Quantcast

Kona Stinky Travel ?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Generally, increasing travel on a short travel bike like that is just a bad idea. The frame was designed to be a 5" travel frame, and to handle the stresses generally imparted on a 5" travel trail bike.

If you put new linkage plates on it, you're going to put a lot more stress on the shock, first of all. If your plates take into account a longer shock, then you're spending $300-400 or more on a new shock, plus a couple hundred on new linkage plates. To do what? To turn your bike into a downhill bike so that it'll break faster? For that price, you could find a used Bullit frame.

Save your money, and buy a used downhill or freeride frame. Sell your Stinky if you don't want a 5" travel bike.

Would you take a Honda Civic and put a lift kit and big tires on it? No, that would be silly - obviously, the Honda Civic won't last long if you offroad with it. Same deal here - your bike wasn't meant to be a 7 or 8 inch travel freeride/DH frame.

Good luck with whatever you decide. BETD used to make plates to increase the travel on a Stinky, and I think Dangerboy did as well if you're really fixed on doing this.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
"SPAM." I have a set of Dangerboy plates if you're interested. They stopped making them two years ago, so they're pretty hard to find.

PM me if you want to check them out. End "SPAM."

I ran them on my '03 Stinky and loved 'em. The frame is as burly, if not more, than most DH/Freeride frames on the market, so it'll handle the increased stress. I ran mine in the 7" travel setting with a Romic twin clicker and loved the way it rode. I never tried the 8" setting because it requires a 24" wheel.

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
04 Stinky Primo's have 7" or rear wheel travel. BETD doesn't offer plates for the Primo. If you want/need more travel you should start looking for a new frame.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
lux said:
"SPAM." I have a set of Dangerboy plates if you're interested. They stopped making them two years ago, so they're pretty hard to find.

PM me if you want to check them out. End "SPAM."

I ran them on my '03 Stinky and loved 'em. The frame is as burly, if not more, than most DH/Freeride frames on the market, so it'll handle the increased stress. I ran mine in the 7" travel setting with a Romic twin clicker and loved the way it rode. I never tried the 8" setting because it requires a 24" wheel.
PM Sent

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hence it has 6" and you can get the betd plates but its not really worth it...wheel world has 7" stinkys for like $700, sell that for 5 and the extra money gets you a better shock and 7" of travel on a frame that was designed for 7",

one thing, the 5/6" stinky's of 02-04 have the same front end, 1" more travel just has a slightly longer swingarm and different rockerlink, the 7" stiny's moved up to a longer shock making the leverage ratio not so bad. if you really wanted 7" out of that i would try and custom cnc my own using a longer shock. the betd are nice but use the same shock, 2" to get 7"pretty high ratio