Quantcast

Kona Scrap Stolen (Rockridge BART)

halfro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2004
SF Bay Area
Just wanted to say my bike was stolen today from Rockridge BART. It was a green kona scrap with sram x7 shifters, x7 rear derailleur , and everthing else is stock. Also I've wrote on it in black ink with 'OUA AE KAIHA'A and halfro.com.

If you see it kick their ass

Kyle

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wait - you locked up a half way decent bike at a BART station?
:brow:

Sorry but, that is the LAST place you should lock a bike. It's like a shopping mall for bike thieves. (that and the UC Berkeley campus)

Good luck.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wait - you locked up a half way decent bike at a BART station?
:brow:
If that's what you did, I hate to break it to you, but that was a VERY poor choice. Will keep my eyes open.

alteregopo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
Sorry but, that is the LAST place you should lock a bike. It's like a shopping mall for bike thieves. (that and the UC Berkeley campus)

Good luck.
I dont think UC Berkeley is as bad as UC Davis.
I've locked my 10 years old Giant bike and it was stolen!!! I am pissed because the lock is more expensive than the bike, haha.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I dont think UC Berkeley is as bad as UC Davis.
I've locked my 10 years old Giant bike and it was stolen!!! I am pissed because the lock is more expensive than the bike, haha.

UCB is one of the worst places in the country. SF and Oakland are both in the top ten. UCB is a big part of this.

Kryptonite’s Top 10 Worst Cities for Bike Theft**
1. New York, NY
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Chicago, IL
4. Washington, DC
5. Boston, MA
6. Eugene, OR
7. Philadelphia, PA
8. Oakland, CA
9. Seattle, WA
10. Miami, FL

Some places I would NEVER, EVER leave a bike locked (EVER):

BART - any station. Not even Concord.
Berkeley public library (BAD spot)
Berkeley YMCA
Upper Telegraph Ave

Basically, I might lock my bike in front of a store if I was going in for just a minute - and I make sure it's locked properly, or better yet bring it inside. If a store owner tell me I can't bring it in, and I KNOW there is room inside, I tell them that I don't want to give them any business. They usually say no prob after that.

A thief can swipe you bike in less than a minute if they want it. Keep it close or make sure if you lock it up that it's a bike you don't mind losing.