Quantcast

kona stinky for racing?

Aug 3, 2009
so this year i bought a kona garbonzo stinky from winter park. This season ive started to get into racing now. Would a stinky work for racing? Im looking to buy a fox 40, boxxer team or wc or a 888 for my bike. what could else I improve on this bike to suit it better for racing in CO?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The Stinky will be fine, although it does not have the geo of the high end racing bikes. It was built to be a FR bike, but LOTS of people use 'em to go real fast down hills. What fork is on there now? I don't know if I would spend a fortune on a new one if you are after a dedicated race machine. I do think an 888rcx2 from 2006/7 would be a decent choice though.

Aug 3, 2009
The fork i have now is a 66 rcv from 08 and i would by a new fork used so that its cheaper. What are some good pure racing bikes that are not to much money?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The fork i have now is a 66 rcv from 08 and i would by a new fork used so that its cheaper. What are some good pure racing bikes that are not to much money?
Sunday is the best if you think performance/price. You can get used ones for amazing prices with great components (Seen great completes around 2k and frames around 1k).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Your Stinky should do fine racing. As you get faster and start getting on podiums, you might want to upgrade to something more racing specific. A double crown fork should take up the hits a bit better, but I suggest enjoying what you have until you're absolutely sure what you have is holding you back.

Have fun out there.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
You can race on just about anything with 2 wheels. I had the oppurtunity to take a lap with a guy who races super-D at Whistler on Sunday and he blew me away riding a Santa Cruz Blur and I was on my Revolt and having to work to keep up. Spend some time racing and if you feel like you are missing podiums because of your bike then you should upgrade, until then it probably isn't your bike that's stopping you from winning.

That said, if you can afford it, nice gear always makes for a better experience at any ability level.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Your Stinky should do fine racing. As you get faster and start getting on podiums, you might want to upgrade to something more racing specific. A double crown fork should take up the hits a bit better, but I suggest enjoying what you have until you're absolutely sure what you have is holding you back.

Have fun out there.
Word. Buy the bike when you're sure you want it (cuz bikes are not really things we need ;) )

shakedown

Aug 27, 2007
Atlanta
I raced a stinky for a year with a 888 rc3 on the front. The extra fork length
slacked the headtube angle to right around 64 degrees. Helped the faster stuff. I raced snow shoe and rode at windrock for that year also. Then got on a Turner Dhr and swapped most of my parts over.

Aug 3, 2009
well ive already started to get a lot better at racing and have won a race at winter park so im realy looking to atleats upgrade my fork some. When i start to ride aster on really rocky stuff my fork kinda feels a little flexible to me. Would a dual crown fork be stiffer?

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It will be competitive up to Cat 2. A Cat 1 rider would have trouble keeping up in the corners. Running a lot of sag with progressive damping will help lower and slack it out to mimic race geo.

And yes, a dual crown is the only way to go for racing.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Not really familiar with those frames but just look at the geo numbers of popular race bikes and compare to the bikes you're looking at. A low BB helps you corner faster and a slack headtube helps with high speed stability. A lot of race bikes use longer chainstays than freeride or trail bikes for stability but I actually dislike long chainstays for any kind of riding, makes it hard to manual. Neither a low BB or slack HT are necessarily bad for general trail riding but a slack seattube angle does suck for trail riding cuz you can't raise your seat into a reasonable pedaling position.

Basically the Stinky has a comparatively tall BB and steeper HT but that will only become a hindrance when your speed gets above Cat 2 levels.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not really familiar with those frames but just look at the geo numbers of popular race bikes and compare to the bikes you're looking at. A low BB helps you corner faster and a slack headtube helps with high speed stability. A lot of race bikes use longer chainstays than freeride or trail bikes for stability but I actually dislike long chainstays for any kind of riding, makes it hard to manual. Neither a low BB or slack HT are necessarily bad for general trail riding but a slack seattube angle does suck for trail riding cuz you can't raise your seat into a reasonable pedaling position.

Basically the Stinky has a comparatively tall BB and steeper HT but that will only become a hindrance when your speed gets above Cat 2 levels.
The 2010 or 09 stinky has a lower bb than the old ones. 14.25'' if I remember correctly. When I was looking at it it was pretty close to dh bikes 2-3 years ago.