Quantcast

Knees

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've been commuting on an SS with a 42/17 gearing. Lately my knees ache when I get home in the evening. My commute isn't too long, only about 5 miles each way, and doesn't have any gutbusting climbs. I do tend to push hard to stay with traffic when the lights turn green. I've been riding offroad with the same bike with knobbies and a 32/17 and have only been commuting for the last 2 weeks. Any thoughts on why my knees hurt? Maybe I should work up to my current gearing gradually? :(

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Your positioning on the bike may be the problem. Knee pain can be cause by several things and some of them have to do with bike position. Ideally you should have your cleat placement and your body position checked.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Motionboy2 said:
Your positioning on the bike may be the problem. Knee pain can be cause by several things and some of them have to do with bike position. Ideally you should have your cleat placement and your body position checked.
I kinda ruled that out since it's the same bike I've used all summer, except with different gearing and different tires. I guess I need to go back and measure everything again. :( At least you're not saying "dude you better quit now." :)

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
BikeGeek said:
I kinda ruled that out since it's the same bike I've used all summer, except with different gearing and different tires. I guess I need to go back and measure everything again. :( At least you're not saying "dude you better quit now." :)

It can still be a factor since you are applying more stress to your pedalstroke. Or if you are riding a more consistant cadence it may play more of a factor now than if you were riding this bike as a mountain bike.

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
MotionBoy is right
When you ride off road you tend to move around on the bike more thus changing your seated position and changing the types of stress that you put on your knees.
When you ride on the road you tend to stay in a pretty fixed/static position. If you are not fit right on the bike you can be putting a lot of stress on your knees.
Have someone look at you who knows what they are doing ensure that they address your seat height+Fore and aft position. cleat placement on your shoes plus bar and stem length/height.

One thing that you mentioned is "I do tend to push hard to stay with traffic when the lights turn green." are you doing this hard push from a seated position?
If you are, try to do that sprint from a standing position. Then settle back to your saddle after you have reach your cruising speed. standing up on the pedals will take almost all of the stress off of your knees during your sprint.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Knees are hurting on the front, outside, below the kneecap. I raised the sadlle a bit. I should get out for a spin tonight to try it out if the rain lets up.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I still fight against my own advice, but with knees, etc,...

Let them rest.

I had knee problems and wore a brace for about seven years because I just wouldn't let them heal up fully. Docs had me taking all sorts of pain meds and what not. After moving out here to VA where there is 'winter' from AZ where you can always ride, I let them recover for a winter and now I no longer need the brace.

The others are right though, position is key.

Also, a great product for this if you don't mind the 'heat' is TOAST. Don't know if it's been mentioned in here before, but I use the 'Performance' .017 Capcaism(sp?) before a ride on any problem areas (usually lower back), and the 'screamin' .025 Capcaism(sp?) for recovery. ***Caution this stuff is HOT and you can't wash it off. The first time I used it I woke up in the middle of the night 12 hours later with my back on fire. You can get it at RiteAid or online.

http://www.toastproducts.com

Great for joints and muscles. I and my friends who have tried it swear by it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Thanks for the advice everyone. I raised my seat a bit and moved it forward a little. It's been 2 weeks now and so far so good. :thumb: