Quantcast

Knife Time!

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Knife that kicks ass and takes names--it's a stunning value. Handle is kind of boxy though, and neither of your selections are...also the blade has less "belly," making it rock chop not quite as well.

As far as blades go, between the two you listed, if you find the Global comfortable and nice to use, I'd pick it over the Heckles. Japanese cutlery, which for most purposes translates to more acute edge + harder steel so that fine edge doesn't roll over, is all the rage among those who are super nerdy about their knives. Global is a sort of hybrid Japanese-European design with a "unique" handle--some people like it, some can't stand it. Quite sharp.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^I agree about the global handle being sharp. I own a 9" global chef's knife I rarely use because the handle is just not comfortable for me. It stays sharp forever, but for me that's because I rarely use it! I think it's really important to "test ride" a knife before you buy by actually holding it in your hand and getting a feel for the weight, balance, and grip. It's kinda like buying a bike seat in that there is no one perfect design, some work better for some people than others.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Have you considered a Santoku? I find that they're easier to use and more comfortable than traditional chef's knives.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
We have 5 Globals and we use them all the time. Really these are the only knives we use while cooking. I think they have a nice feel in your hand, although I do prefer their knives with the wider/triangular handle.

toby

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
My main workhorses are my CutCo's. Great steel.
Oh noes! Say it ain't so.
...and for the price...well...maybe a great steal? (440A is ok, but not great.)

Also I much prefer a knife I can re-sharpen when it gets dull. But to each his own.