Quantcast

Kona Stinky?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That is what I've been hearing so that's why I wanted to try one. Alot of people take what they read on internet forums as gospel. I have some people telling me I won't like the Stinky and they never even rode one.:thumb:
And half of the people I know stop ending the kona when they don't have to rationalise their buy and get themselves a new bike. Konas are not crap by any means. They are simply mediecore bikes and for the money you can get much better. That is why getting a Kona is considered by some people stupid as you to some degree waste your money. 09 stinkys look like they have better geo and I've never tried them but the ones I've had limited time on were really nothing impressive. So many people buy konas because of their gigantic marketing machine. Every kid knows about kona even if he doesn't know **** about FR/DH/SS/Improvised Dancing

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
And half of the people I know stop ending the kona when they don't have to rationalise their buy and get themselves a new bike. Konas are not crap by any means. They are simply mediecore bikes and for the money you can get much better. That is why getting a Kona is considered by some people stupid as you to some degree waste your money. 09 stinkys look like they have better geo and I've never tried them but the ones I've had limited time on were really nothing impressive. So many people buy konas because of their gigantic marketing machine. Every kid knows about kona even if he doesn't know **** about FR/DH/SS/Improvised Dancing
Have you ever owned one?

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
Mediecore is the perfect word for a Kona Stinky. Not to say you can't have fum on them, there is just better bikes out there. I owned one, I know.
If you go to MTBR you will get a different response from the people there, they seem to be blindly obedient to the Kona Badge.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I'll let you all know how it is but this whole thing about marketing etc is BS. Everyone knows about Santa Cruz, Giant and all the other big names so saying Kona is marketing more than say Cannondale is just not accurate. Kona has a good frame. Hell, I'm sticking the same components that were on my V10. What also is BS is that people think because a company is small and hand weld their frames in the basement that it's a cool "Boutique" bike and are willing to pay more. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

So what makes a bike mediocre in your opinion? and what exactly makes a Kona Stinky mediocre? Sure, it comes a little lacking in the spec department but I always put on what I want anyway.

Last edited:

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Mediecore is the perfect word for a Kona Stinky. Not to say you can't have fum on them, there is just better bikes out there. I owned one, I know.
If you go to MTBR you will get a different response from the people there, they seem to be blindly obedient to the Kona Badge.
What bikes do you say are better? I couldn't want anything more from mine, other that a little more small bump absorption, which could be solved with a better shock. I've ridden a Demo 7, it's nothing special. I've ridden an Intense Uzzi, it flexed like a Mofo, and I only weight 145. I've spent a lot of time on a DirtBag, and it doesn't ride close to as nice as a Stinky even though it had a nicer shock. Just because they cost a lot less than every other bike doesn't mean they aren't as good or better.

I've been on an 07 Stinky Deluxe for several months now and the bike is great.

I'll confess that it has "mediocre" components and it doesn't pedal all that well........BUT.......if you're looking to do some fun runs on the mountain or on the local trails......you're on a good bike. But if you're one of these people who put stock into the machine.....like if it's not a 6k ride then it's nothing.....then the Kona is not for you. But if you wanna have some fun and not invest too much money and ride it like you stole it........then the Kona is a great bike!

I have mine set up with a DC fork as a DH sled..........so I don't have to pedal that much!

Have fun and tell the Kona H8r's to go f*ck themselves while you smile ear to ear on your next run!

Ride on and ride safely!

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I've been on an 07 Stinky Deluxe for several months now and the bike is great.

I'll confess that it has "mediocre" components and it doesn't pedal all that well........BUT.......if you're looking to do some fun runs on the mountain or on the local trails......you're on a good bike. But if you're one of these people who put stock into the machine.....like if it's not a 6k ride then it's nothing.....then the Kona is not for you. But if you wanna have some fun and not invest too much money and ride it like you stole it........then the Kona is a great bike!

I have mine set up with a DC fork as a DH sled..........so I don't have to pedal that much!

Have fun and tell the Kona H8r's to go f*ck themselves while you smile ear to ear on your next run!

Ride on and ride safely!
Maybe I should put some catch phrase's on it like FTW or WTF and say it was hand welded or it was built by Matt the Iron Worker. Maybe it be cooler:D

AMEN brother!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'll let you all know how it is but this whole thing about marketing etc is BS. Everyone knows about Santa Cruz, Giant and all the other big names so saying Kona is marketing more than say Cannondale is just not accurate. Kona has a good frame. Hell, I'm sticking the same components that were on my V10. What also is BS is that people think because a company is small and hand weld their frames in the basement that it's a cool "Boutique" bike and are willing to pay more. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

So what makes a bike mediocre in your opinion? and what exactly makes a Kona Stinky mediocre? Sure, it comes a little lacking in the spec department but I always put on what I want anyway.
Stinky is mediecore because of the the avreage geo (haven't tried the 09 model though) and susp that is really nothing special. I know it may be fun for some people as it gets shorter (If I'm not wrong) in turns and it's a nice feeling but you can have a lot other bikes that do the same.

