Quantcast

Knee/Shin pads - caution - BIKE RELATED

I need new knee/shin pads. I'm not real agressive - I just need good knee coverage for those times my knee meets rock and shin protection for those little scrapes.

I currently have these (in adult small - they don't come with straps behind the knees but I had a friend sew some in :thumb: )

What do you guys think of these?

http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/pads_racelite.html

(beyond bikes has them on sale for $25)

I'm only 5'2" so size is usually an issue.

:)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MBC - the ones I told you about have kind of a web type strap thing around the knee cup area and then some calf straps and ankle straps. Light, breathable. They just might be a tad short for my legs, so they may fit you a little better.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Stay with Foxes. Right now i'm running the North Shores and they are hands down the best knee/shin for trail riding i've found so far.
They don't shift or move.... at all. i guarantee those 661's will... bad....
The knee is real high which is smart since many times i've crashed by endoing you wind up hitting your upper knee which moves your pad down (this protects against that.
They are wrap around so you can tie them to your frame when you don't need to use them.
i've had mine for quite a while and they've held up well. i know the main complaint would be tearing the mesh fabric by crashing on a hard surface. Mine have held up well so far.
Plus they're cheap, definately more bang for the buck than most pads.

http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=CL6247

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I use roach rally fr, and I like those. Not sure about size for you though. There might be some women specific pads out there if you look hard enough

mobius said:
Stay with those fox's but buy the 661 padlock. It is a neoprene sleeve that keeps any pad knee up and thats what i use with those fox's. If u get those race lites ull need the padlock neway cause those knees dont stay in place.

http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/support_padlock.html

funny, don't ya think that they have to make a product to hold up their pads?

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
Get the racelights. they are shorter than normal, have calf protection, stay in place fairly well. They breath well to.

* I also use the kneelock thingys... and have removed the top 2 straps

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i had the (old) roach pads for a while, but there was literally nothing you could do to stop them from exposing the upper (fleshy) part of the knee. this would invariably be hit. it really forced me to get the Dainese bibs, but that's complete overkill for trail riding (however, my knee pads are ALWAYS where they need to be).

if you are running clipless (which i think you are), i'd look to ditch the shin pads and just get a set of knee pads. ask the dirtjumpers what works well and doesn't interfere w/ pedaling (although on 2nd hand they might not rate that high on the list of attributes).

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Stick with the 661's you pictured. If you're concerned about the heat, get the race lites you pictured, if you're concerneed about them moving around on you, get the Races. I'll have a pair of the Races in my truck you can check out at MonkeyFest.

McGRP01 said:
Stick with the 661's you pictured. If you're concerned about the heat, get the race lites you pictured, if you're concerneed about them moving around on you, get the Races. I'll have a pair of the Races in my truck you can check out at MonkeyFest.

thanks - I want to have them by then. so you can drive to CT and I'd love to try them.

THANK YOU. :dancing: see you sunday?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
those Rockgardn pads that were posted aren't that bad for heat....they're a little hotter than the fox's but they protect more...I've been riding em for about 3 months now...They've taken many an endo with minimal shifting to expose the upper knee...The only time they moved was when I endo'd off a rock face roller into a berm...(Stupid tree on bars..sigh...) and I was going pretty fast, they only moved about 2 inches, which is good considering all the other knee/shin combos I've had moved down and exposed the entire knee...OWWWW!!! Despite what the look like in that pic, they don't go THAT far up the thigh....they are good pedaling pads. They feel very secure!! Plus they come in a lot of sizes and the shin is not that long (I'm 6'7"....they're a little short for me even in the biggest size...oh well) so one of the smaller sizes should fit you perfect.

:dancing: :dancing:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MtnBikerChk said:
thanks - I want to have them by then. so you can drive to CT and I'd love to try them.

THANK YOU. :dancing: see you sunday?
Wish I could help ya', but I'll either be;

A.) Wearing them at Platty
or
B.) Out on a boat on Lake George (not wearing them)

on Sunday. :D

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
MMcG said:

These might be the ticket for you. They are almost a combination of your old ones and the 661s and sized for petite women or Jr. riders.
The Rockgardens are the way to go. Personally, I have had two pairs of 661 knee/shin pads and I hated all of them; they never stayed put in a crash...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MBC - the Dainese pads that Tonyhawk dropped off for me are very very light and look to be well vented.

But that's a damned good price on those initial 661s you posted.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
MMcG said:

These might be the ticket for you. They are almost a combination of your old ones and the 661s and sized for petite women or Jr. riders.
MBC, I have these in a Jr. size and they fit really well and are comfortable. I have had many a crash with them and they do not slip and are not too hot while riding.

Good luck in your search. :)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
If you like the 661's, get the Race, not the Race light. The Race's have a better lycra wrap that goes around the back of your leg at your knee. They do not move / slide down. I would be concerned with the race lites and just that single strap.

661 Race

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I use the fox (top picture) with knee warmers over them and they work PERFECTLY.

The knee warmers wear out though so you could get 661's kevlar wraps designed specifically to hold pad's in place (this is what I currently run - available at beyondbikes.com).

I am a very agressive rider, and choose to run this over many other (more expensive) pad's I have.

CLOSURE POST:

My good friend tonyhawk had a pair of the Dainese pads - size medium that he let me try. I wanted to love them, really I did but they were a bit to tight. Bummer too because they were so light and comfy - but the straps left marks on my legs for days. So I returned them.

I bought the Rockgardn pads - which I freakin :heart: They are a bit warm but they don't slide and my legs feel totally protected.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The 661's are not the greatest. I would go with the fox's they look like they would offer more mobility. I have never used the foxes but they cant be worse than the 661s (IMO arent terrible just not great).

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
I bought the Rockgardn pads - which I freakin :heart: They are a bit warm but they don't slide and my legs feel totally protected.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
I'm glad you like the Rockgardn pads, mine have held up very well...even with multiple crashes. Nice riding picture :thumb:

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
McGRP01 said:
Meh... I'm not sold on them until I see CRASH pictures! :p
As requested....

Notice the angle at which I'm landing the jump....

Which resulted in.... (note knee guards still in place)

Let's move on to rockgardens

Yup....knee guards still in place :p

Ok, I'm done derailing the thread now. Congrats again on your new Knee/Shin pads MBC! :)