Quantcast

Kona Shred 06 [or] Mongoose Fireball/Ritual 07

iLucid

Chimp
Oct 31, 2006
Hey Guys, first post here.

Im a new convert, been riding flatland bmx for years and want to get myself a decent entry level dirt jumping bike. Won't be doing too much on it other than riding through the woods/hills having a bit of fun on it. Prob use it to ride to work too.

So I've been looking around and have narrowed it down to three choices.

I'd like you guys opinion on which bike I should buy, the 2006 Kona Shred, the 2006 mongoose Ritual/Fireball.

Any other suggestions are welcome but I'm pretty interested in getting one of the ones mentioned :)

All advice appreciate
Thanks man!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I demo'd a shred and it just didn't feel right to me. I havent had any time on the gooses but i've seen them up close and they look like nice bikes. basic no frills beater hardtails.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The shred is spec'd a bit better, but it's also $200 more than the 'goose. I'm sure the Fireball is a solid frame, so you probably can't go wrong with either.

I'd probably go with the fireball, then if you really get into riding upgrade in a year or two. If you don't get into riding and are just looking for something to goof around on, then the fireball is likely plenty of bike for you.

That said, the shred is a better bike... but do you want to drop the extra coin on it?

iLucid

Chimp
Oct 31, 2006
Hi skatetokil, what didnt feel right about the Shred exactly?

I'm actually (reluctantly) scrapping the idea of getting a Ritual, I didn't realise until now that it only has one speed. I think i'd regret getting a gearless bike, although the ritual looks so damn nice.

Think I shall go with the Shred.

I have one question, Ive noticed while doing searches for the Shred 2006 model, that some frames shape looks totally different, take a look at the two pics below.

Shred 1

Shred 2

They are different shapes, is this because one is a larger frame size than the other?

Thanks

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Hi skatetokil, what didnt feel right about the Shred exactly?

I'm actually (reluctantly) scrapping the idea of getting a Ritual, I didn't realise until now that it only has one speed. I think i'd regret getting a gearless bike, although the ritual looks so damn nice.

Think I shall go with the Shred.

I have one question, Ive noticed while doing searches for the Shred 2006 model, that some frames shape looks totally different, take a look at the two pics below.

Shred 1

Shred 2

They are different shapes, is this because one is a larger frame size than the other?

Thanks
Looks to me like the angle of the camera is the only thing that's different between the two....frame size might be a part of that discrepancy too....but they're not different designs.

iLucid

Chimp
Oct 31, 2006
You're crazy, they are very different.

Anyway, I found out that its the frame size that decides the different angles.

Cheers for replies!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
For one thing, I thought the shred was a bit high for jumping and urban. I like hardtails with real low standover that I can flick around.

When I was looking at these bikes I ended up with a giant stp1 btw. Better parts spec than the mongoose and a better frame than the kona.

iLucid

Chimp
Oct 31, 2006
To be honest while Im going to be bombing around the hills/woods have a laugh, I'll probably mainly use it on the road for going to work, friends houses, shopping centre, camping etc.

I ordered a 2005 Kona Shred last night :)

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
i own a scrap the 06 model and i love it, rides smooth, jumps nice and i have done some fun trails with it. I mongooses being sold at walmart and target, so i would not recomend one. so you did good with kona bro. theres not much different between the scrap and the shred.