Quantcast

KOM'ed that sh!t!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Strava... its an addiction some of us have. We strive to steal that KOM from the leader so he gets an email saying he has lost it. Turning every ride into a race and every rider into a racer. Its a love hate relationship with Strava but you gotta love it.

Recently when I was in Ashland I KOM'ed that **** check it out.

http://www.bicycleworld.tv/strava-addiction/news-445/

I would like to thank all my sponsors, couldnt have gotten the KOM without you...

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Turning every ride into a race is great when nobody else is on the trails.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't get it, on every run don't you run into at least one person who holds you up? I decided to try a Strava route and encountered multiple riders I had to stop for and then a bunch of horses that ended any chance of a good time.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I don't get it, on every run don't you run into at least one person who holds you up? I decided to try a Strava route and encountered multiple riders I had to stop for and then a bunch of horses that ended any chance of a good time.
just yell STAAAVAAAA as you blaze past them without anything remotely close to a yield.

its cool, they will get it and gladly jump out of your way.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
This is a joke guys :)
You are wise! Yes this is a joke, I should have been more sarcastic in the video, but you get the idea.

I would like to thank redbull, monster energy, rockstar for giving me wings, metro mint water, starbucks...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah unfortunately the video is not that far off from the reality out there. There are plenty of Stravassholes that would post something like that and be completely sincere.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Pluses and minuses to Strava. On public trails it can be dangerous especially in high traffic areas. I heard it was becoming a real problem on the Front Range where there is a high concentration of mountain bikers. Imagine somebody "stravaing" picture rock full blast with all those blind corners...

"Secret" trails get poached also by being marked on Strava.

FOrget about Strava for mtbing in places where mtb isn't as popular. Montreal HA! Forget about it. Roadies yes, but not mtb.

Anyways, it's the new craze for sure.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is the highest level of MTB douchebaggery. As if MTBR DH forum, Pinkbike and Youtube weren't bad enough for blowing up the underground.
Why you think my signature is what it is?

You know how I found out about strava's popularity? A discussion with a Forest Service and CA state park employee telling me how useful it is discovering user built trails.

You have to be about the most inconsiderate moronic douchebag leach (because they're obviously not builders) on the planet to be so oblivious.

SCARY

Not long enough
You are wise! Yes this is a joke, I should have been more sarcastic in the video, but you get the idea.

I would like to thank redbull, monster energy, rockstar for giving me wings, metro mint water, starbucks...
Sarcasm dosent work on here ,Dennis.You need to do a monkey dance and slapstick comedy with smiley faces.
Plus,you know I know this was a straight up documentary.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What I would really like to see strava do, if its going to keep functioning as it does, is to make it so that you can see a trail/times until you've ridden it. Still lame, but at least it makes it a little bit more difficult for prying eyes.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Why you think my signature is what it is?

You know how I found out about strava's popularity? A discussion with a Forest Service and CA state park employee telling me how useful it is discovering user built trails.

You have to be about the most inconsiderate moronic douchebag leach (because they're obviously not builders) on the planet to be so oblivious.
Some forestry officials are asking their trails be removed entirely. http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/7092.html

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What's funny is that every complaint that I hear blamed on Strava is actually the fault of massive asshole human beings or massive moron human beings or a delicious combination of the two. Strava is just a harmless data tool if used correctly by normal people. Its too bad so many fellow riders could star in the Idiocracy movie and just be themselves.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I personally know of a douche-ish type fellow who nearly ran a lady down while "Strava streakin'" in the forest. He would have done it without the app, just no documentation of how short of a period he was douching.

I just figured out how to use my Windows Phone apps to record and store as .GPX files to upload to Strava. I'm using it to track my own personal little lunch loop and a loop at the house (both are road rides) . Have no idea how any of you are getting cell phone GPS's to pick up in Pisgah though. I call Shenanigans on that one.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
By pushing a button.
Its a tough world out there......
GPS signals work where there is zero cell coverage.
At least Google Nav requires data connection to startup the app and get the maps; I dont know if all the cell nav apps work that way, but if so the GPS signal is a moot point.

If the strava app is just timing point to point, then having the maps is the moot point!

Hmm.

Moot.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
At least Google Nav requires data connection to startup the app and get the maps; I dont know if all the cell nav apps work that way, but if so the GPS signal is a moot point.

If the strava app is just timing point to point, then having the maps is the moot point!

Hmm.

Moot.
All Strava needs to record the info is a GPS signal, but it does need a data connection to upload the info and that is when the maps are created. I just wait until I am out of the forest to upload the info.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's true that Strava is just a tool. But so are a lot of people who use it.

Sorry but every ride is NOT a race. If it were I probably would have stopped mountain biking a long time ago.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
It's true that Strava is just a tool. But so are a lot of people who use it.

Sorry but every ride is NOT a race. If it were I probably would have stopped mountain biking a long time ago.
I'll take "Stuff old slow people say" for a thousand Alex! :D

Ha, I just use it to track my rides, and there are other apps out there that will do that as well.
The best thing about it for me is I get to see what loops or routes other people are taking which can show you new trails or better, safer road routes etc....
Not once has Strava ever shown up on a ride and injected me with a big dose of Azzclown which forces me to sprint at schoolchildren and puppies.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'll take "Stuff old slow people say" for a thousand Alex! :D

Ha, I just use it to track my rides, and there are other apps out there that will do that as well.
The best thing about it for me is I get to see what loops or routes other people are taking which can show you new trails or better, safer road routes etc....
Not once has Strava ever shown up on a ride and injected me with a big dose of Azzclown which forces me to sprint at schoolchildren and puppies.
Old and slow? Guilty as charged!

But being able to find stuff other people ride is a real problem when those people are riding illegal (or gray area) trails. Even more so when someone else put the time and effort into building them. Call me a Neanderthal if you want, but I prefer the old way where you need to know someone or maybe pick up a shovel to find the goods.

EDIT: There is plenty of software to track rides without posting for the world to see.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Old and slow? Guilty as charged!

But being able to find stuff other people ride is a real problem when those people are riding illegal (or gray area) trails. Even more so when someone else put the time and effort into building them. Call me a Neanderthal if you want, but I prefer the old way where you need to know someone or maybe pick up a shovel to find the goods.

EDIT: There is plenty of software to track rides without posting for the world to see.
Well, that is just common sense. If someone is posting illegal trails on Strava they should all be gathered up and beaten with saint crankarms. I am just saying it is not the software's fault that so many Simple Jacks ride bikes.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
plenty of people use it and just make their rides private, you know, right? or make rides private that may or may not contain trails of a grey nature....people that ride grey area trails and don't keep it on the d/l are kind of dicks, and they're probably the same kind of people that would brag about riding said trails on the internet, strava or not.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
plenty of people use it and just make their rides private, you know, right? or make rides private that may or may not contain trails of a grey nature....people that ride grey area trails and don't keep it on the d/l are kind of dicks, and they're probably the same kind of people that would brag about riding said trails on the internet, strava or not.
I generally agree but Strava makes it easier to spread it to more people, and the racing aspect gives the improper user additional reason to make it public.

We're basically saying the same thing: Strava is not bad, but some people who use Strava are bad. I get it, and I've said my piece. It's starting to sound like a gun control debate and I'm not going there.