Quantcast

Kona Dawg or Giant AC Air?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm torn :confused: Help!

Giant is an '02 w/ Avid Mech brakes, Rockshox sid rear shock, Manitou Black front, XT F & R der., Titec stem & bar & Post, WTB seat, LX shifter pods, Avid brake levers, Race Face cranks, Mavic rims.

Kona is an '03 w/ Hayes Hyro beakes, Marzocchi Bomber front, Fox float rear, koski stem & bar & post, Kona seat, LX F & R der., LX shifter pods, Hayes brake levers, Shimano "Octalink" cranks(?), Mavic rims.

Can pick up either for $1200

Thoughts?!?!?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Intended usage, Trail / Epic riding. Long loops hopefully in the rought stuff. Might be dabbling in small drops, stunts, etc...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Giant AC Air would be my choice - I am still totally impressed by Giant's warranty and customer service, they actually follow through without running you through the ringer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know nothing about the Kona but I have an 02 AC air and would certainly recommend it. It is a nice bike with some decent components. I use it for some heavy XC use and some light duty dowhill runs at Wintergreen. The bike climbs well, almost as good as my 7lbs lighter Superlight and can descend better than its pilot allows. It is a great all around bike with some nice parts. And as SMidget said Giants warranty is second to none.

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
If you've got a little time...scour around for an AC Air Light (Hayes Hydro's and a Psylo up front). I paid $1,400 for a used one about a year ago - I broke the frame...and Giant Warrantied it with a 2003 Giant AC-1.

I'd take the Giant over the Kona...

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
I would go with the Kona after having ridden both of the bikes, I felt much better on the Kona. The RS Sid and Manitou Black just didn't do it for me. The Fox Float and the Marzocchi felt tons better. Maybe that's just me

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thank you all for the input! After further test rides, I am going to go with the Kona. I'm with RITFreerider, the Kona felt better to me. The performance (what little I was able to experience) of the Fox rear and Marzocchi up front felt better than the Sid rear and Black front. The black was way to soft. The Dawg has a Fox float rear, not the coil-over and actually weighs within a pound or so of the Giant AC. Maybe you're thinking of the Stinky BikeColorado? The Kona has more slack of a head angle which will increase down hill performance over the (slightly) more XC oriented Giant. The 2 other main factors were a.) I already have a Trek hard tail for "real" XC riding and racing and, perhaps most importantly, b.) The shop that has the Kona just felt right. The owner spent over and hour with me alone just discussing bikes, trail use/access, racing, service plan, beer, etc... He made me feel comfortable where as the Giant dealer just didn't. I'll be picking up the new Ride on Sat.! Yippee!!! Thanks again!!! =)