And about marketing. I can assure you A LOT more people know about kona. Everyone in the industry know about giant, sc etc. but every new kid in the game thinks Konas are the shizzle (this included me).

Also those butique frames are not better only because of being hand made in us or a high quality taiwanease factory like pacyfic(better quality is worth something) but also because of better geo, suspension, customer service and sometimes also they give you some extra.

What bikes do you say are better? I couldn't want anything more from mine, other that a little more small bump absorption, which could be solved with a better shock. I've ridden a Demo 7, it's nothing special. I've ridden an Intense Uzzi, it flexed like a Mofo, and I only weight 145. I've spent a lot of time on a DirtBag, and it doesn't ride close to as nice as a Stinky even though it had a nicer shock. Just because they cost a lot less than every other bike doesn't mean they aren't as good or better.
The demo was either the wrong size or you must really like what most people dislike about the bike. Try a commecal, blindside, 07-08 dhr or other low-mid pivot sp without faux bar.
Also you can get dhrs for quite good prices now and they beat the stinkys to the ground on every level from customer service to build quality.

Dec 11, 2007

You said it yourself, "lacking in the spec department". That in combination with odd geometry, bad pedaling, digressive suspension curve and horrible brake squat.

I'm not hating on Kona. You asked a question, I gave my answer. It sounds like your mind was made up from the beginning, so why start this thread if you don't want to hear it?
Ride whatever makes you happy.
That's the point, right?

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Since when does one bike or another constitute having more fun? Fun is more based on how good the trail is/ how many friends you're with/ overall experience of a ride not really as much on the bike you ride. Sure i understand a stinky might be more fun than a V10 on a more mellow trail because it has less travel, but a stinky wont be more fun than any other competent bike. A kona is a good value, but not the best bike. I don't think it will necessarily help you have more fun.

One suggestion i have for your new bike is to get a real chainguide. That will make a ride more fun when your shuttling because the chain wont fall off as much!

Dont mistake this for Kona hate, because it isn't. It's just a statement on the fun factor of a bike vs. another.

Enjoy your new bike and have a blast out there! But remember, Kona doesn't equal fun. Mountain biking equals fun.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Stinky is mediecore because of the the avreage geo (haven't tried the 09 model though) and susp that is really nothing special. I know it may be fun for some people as it gets shorter (If I'm not wrong) in turns and it's a nice feeling but you can have a lot other bikes that do the same.

And about marketing. I can assure you A LOT more people know about kona. Everyone in the industry know about giant, sc etc. but every new kid in the game thinks Konas are the shizzle (this included me).

Also those butique frames are not better only because of being hand made in us or a high quality taiwanease factory like pacyfic(better quality is worth something) but also because of better geo, suspension, customer service and sometimes also they give you some extra.

The demo was either the wrong size or you must really like what most people dislike about the bike. Try a commecal, blindside, 07-08 dhr or other low-mid pivot sp without faux bar.
Also you can get dhrs for quite good prices now and they beat the stinkys to the ground on every level from customer service to build quality.
This is a perfect example of marketing brainwash. If the bike companies ever want to know if it is working, they just need to read your reply.

Oh, and just how exactly are you going to "Assure" me that "Alot more" people know about Kona than any other brand? Please tell, maybe I missed the memo. I'll go check my outlook again.

I've seen this crap for years. I've been riding and racing motorcycles for about 20 years. I stopped buying into the marketing crap and the hearsay a loooong time ago. I'm not saying Kona is the best or there are not better bikes aout there but c"mon guy's, does it really matter if the weekend warrior is on the Syndicate Santa Cruz Race replica V10 or the equivalent?

Last edited:

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Since when does one bike or another constitute having more fun? Fun is more based on how good the trail is/ how many friends you're with/ overall experience of a ride not really as much on the bike you ride. Sure i understand a stinky might be more fun than a V10 on a more mellow trail because it has less travel, but a stinky wont be more fun than any other competent bike. A kona is a good value, but not the best bike. I don't think it will necessarily help you have more fun.

One suggestion i have for your new bike is to get a real chainguide. That will make a ride more fun when your shuttling because the chain wont fall off as much!

Dont mistake this for Kona hate, because it isn't. It's just a statement on the fun factor of a bike vs. another.

Enjoy your new bike and have a blast out there! But remember, Kona doesn't equal fun. Mountain biking equals fun.
Could not agree more. You hit the nail on the head. My V10 was not as much fun as I thought it was going to be. You need to ride that bike fast. The faster you go the better it is. At this point in my life, I'm not really into that.
Kona's are cool man! Period. :thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
This is a perfect example of marketing brainwash. If the bike companies ever want to know if it is working, they just need to read your reply.

Oh, and just how exactly are you going to "Assure" me that "Alot more" people know about Kona than any other brand? Please tell, maybe I missed the memo. I'll go check my outlook again.

