Quantcast

Kona Operator DH - what size?

Night_Falcon

Chimp
Jan 2, 2011
I'm getting a kona operator in a few weeks, and i can't deside if I should get S or M
I'm about 175sm, our trails are mostly technical and not very fast
Any advice?

Aug 4, 2008
I think you already answered yourself.

I'm 186cm tall and previously owned M Stab (2004) and now own an L Stab (2009). I had no qualms over me old Stab, but I like the new one better.

Since you are also between sizes - think about what kind of cockpit suits you best. I found out recently, that roomy cockpit works better and that indeed bigger bikes are easier to control. The wheelbase by itself won't make your trails unrideable.

Night_Falcon

Chimp
Jan 2, 2011
Well, my current bike is an Intense Uzzi vpx, size L, but with cut down seat tube. However it's a FR bike and i still find it a bit too short.
I've tryed a friend's Session 8 M and it fits perfect, but the kona is a bit longer

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I'm 170cm and went with the medium based on the measurements i took between my DHR and the Op. Its pretty close, the small is a VERY short cockpit, I would go at least medium. measure your current top tube and compare it to kona's geo on the website and go from there

emerywd

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
What did you go for?

I've ordered one today and agonised over the sizing too.
I'm 173cm and had exactly the same dilemma between S & M. I rang every Kona dealer and the consensus was that I'd probably be ok on either.

The M Top tube is longer than my XC bike and my Reign X. The S top tube is shorter than both too.
I ordered the small on the basis that the cockpit would only really be compromised when pedalling and not standing up. On the flip side, it would be less of a stretch when standing.

Great deals on these bikes if you look around

Night_Falcon

Chimp
Jan 2, 2011
There was a delay with the order of my bike, but it's on its way now. I ordered an M, after comparing the geometry with the session 8 (it's pretty identical, the kona has a slightly longer wheelbase and a slightly shorter chainstay)
I rode a friend's session 8 and it felt perfect.
The price i'm getting the bike for is just amazing, actually kona's sponsoring a local DH team and i'm on it, so I get the bike for about 1300 EU, which is less than what i sold my last bike for:weee:
It's gonna be here in around 10 days. So stoked!