Quantcast

Knob vomit from Maxxis

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
that's cool they put the UCI MTB logo on there. Definitely a promising logic for a cornering knob.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think that was the worst tire I ever had.
You should try one of these.

It's in no way shape or form similar.

Not at all.

Totally different. Not even close.

I mean you can just SEE how different it is right? The continental just throws a bunch of angles around all over the place.

That schwalbe........nah totally different.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
If you happen to have some HansDerps, try cutting the grouping of 4 outside transition knobs out. Leaves a decent open channel, but then the side knobs are too small, so fold over if ridden too aggressively. You can finesse 'em but can't toss 'em into corners. Still, -- helps turn a barely mediocre trail tires into barely decent trail tire.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That Conti came up with such a tire wasn't that great, but that Maxxis had nothing better to do then to copy it (...cough...cough...Ignitor) doesn't really show that they know what they are doing either. ;)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
You guys should remember that MOST people don't know how to properly corner on a mountain bike, and/or ride trails that don't have aggressive lean angle corners in the first place. Tires such as the Hans Dampf may actually be better suited for the skills of the majority of riders. This is not a bad thing.

Tire companies are actually pretty smart to design tires which better suit the much larger market of intermediate riders, are they not?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
You guys should remember that MOST people don't know how to properly corner on a mountain bike, and/or ride trails that don't have aggressive lean angle corners in the first place. Tires such as the Hans Dampf may actually be better suited for the skills of the majority of riders. This is not a bad thing.

Tire companies are actually pretty smart to design tires which better suit the much larger market of intermediate riders, are they not?
Good point, but we, the idle miscreant bicycle connoisseurs of Ridemonkey, represent the elite 1%, or those who know how to corner properly. As a result, our scorn for bike plebes and their unsophisticated tire treads is justified, and in fact, necessary.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I could see a bad rider not really benefiting from a "good" tire, but certainly they aren't hurt by it either?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
They can scare a lot of people.
They may not get the tire layed over enough and end up riding on the transition channel, so they feel a bit sketch.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
like the high roller for example, lean it some and it starts to drift, lean some more and it will bite in.