Quantcast

kona dawg for eastcoast riding?

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
ive been using my dh bike for xc and want to sell it to get a nice light am bike. i wondering if anyone has a kona dawg? hows it holding up? im 6'3 & 200lbs, would it hold up for aggressive xc with a small 3' drop here and there? im not sure if the dawg is billed as a xc bike or am bike. im on the east coast so i need good tech handling

also what size should i get? both my old stinky and scream have 24"ish top tube, but those are freeride bikes with 45mm stems. will the fit be similar to those? shops tend to not carry the larger sizes. im in between the 19" (24.3" tt) and 20" (24.6" tt) i would think. the stand over on both bikes is a non-issue

i had looked at the coilair but have heard some issues with heavier riders and the magic link, plus it weighs a but more then id like

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I personally don't have a Dawg, but I know people that do and have ridden them successfully in the Northeast. It's a solid bike for sure. Not 100% sure about sizing. I tend to not like to be that stretched out on my bike so I would opt for the 19" but I think it's all about personal preference.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
I have a Dawg Deluxe and love it. Great riding bike that can handle the rough stuff when the trail turns. It's an OK climber if you don't mind getting into a lower gear and sitting down and cranking. Scandium frame is nice and light, but don't toss it in a rock garden. I highly recommend the bike.

I'm 6' and 190 lbs and I ride a 19" and it's perfect.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I was looking at the Dawg too. I'm also on the Esat coast (NJ) and ride a C'Dale Rush sl. Wondering if the Dawg would be a good fit for me. Sounds like yes