Quantcast

Kona stab brake floating arm position

Felipe_bika

Chimp
Aug 2, 2009
Hi,I have a kona stab deluxe and I would like to know wich position is better to use the brake arm?(Up hole or down hole?)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I use mine in the up position. I just heard that if you use it in the lower position, it makes the bike squat when you hit the brakes. Wouldn't really help me any.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
the kona floating brake system is retarded. my buddy has it on the lower one on his stinky deluxe and the arm rubs on his tire when the suspension compresses and the bike squats when he brakes like Leppah was saying. so i guess upper one is the way to go

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
the kona floating brake system is retarded. my buddy has it on the lower one on his stinky deluxe and the arm rubs on his tire when the suspension compresses and the bike squats when he brakes like Leppah was saying. so i guess upper one is the way to go
Too bad Stinky's only have one position.

Aug 4, 2008
Well my experience is a s follows:

I actually like the lower possition better. It does make the bike squat under braking, which is good as it keeps the geo balanced. On the other hand it increases brake jack - that is not necessarily bad - rear wheel skids faster which can be good and under heavy it actually increases stopping power (IMHO).

But you shouldn't drag your brakes in that position. The upper position does make the suspension more active - but it lacks braking performance it also transfer the whole braking load to fork (that's what floater does :)) - which might be good or bad depending on your preference.

There is a caveat with 2009 Stabs - the new cast floater dropout is s*** - if you mount it to lower position they tend to crack (i went through 1 each month - under moderate use) - no issue on upper position.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
It's a 4-bar. Is a floater really needed in the first place?
Its a single pivot with a rate modifying linkage in a faux bar layout....ie no horst style pivot. So a floater can be of an advantage:thumb:
Ask anyone who rode one before they had floaters how kona stabs ride without them:eek:
Que Percy....................................................:weee:

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Its a single pivot with a rate modifying linkage in a faux bar layout....ie no horst style pivot. So a floater can be of an advantage:thumb:
Ask anyone who rode one before they had floaters how kona stabs ride without them:eek:
Que Percy....................................................:weee:
What?:confused:

Oh, yeah, when I made one for my 04 Stab I originally designed it for the lower setting on yours, but tried it in both settings.
I much preferred it in the lower one cos it made the bike waaaaaay more settled
under braking in really rough conditions, especially while cornering.

BTW the difference from between before the floater and after was night and day, before it was like any other single pivot under brakes, after was mint, stable, smooth and not scary at all!:thumb:

Last edited: