Quantcast

knee/shin pad question

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
I'm looking into get a set of these bad boys, and was wondering how well do they protect the back of your calf? Protecting that soft meat is about as important as protecting my shin.

I'm either gonna get 661 or fox... pro's, con's?

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
You'd be hard pressed to find a pair with any substantial armor for the calf. The 661's do have a full wrap but you will still get bit through the material.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
there are some pads that have a padded lycra laced rear calf protector. They are pure dh style and very very warm...but I have never seen anyone with cut up legs when wearing them...

dianese makes a set and so does fox...

the 661s are meshy on the back and help, dont really do any good.

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Roach Rally DH have mesh on the back. I thought they would be hot and itchy when I got them.....but their fine. Very good protection too---haven't worn my Dainese since I got these.

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
The only ones I have seen that protect the calf are the Hoots gear pads...Burly pads that would save the flesh!!!!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
OH..yeah i forgot jay's pads...

what aj said! those are the ****, buuuuut you wont find them around to test out less we have a local hootie dealer that i dont know about.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
seand said:
OH..yeah i forgot jay's pads...

what aj said! those are the ****, buuuuut you wont find them around to test out less we have a local hootie dealer that i dont know about.
Lol Hongcouver is only 21/2 hours up the road....take a road trip. I think Universalcycles carriers them as well. Tax free baby!!!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i said local...not northern :D

id just give hoots a call and arrange a time to check out some pads...jay is a very accessible guy...

it amazes me just how limited our scene is here when it comes to certain aspects of the sport...this thread is a perfect case in point...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
hrmmm, well when the time comes for me to replace my leg armour, its up north i go for some hootie gear.

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
buildyourown said:
DH zone has hootes pads in stock. I just went through this.

Raceface/roach and troy lee both make pads with lots of rear calf coverage.
Does DH zone have the troy lee pads & raceface pads too?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i really like my Fox North Shore Pads, they don't move, and the knee pad is really high. It resembles the Roach/661/RaceFace pads in that it's a wrap pad, but it doesn't chafe. But it's hard shelled to protect from the hard impacts and it doesn't move like all the others. Not that expensive either and it seems to be holding up to alot of use, i wear pads on all my rides, because i can't afford to break my kneecap and be out of work.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
nohbody said:
That's exactly why I would like to get some!
Another good thing about em is since they are strap on's you don't have to stop to take off your shoes to put em on. Easy to put on and take off, you can strap them onto your frame when you don't feel like you need to wear them.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Skookum said:
Another good thing about em is since they are strap on's you don't have to stop to take off your shoes to put em on. Easy to put on and take off, you can strap them onto your frame when you don't feel like you need to wear them.
Yeah, kind of the same reason why I love my Roach DH.....hard cup front, mesh back for some decent coverage. Saved me so many times from falls and pedal slippage.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you want something that you can wear all the time, check out dianese. They strap on, are well ventilated, and small enough to fit in my camelbak mule

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
Eh... I think I'm liking fox and 661 the best so far.

The hoots pads seem like trying to find the holy grail, i'll go with the mass produced, overpriced, american junk. :eviltongu

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Big B said:
The trouble with recommendations is people usually recommend what they buy.
On average, everyone buys different things, so your back where you started. :think:
That's not necessarily true.... i bought 661 and Race Face hard shell pads and immediately sold them for less than half of what i paid after one or two rides, and you'll never hear me endorsing them. i'll never rave about the 661/Roach wrap pads either because while they don't move after a time they chafe the skin, and they don't provide the shell protection that save you from hitting hard. And i won't go to bat all that much for Dianese pads because while they are great for comfort, and have set the standard for protection, but they are spendy and they move (not as badly as others) and the fabric and straps breaks down quickly.
i just didn't want to go thru a whole frikkin knee/shin armor history to qualify why i like the Foxes, but now i have haha....... Fox North Shore the best combo of everything i've found so far.