Quantcast

Know anyone with a CPC Racing rig?

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
you know, straight outta Utah, originally made by a snowmobile fab shop?

They actually were pretty novel, especially back in 1999.

here's a lil info about em,
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-128377.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=161610&page=1

please refrain from commenting on the lack of brakes and monstrous bottom bracket height.

point is: I bought a hadley wheel that said cpc racing at a swap meet. Turns out they were custom made spaced at 145mm, and the only bike that can use it is a CPC with a concentric bottom bracket. the rotor spacing is wacky too.
Since you need this hub to make those bikes go, I thought I'd see if anyone needs one. a spare even.

L

luelling

I had two friends that had those bikes....I think they are a POS. The thing was really heavy, but I can dig the low leverage ratio. Has anyone ever broke one of those frames? I swear the dropouts were 1/4" thick steel plate

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
I had two friends that had those bikes....I think they are a POS. The thing was really heavy, but I can dig the low leverage ratio. Has anyone ever broke one of those frames? I swear the dropouts were 1/4" thick steel plate
I actually do know someone who broke one after about 5 rides. He had a replacement build by FTW, now that didn't break. Go figure.

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
I would have just posted the picture, but it's from mtbr and you'll need to actually click on the link.

I already talked to Mr Cutler, and he was kind enough to give me the lowdown. That's how I found out 'the mystery wheel' must have belonged to one of his bikes. He sold the business to some other guys from utah, and I think they only were operating for a year or two under the new name Core Performance Cycles. The story goes that he had already lasercut a ton of headtube gussets with the CPC logo, so he told the new owners they could just come up with a new acronym.

Dale is a hell of a fabricator, and the bikes seem like they were really well thought out. especially when you look at other vintage downhill bikes. (see the old & obscure thread for greats)
it might not be the Next Cool Bike from Whogivesacrap Industries, but they remain one of the only designs that really works well for people over 250 lbs. The 5" shaft on the shock makes for a leverage ratio and travel very similar to an MX bike, which means low stress on the frame and shock.
In case you're wondering the frame with snowmobile shock only weighed something like 15 or 16 lbs. You really could build one up at 46-48 lbs without going crazy. The only thing I see that really blows design-wise is the geometry. The bb is just too high, and using a shorter fork is just going to make it less of a downhill bike by steepening the head angle. Again, this was normal for most any of the early monster-travel bikes, and they have gone from being race bikes to more of a freeride status as times have changed.

a couple people seem to have managed to break them, proving that no bike is truly indestructible. I believe it was always in the swingarm. Obviously, somebody (from Montana I suppose) broke the bike that my wheel came from, otherwise they'd still be using it. Supposedly FTW made all the late-model rear ends, solving the breakage issue. I think that the FTW version was spaced at 165mm, though. Anyone know for sure?

definitely not a pos. quirky, yes, but made alot better than your average Taipei Special frame.
Ask yer friends if they need a spare wheel. Hadley's been really great to me, and they think I can downconvert my hub back to 135mm. I'd love to, but when I found out it's really rare and belongs to a bike that isn't produced anymore, my Karma Alert went off, and I realize I'd probably feel better if I took one for the team and kept one of these old hogs running.
Thus, this thread. I didn't put it in the classifieds since it's such a longshot, and I'm half reluctant to sell it anyway.

L

luelling

definitely not a pos. quirky, yes, but made alot better than your average Taipei Special frame.
Ask yer friends if they need a spare wheel. .
Both friends that had those bikes dumped them not long after getting them, thats why I said its a POS...I rode it, didn't like it and they both didn't like the bike.