Quantcast

Kona Dawg vs. Gary fisher cake?

wetsponge007

Monkey
Jan 2, 2006
Camarillo
Hi, I was checking out both of these bikes. They are both used and the Dawg is an 05 and the Cake is an 06. I have heard really good things about both bikes, but I have also heard some bad things about the cake. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about these bikes or simply which one would you purchase. I am going to do trails with the occasional dh and a bit of freeriding. The dawg is also 100 dollars cheaper.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
dawg is the better choice by far, love the bike it does everything, and it’s a kona, so you know it is going to be reliable. I have never liked Gary fisher stuff so I might be a little bias, but this is my two cense on the subject (the lbs here has both kona and Gary fisher’s, I have ridden both of them)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
The coiler is going to be quite a bit heavier than the Dawg, and is not really a trailbike as much as it is a freeride beast.

If you want a 6" travel all mountain rig, look at the CoilAir (if you can drop the money on it).

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
wetsponge007 said:
What do you guys/girls think about the coiler vs. the dawg? I know the coiler has an extra inch of travel but I think that's about it.
the coiler or coilair got a beefed up rear end like a stinky ...so its significantly heavier...i would go with the regular dawg.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
jacksonpt said:
both are solid bikes, but I'd much rather have Kona standing behind my bike than trek/GF.

In my experience, Trek is great with warranty. I had an '02 aluminum Fuel that broke after 2.5 years of riding/racing on iy. I brought it to my shop, the rep came and took pics of the bike, and a week later, a new carbon frame showed up. So I can't complain :cool: