Quantcast

Kona Operator....Or Session, I dunno. :D

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Despite Konas saying its all new, it looks like a tweaked Stab to me. Or Konas version of the Session. Either way, an update from the current model I'd think...

Those pivots should last a fair while too, if they used good bearings. Still a bit heavy for the weight weenies, but good for the rest of the real world!

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
demo8 front w/ 303 rear.

Despite Konas saying its all new, it looks like a tweaked Stab to me. Or Konas version of the Session. Either way, an update from the current model I'd think...

Those pivots should last a fair while too, if they used good bearings. Still a bit heavy for the weight weenies, but good for the rest of the real world!

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Still can't get into to those longer-than-normal rocker arms.
It's def. a step in the right direction,though.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Absolutely a good step in the right direction! Looks sleek and smart, although the full 1.5 would have maybe been a bit better.

By the session, I just mean in looks, not in function or design. :)

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
looks a lot like a full suspension bike to me.

however, a lot of the posts in this thread look flexy, and I wonder if they can be reposted with a rootbeer color font.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
also no brake therapy.... that was the one thing that actually helped the old stab.
I really don't like floating brakes. I think single pivots work fine without them.

Looks like Kona is really trying to revamp their DH stuff and ot looks much better than their previous incarnations.

-KT

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
http://cog.konaworld.com/archives/4356

How much does it weigh?
Wow, you waited until the 5th question to ask this! I usually get this is the second or third. And I always preface my answer to this question by stating that weight reduction, while a distinct concern of ours, took a back seat to the suspension performance, frame durability and overall weight distribution (which we wanted low and centered on the bike). That said, our medium sample frames came in at 8.46 lbs (no shock). This is a full pound and a half lighter than our previous offering and will run solid season after season.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Also, you guys do realize that something can LOOK like something else without it being identical right? Again, it LOOKS like a session. As in "hey, that bike looks like that bike" or "Brian on Family Guy looks like snoopy" or "Your girlfriend looks like my ass if it were shaved and swallowed a lipstick."

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Also, you guys do realize that something can LOOK like something else without it being identical right? Again, it LOOKS like a session. As in "hey, that bike looks like that bike" or "Brian on Family Guy looks like snoopy" or "Your girlfriend looks like my ass if it were shaved and swallowed a lipstick."
Lies!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I think I rode a prototype of this bike last summer top to bottom at Whistler and it rode much better than the internet stereotypes of Kona had lead me to expect. It wasn't set up at all for me and I was glad to get back on my Revolt but I was not disappointed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it LOOKS like they threw some shimz on those rocker link pivot bolts

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Hey guys, maybe we can argue about four bar/faux bar again. Who wants to start?

I think the bike looks great. I like bikes though, so I may be biased.
I'll bite;

It's still a faux bar and as such it remains inherently inferior in all measurable aspects of performance to an FSR which has both a perfectly vertical axle path and remains fully active under braking.

:thumb: I like bikes too.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I'll bite;

It's still a faux bar and as such it remains inherently inferior in all measurable aspects of performance to an FSR which has both a perfectly vertical axle path and remains fully active under braking.

:thumb: I like bikes too.
"a perfectly vertical axle path"

Who says vertical is perfect? Personally, my experience is that FSR suspension hooks up on square bumps and is no where near as good as a rearward single pivot set up.

I went from SP, to Lawill, to SP i-drive, to FSR, to VPP, to DW and back to SP and my conclusion after 12 years on full suspension bikes is that all things being equal, SP (and DW) bikes are the best of all worlds.

Further, bump absorption together with stiffness is far more important IMO than being fully active under braking or vertical axle paths.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
not bad at all! should be stiff and pretty dialed. i personally like the rear axle and dropout.

i agree that the lower shock mount would be better to bridge between the seat and downtubes.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm not a weight weenie or a bike snob, for my budget I really like my Kona, and know others who like theirs.

This bike looks pretty sweet, but I'm not a techie, so what do I know?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hmmm...going to have to get with the Kona rep @ our shop and see when I can play on one of these. If it corners better than the Stab and still plows/hucks (no...huck YOU!) like it, I could see myself on one.
old Stab had higher pivot(didn't it?), meaning theoreticly at least, is should plow better(all things being equal(correct spring weight,etc)).

"a perfectly vertical axle path"

Who says vertical is perfect? Personally, my experience is that FSR suspension hooks up on square bumps and is no where near as good as a rearward single pivot set up.

I went from SP, to Lawill, to SP i-drive, to FSR, to VPP, to DW and back to SP and my conclusion after 12 years on full suspension bikes is that all things being equal, SP (and DW) bikes are the best of all worlds.

Further, bump absorption together with stiffness is far more important IMO than being fully active under braking or vertical axle paths.
As mentioned above(and I may be wrong), it has a lower pivot than the earlier Stab. But I'm guesing you knew that and were just talking off topic about your ideals.

first DH frame with an integrated lower headset bearing (1.5)? Lahar had integrated headset, and I'm sure many others do/have.

but how exactly does that work with a Boxxer anyway?

http://www.sicklines.com/2010/07/13/2011-prototype-kona-operator/

PS - I don't know if correct tolerances would have the bearing falling out of the frame :)They cant fall out with a stem on etc.
No magic link, dang, I was so eager to see it as a DH version. Slightly rearward axle path when hitting square edges(if designed into it), 6-7" when pedalling, 8-9" when not.
I really liked the few rides I had on the trail bike version. I'm not sure how they could dial i better brake characteristics on a DH version.
Come on Kona, get with it.
I prefered the old stab. Higher pivot, floater to this one. This one would have a less pedal kickback from memory.
A split pivot may have made this better, depends on rider preferance I guess.

Last edited: