.

I have nothing but great things to say about these pads. Seriously.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
I actually just got a set of the Lopes knee/shins from TLD. They are killer and SUPER easy to take on and off. Comfortable and DO NOT move or slide out of position.

I am about your size (a little taller) but I am running the XL/XXL and they fit great. I have bigger calves and thighs. The L/XL were too small. A cool thing is the actual shell pads are the same size for the L/XL and the XL/XXL so if you got one and wanted it to be bigger or smaller you can just swap the liners.

I have nothing but great things to say about these pads. Seriously.
I'm extremely surprised you suggested TLD knee pads... ;)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Not trying to pump the brand, I am just posting about my experience with them. I have used most of the 661 knee/shins (4x4, com, pro, and straits), also used the fly racing moto knee, tld t-bone, etc. I think out of all of them I have ridden with the lopes knee/shins are the most comfortable, fit the best, and have great protection.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I second the tld lopes knee/shin. I have had mine for over two years and they are awesome. They stay in place great due to the knee sock design. They are pretty cool during the hotter months which is nice. I have never had them slide down in a crash. 5 stars if you ask me. I'll probably pick another pair of these bad boys up if they ever wear out. Can't go wrong getting the lopes in my opinion.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
If we're on the Kyle Strait bandwagon, I recently got the Fox Launch Pros. A similar pad that fits better IMO.

If I shred these like the Straits I had, I'll try the TLD's next.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Fox Launch.
they breathe
they pedal well
they don't move
they go up to your quad and down to you ankle unless you get the shorty's
they don't move.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I am in the market for a new set of Knee/Shin guards. Right now i have Raceface Rally DH pads, they are fine if you do not move, but they slide down somewhat on me and just do not fit all that well.

I am considering the 661 Race, Fox Launch or THE Storm. Does anyone have experience with all of these?
Yes, all those and them some. There all sitting on my gear shelves, plus veggies and tomcats and straits.

1. For knee/shin get the fox launches. Nothing else comes close. Pair it with a 661 padlock or similar and you're gold. I'd type more but my right arm is in a sling. The others you mentioned all have 1 or more "dealbreaker" shortcoming. Trust me.

Kyle straits suck IMO. That softshell kneecap is woefully inadequete against a hard fast rock hit. Rockgardn might have some interesting stuff coming out. The best of the tomcat and the best of the straits combined. Can't wait to try those.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
How is the sizing on the Fox Launch's? like i said 5'10 220 legs arent very small, the sm/md or l/xl work better? I knew of people that liked them but was not sure if there was anything better and newer, but I am sort of leaning towards them

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The Straits I had lasted 5 minutes after I bought them. Well, not exactly, but I crashed dropping in on this trail with a gap jump. Hung up on the landing, washed out to one side and the knee I hit glanced off a rock and ripped the pad to shreds. I was stoked. :mad: I still wore them for a couple months with ripped material hanging off. :rolleyes:

How is the sizing on the Fox Launch's? like i said 5'10 220 legs arent very small, the sm/md or l/xl work better? I knew of people that liked them but was not sure if there was anything better and newer, but I am sort of leaning towards them
I'd go L/XL. Fit is pretty close to the Straits.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The Straits I had lasted 5 minutes after I bought them. Well, not exactly, but I crashed dropping in on this trail with a gap jump. Hung up on the landing, washed out to one side and the knee I hit glanced off a rock and ripped the pad to shreds. I was stoked. :mad: I still wore them for a couple months with ripped material hanging off. :rolleyes:

I'd go L/XL. Fit is pretty close to the Straits.
LOL my straits were shredded as well with material and foam hanging all over LOVE those pads. Finally bought another set last week and will buy another when these wear out...

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
if you don't mind not having a lot of shin coverage i'd get the kyle strait's from 661, they're unbelievably comfortable and i've yet to have them slide on me during a crash (and i used to use 661 knee/shin pads with the neoprene sleeve that went over them and those things were still all over the place) i've yet to meet someone who own's the kyle straits and didnt like them
definitely, I've tried nearly everything and kyle straits are the least annoying. they are also incredibly versatile. maneuverable enough to trail ride with and low profile to wear under jeans for bmx. and the exposed shin area, well I've had so many shin pedal bites i just dont care anymore. knee pedal bites and knee to stem etc. I cannot live with.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
So far I've tried Thor Force (Massive protection, but heavy, destroys the back of knees, catches on the bike and digs and sticks into the ground in a crash) and I'm currently on the cheapest TLD knee guards with 661 Padlocks. This set-up is OK; it's light, doesn't get too warm, rarely slips and when riding it's fairly comfy. On the downside the protection on the top of the knee is non-existant and when pushing up tracks (especially when a bit sweaty) it chafes my knees like sandpaper.

Has anyone found something that's like a Kyle Strait at the knee, but has some extended shin protection? Even from companies outside the main players, motocross protection etc.?

fubuki

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
PNW
I'm 6' and about 210, but with pretty skinny lower legs. I went with the S/MD and they fit great. Your best bet would be to find some place to try them on.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Has anyone found something that's like a Kyle Strait at the knee, but has some extended shin protection? Even from companies outside the main players, motocross protection etc.?
Maybe gave a look at the new Race Face D3O pads. They extend past the knee a few inches. I think they're $100 though...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just took a pedal to the shin off a big huck at Windrock & my pedal flew back and crushed my shin pad so hard, I actually got a bruise below the pad from it. If I'd had my Kyle Straits on, I'd have gone to the hospital. i like wearing the Straits for doing some quick runs, but my TLD Combat knee/shins are my equipement of choice for pushing the limits and full bore riding.

I like the Combat's b/c unlike most others, you can take them off without taking your shoes off. On fit alone, my next pair will probably be the Lopes version.

Also, Gerrit Beytagh was sporting a brand new pair of 661's that are knee/shins, but have the pivoting knee cap like the POC's do. First I had seen of them and they looked to fit good. Worth checking out if you like the POC's.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=8a37e1fc-1d03-4402-b957-b30a3956c0a7&product=934539c3-4390-42c0-91d9-33554eb08e84

Last edited:

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
I would like to be able to see and try some of these on, but I am in PA, and no shops around here really carry much DH stuff so it is kind of tough. The new 661 race i think is like the ones Gerrit had, just heavier in some way. Like I said before I was kind of leaning towards the Fox Launch pads, but wanted to see what else there was out there that may have been updated to be made better.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I would like to be able to see and try some of these on, but I am in PA, and no shops around here really carry much DH stuff so it is kind of tough. The new 661 race i think is like the ones Gerrit had, just heavier in some way. Like I said before I was kind of leaning towards the Fox Launch pads, but wanted to see what else there was out there that may have been updated to be made better.
I bought Fox launch thinking they would be great. They do not move but they are extremely inflexible. They do flex nice at the pivot but the the rest of the pad is very rigid. So rigid they dig into your shin....i even had mine altered to try to eliminate the digging and it helped a bit but still was there. My Fox is size large...have the elbow too, those are just awful......

In the end i just got my old 911's repaired and still wear them....looking at new stuff those Race Face d30 look like a good idea....

As for the Lopes.......have seen a couple pairs of those unravel at the stitching....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I bought Fox launch thinking they would be great. They do not move but they are extremely inflexible. They do flex nice at the pivot but the the rest of the pad is very rigid. So rigid they dig into your shin....i even had mine altered to try to eliminate the digging and it helped a bit but still was there. My Fox is size large...have the elbow too, those are just awful......
Ohhh to add.....in the process of reworking my basement. Went through all of the bike stuff. Came to the Fox Launch pads and just threw them in the trash. They were that horrible....no sense in reselling them to someone else. They were pretty much like new....tossed the elbow/forearm too....ended up in the trash can where they belong.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The Lopes were the crappiest Knee-shin armor I've run to date. They were ok for about a month, then the neoprene seemed to stretch out letting them slide off the knee. In an impact? they were doing nothing of use, slid down to the ankle...A little bit of stitching coming apart is annoying, the thing sliding off when you need it is unforgiveable. I gave up on them after 3 frustrating months.

I'm currently running the THE Storms. I've had them for over a year, they don't more, they stay in place in a crash and breathe good. So far the best I've tried. (I've had Race Face Rally FR, Lopes, Dianesse, Fox)

Aug 4, 2008
661 Tomcats are THE best kneepads - ever.

On account of Kyle Straits - they seem better (side protection, etc,...) but their knee cup is weak - I have a couple of mates that managed to bust their knee right through Kyle Straits.

Go Tomcat!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Lopes were the crappiest Knee-shin armor I've run to date. They were ok for about a month, then the neoprene seemed to stretch out letting them slide off the knee. In an impact? they were doing nothing of use, slid down to the ankle...A little bit of stitching coming apart is annoying, the thing sliding off when you need it is unforgiveable. I gave up on them after 3 frustrating months.

