Quantcast

Kona Dope (Stab) - issues?

Aug 4, 2008
Hey there!

I would like to reach out to other Kona Stab owners out there...

I would like to know if anybody had any problems with theirs DOPE floater?

Didn't have any myself yet (new bike 2009)... but I did notice that the assembly twists like mad (on a standstill test). And I can imagine that there are ENORMOUS forces in that area when braking.

Not to mention, that with Magura Gustav M it's pretty impossible to get brakes setup without drag (floater twisting + floating caliper = PAIN!).

Basically I'd like to know if I should order a new assembly in advance or does it hold up ok?

Thanks.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
apparently no one has had issues, thats why there aren't any comments. I dont see why there would be issues, floater tech. has been around for years and would really take an idiot to make a floater that doesn't work.

Aug 4, 2008
Ok... time for status update :)

When I posted this topic, I had a strange feeling that something is not right with my dope, and in fact it was cracked.

I got it replaced and yesterday I noticed that the replacement cracked also. And also my teammate is also running his 2nd DOPE brake mount (also cracked, the same way both of mine did).

That's why I feel kinda odd, that no one else on whole world noticed anything similar?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Not to sound rude here. Post this over on PinkBike.com, you will find more kona riders on that site then here. Thanks for giving everyone a heads up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Where is it cracked? You may get some help from therapycomponents.com. They specialize in floaters and may even produce the one you're talking about. That being said, I can't imagine there would be too many problems caused by twisting, as you describe it. Virtually all forces are going to be pushing forwards, and any side motion should be taken up by the brake mount. Is the crack actually causing the twisting?

As far as the Gustavs, that's just a problem with the brakes. Either switch to a non-floating, different brake, or try to center them as much as possible, and the rub should be minimal/just audible.

Aug 4, 2008
@pinkshirtphotos: point taken :) I just think that responses here will be more constructive.

@Sandwich: Well the floater rod (sp?) is actually holding up pretty fine. The part cracking is the brake mount (the actual moving part). As far as Gustav's go its 100% not the brake since my teammate is running Saint.

I believe Kona (or Brake Therapy?) went a bit over the top with thinning on these parts.