Quantcast

Kona Stinky Sizes?

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
This is probably a repost (I did search and didn't find anything) but anyways....

What's the deal with Kona's sizing on their Stinkies? The come in the S (15"), M (15.5"), L (16"), etc. My last bike was a 17", and I'm 6'0", 190lbs. I was thinking the large would work, but how is this different? Will a large Stinky feel like your run-of-the-mill 19" or will it feel like a real 16"???

(Yah, I'm a noob) :o:

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Anyone? Can anyone translate the different sizes of the Stinky? Basically I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a large. I understand the TT size doesn't matter as much in this case, but if anyone can add to Denny's info, I'd appreciate it.

Jimmy

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The measurements have to do with the seat tube, not the top tube. For 05 they shortened the seat tube to give more standover, but the top tube remains the same. This is how they went from an XL @ 19" to an XL @ 17". Seems to me that you will notice the difference in a negative way if you are going to pedal a lot, but you can compensate with a longer seat post. Positive difference is, well, more standover clearance so potentially less damage when you slip a pedal. :nuts: :nope: I imagine the shorter set tube will also let you get off the back of the bike that much easier.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Ok, interesting. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I guess this means I should be in the clear if I get the Large. (6'0", 32 inseam). (Like I said, I had a 17" hardtail that felt slightly small.)

So gee, I guess not only should I be worried about making the right purchase, but I also need to make sure I protect my baby-makers. :o:

Thanks for the good info.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JimmyTwoTimes said:
Ok, interesting. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I guess this means I should be in the clear if I get the Large. (6'0", 32 inseam). (Like I said, I had a 17" hardtail that felt slightly small.)

So gee, I guess not only should I be worried about making the right purchase, but I also need to make sure I protect my baby-makers. :o:

Thanks for the good info.
Seat tube lengths are really not relevant any more. Back in the days of hardtails, it might have been consistent, but with all the FS and sloping TT (like on DJ bikes), you cannot correlate ST length between bikes.

Manufacturers do realize this, which is why the list bikes by Size and seat tube length. Probably the most relevant measurement for fit is the Effective Top Tube length, which is the reach. That is ultimately what matters, unless you have very unproportional sized legs.