I'm currently running the THE Storms. I've had them for over a year, they don't more, they stay in place in a crash and breathe good. So far the best I've tried. (I've had Race Face Rally FR, Lopes, Dianesse, Fox)
Err, did you ever wash the neoprene gasket? Mine would stretch out after a few days riding. Then wash and dry in the dryer, and they'd shrink down again.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Err, did you ever wash the neoprene gasket? Mine would stretch out after a few days riding. Then wash and dry in the dryer, and they'd shrink down again.
I washed, but never dried it out of fear of damaging the poorly stitched fabric:p
Its a moot point now, they went to the landfill, where they belong.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Maybe gave a look at the new Race Face D3O pads. They extend past the knee a few inches. I think they're $100 though...
Oooh, they are so close to what I'd be looking for.... but I'm not keen on d3o. :( Have to admit I've never used it myself but heard more than enough reports of it not being substantial enough for DH, and I'd like something that's got a chance of stopping me being stretchered off the hill at Fort William. Thanks for pointing them out though, something like that but with a hard shell is, err, what someone needs to make!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm 6' and about 210, but with pretty skinny lower legs. I went with the S/MD and they fit great. Your best bet would be to find some place to try them on.
ya the l/xl are too big for me too. My legs would need to be another 5-6 inches biiger around to have the straps be tight, and I'm 6'7" with good sized legs! (not huge though, but certainly not skinny. Go with the s/m

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I had previously dismissed the Lopes due to the issue of the stitching I was hearing about.
damn nice pads, didn't move on me at all, but mine lasted a year and a half before the stitching broke below the knee guard. I have kyle straits now and they have been stellar for the season I have used them but time will tell.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Honestly, the best you can do is order a few sizes online and choose the best one. They all vary so much when it comes to size. And for fit: It all depends on your leg/knee.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
I have run RF FRs great pads especially when coming down hard ya don't feel a thing for me they were comfy and I didn't mind the heat, now I'm used to flats again I run [been off the bike for 2.5years due to injury]

I'm running TLD bones, I love these pads for comfort and the protection they offer in a soft pad, but my only beef with them is why TLD always come up short on the finish, durability, I mean I bought new gloves and these and both are coming apart after a few months of use, they're nor cheap but they're made cheap or so it seems!

For example Ive had a pair for Giro Remedy gloves for the same period I rotate my gloves very ride and these have shown no wear at all, the TLD threads are appearing and there's lots of fluffing on the top part of the material, the Giro has none of this they still look like new after repeated beatings, too many brands are like TLD 661 Ive found no better and many others I ride with say the same, no more 661 gloves or pads they just fall apart let alone crash damage!

I like TLD but this just gets me, I don't mind paying good $$ for protection but I want a reasonable season out of it if not wrecked in a crash [if crash damage its done its job] wear and tear just is not acceptable!

My RF Frs have lasted years falling apart now but still they have been through the ringer as hard as it gets! I just expected more from TLD is all, my last set of gloves TLD camo gloves I had for nearly 5years, in fact its only because I lent them to a chick that was the last I saw of em, maybe that's the last time they were made in the US and not some sweat shop:(

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
My vote is for the Fox Launch. I'm 6' and 215 with pretty big calfs and they fit fantastic, didn't move in a wreck and could keep taking hits. Love the latching system. Had to make sure to wear a taller sock though otherwise it would rub the skin on the front of my ankle. That was my only complaint. L/XL

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
My vote is for the Fox Launch. I'm 6' and 215 with pretty big calfs and they fit fantastic, didn't move in a wreck and could keep taking hits. Love the latching system. Had to make sure to wear a taller sock though otherwise it would rub the skin on the front of my ankle. That was my only complaint. L/XL
Im agreein'!!

Fox launch knee/shin - dont move, 1st pad EVER I have found that just stays in place. I keep trying out options, and this continues to be the ONLY one. And being an odd size (6'8" 257lbs) I have no issues with them.

I have done squat-thrusts to test these, and they just stay in place, nothing else has ever done this. Only downside is no calf coverage for those who 'bump into' their pedals. but wth.

Jan 30, 2006
seattle
i'm now curious to try out the fox launch guards. last season i purchased the dainese 3x, which are very comfortable but one good fall and my knee was hurting for weeks. before those i had old 661 race shin guards. the 661's were hot, stiff and the knee/thigh piece kept riding down the thigh, which was annoying, but damn they could take abuse. anyone have any experience with the new 661 pro or comp pads?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my raceface's don't slip because they're 6000 inches long and they can't go anywhere...not necessarily a good thing. Stitching is finally falling apart and I can justify getting something else.

Interesting that everybody has different opinions...some say the lopes suck others say the launches suck...think I might pick up a set of launches based on what I've heard. Heard more bad then good on the lopes.