Quantcast

kona 2008

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Content deleted at request of soulbiker website. Don't steal other people's content, how many times do we have to explain this?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
man, those hurt my head. the fork lowers on the dual crown close up in the middle look to have awful grafix. why is there a pic of a chick on a phone?

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Here is the rough translation from Google's translation tool:
(http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en)

Magic Link
--------------

The system explains itself completely simply. If one drives Uphill or on even Trails and brings with stepping load on the crank/drive, that stops like IC left a more upright position with steeper steering and seat angle. With the Downhill however, if one is to the rear leaned or the chassis of impacts abbekommt, the framework lowers itself, the steering and seat angle becomes flatter and releases besides more spring travel. Therefore the designation 6 " +1 " (152mm/177mm) Travel. At the Magic left suspension is besides a small feather/spring attached, where one can stop the pre-loading, under which load in dependence of the own weight of the Magic left responds and which geometry changes.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
wow, I dont know if I buy that whole magic steepining/slacking design. How does that transfer to dirtjumps/tabletops? just weiirdd...

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
wow, I dont know if I buy that whole magic steepining/slacking design.
Exactly. Just adapt a little already.

Point1: If you have trouble climbing - stay seated and pedal a harder gear, or get in shape...or don't pedal up what should be goat trail only.

Point2: DHing a trail bike is hard. Sell that 69-70' HA, 4" bike for a real Trail bike and build it light.... get a turner 6pack, 6point, coilair, 07 bullit, El Terremoto or something in the 5" or 6" range.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
The dropouts on the Bass are moveable. You can see the two bolts just like on the old Cowan dropouts. Kona probably saw it as cheaper to let Cowan keep the HT signature frame and let Paul Basagoitia hang his name on the DS, than have to market a different frame when Basagotia rides the DS anyhow. Just speculation, but it makes sense.

Chris

woffa04

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
I love the look of the Bass.

Any ideas if it's a howler frame or cowan ds frame?

Like the pivot around the bb(cowan ds) Also price?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
To Summarize Kona 2008

Part of the line is 'redesigned' to have a curved TT and solid looking rockers.

Another part looks the exact same as the stuff they put out almost ten years ago.

Finally, after years on non-existent innovation they break out a way to make it super hard to correctly set up your shock? Also make ugly, uglier.
:banghead:

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
You are jumping to alot of conclusions for not having RIDDEN the bike:bonk: If it works and does what Kona claims it will without having significant drawbacks, so what if it looks abit fugly.
Climbing: Steeper headangle would help alot, making it easier to control the front end
Descending: As soon as you point the bike down, the travel increases to 7.1 inches, from the 6.1. Cool, more travel for the downhills:cheers:

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
you're on a online chat forum. this is what we do best

to add, it just looks like its another shock i'll get some nice pedal bob from
I dont really care about pedal bob. I have never really felt like it decreases my climbing ablitiy all that much. A steeper headangle I could see as being very benificial. Expecially on steep/sharp switchbacks or picking your way through rocky singletrack. Then bam, you point the bike down and the bike instantly goes into slack HA+more travel mode. Will this feature will prove the be a dissadvantage in weird situations like cranking on the pedals to clear a rockgarden, how it will react to jumps, etc...I have no idea so I wont comment. I would most certainly like to take an 08 Coilair out for a test ride.

The small diameter tubing by the Magic Link looks kinda iffy to me though:redface: Other than that, I think the new lineup looks pimp as hell, expecially the new Stab with Marzocchi's sick a$$ looking 888!

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
More to the point, it looks like another shock that manufacturers will start trying to sell us because their open port orrifice with fully independent low, high, mid, and somewhere inbetween controls, and internal floating elephant with remote lock out is better that the standard unit.

I know Kona got a lot of criticism for not trying new things, but I truly believe that we have a lot of gimmicks forced down our throats. Hats off to Kona for holding off on that front. Until now.

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Hats off to Kona for holding off on that front. Until now.
Kona is in the buisness to sell bikes, and if they are loosing sales because they "arent keeping up with the market or stuck in the stone age like many claim" they have to try something different. Imagine where the bike world would be right now if none of the companies were willing to try something new. We would be stuck with elestomer sprung suspension. Why change something if it doesnt work? Perhaps people get tired of the same old and want to see something new. Then they go to specialized and buy a really blingy looking DH rig with all kinds of cool looking pivots. Kona is just trying to stay competitive...thats what the market is all about right? Kudos to Kona for trying something new and innovative. I hope it works out for em!