I've seen this crap for years. I've been riding and racing motorcycles for about 20 years. I stopped buying into the marketing crap and the hearsay a loooong time ago. I'm not saying Kona is the best or there are not better bikes aout there but c"mon guy's, does it really matter if the weekend warrior is on the Syndicate Santa Cruz Race replica V10 or the equivalent?

How? How many santa cruz bikeparks you've seen? How many people outside of the community you know that know any other brand than kona (or maybe giant?). I know at least 20-30people who don't know crap about dh/fr and think konas are the best. Look at pinkbike and you will find legions of kona followers. I've been in the community for some time and I simply have eyes.
If you want to buy a stinky do it but please don't try to rationalize it agaist logic and calm down. Kona is a bike company not your wife.

I only wonder why the hell you even asked about the bike if the only arguments you listed to are pro kona and you get agressive every time someone says something not 100% positive about the company (actualy I have a lot of respect for their involvment to the sport and some of their other bikes so don't see me as a hater). It starts to look like you already have the bike. And for the record for the stuff you want to do imo another kona (the 6'' 09 model or coiler) still would be better.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
norbar has an interesting point, you were pretty much sold on the Kona from the start, you just wanted confirmation here.

In that case, should I buy a Commencal Supreme DH? I already own one and ride for them, but I just want to know what people I've never meet think.

You like the Kona, ride the d@mn Kona. Some people like the way they ride, looks like you're one of them.

Is that Whaaaambulance guy from mtbr on RM?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
ok...........I'm going riding

I bet that if Sam Hill rode a special works Kona all of you would be saying how great Kona's were lol!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ok...........I'm going riding

I bet that if Sam Hill rode a special works Kona all of you would be saying how great Kona's were lol!!!!!!!!
Fabien Barel rode kona(and nico rode mine and I'm not to fond of it) for quite some time but you win cupcake. You are entitled to a complementary shrimp cola and a set of cheese knives.

BTW. I just noticed you already have the bike...

/Tread for me.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Fabien Barel rode kona(and nico rode mine and I'm not to fond of it) for quite some time but you win cupcake. You are entitled to a complementary shrimp cola and a set of cheese knives.

BTW. I just noticed you already have the bike...

/Tread for me.
That's all I wanted the whole time fruit tits:D

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Sooooooooo are trying to start a fight or are you just stupid? Blindside is Faux Bar, ridden a DHR, cornered like a beast, but it's just a single pivot like Kona and Commencal. And what was that about the digressive axle curve? Are you talking about the axle path? The difference in axle path between a Demo 7 and Stinky is a few millimeters (I saw a Linkage simulation of the two, comparing Faux bar with FSR). Don't get me wrong, I'd like it if a lot of things were different about my Stinky frame, namely that the chainstays were about .2 inches shorter and the BB about a quarter of an inch lower, but other than that, I love it. I'm just hate the people that fall for the marketing bull****. I used to be a "K0na suckz and they break a lot and Faux bar suckzorz" but then I actually rode some bikes and realized that I liked it better than the others. If you don't like them because of geo or whatever, fine, but each to his own. Don't even pull the suspension design bull**** though. Fabien seemed to win on his just fine. He did better on Kona than he has on Mondraker.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Kids these days...
Please learn to read before you call me stupid as aparently you have serous reading comprehention problems. Nothing about dhr not beign sp, bad kona as a company, Barel doing bad in kona (quite the opposite actualy). Also as I've said I tried not the 09 stinky which has stort stays (older models have 17.9'' stays which is around an inch longer than the demo not 0.2).
Also am I now allowed not to like stinky AFTER RIDING IT? I'm always perplexed how angry the stinky crowd gets just because someone says their bike is IN THEIR OPINION mediecore and overrated. If you want more reasons to hate me I also have big problems with vp-free and I don't like the feel of some of the vpp bikes (try to stay away from it). I also don't like culiflowers and getting up early. That should entertain you for a while. Well unless your reading skills won't get any better after your previous post.

Also if you have any quarell with me please write to my PM as this tread is actualy pointless as the bike is already bought and our discusson is pointless.

BTW. Linkage can be so wrong very often as half of the bikes in it are done by morons from low quality pictures.

Last edited:

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Kids these days...
Please learn to read before you call me stupid as aparently you have serous reading comprehention problems. Nothing about dhr not beign sp, bad kona as a company, Barel doing bad in kona (quite the opposite actualy). Also as I've said I tried not the 09 stinky which has stort stays (older models have 17.9'' stays which is around an inch longer than the demo not 0.2).
Also am I now allowed not to like stinky AFTER RIDING IT? I'm always perplexed how angry the stinky crowd gets just because someone says their bike is IN THEIR OPINION mediecore and overrated. If you want more reasons to hate me I also have big problems with vp-free and I don't like the feel of some of the vpp bikes (try to stay away from it). I also don't like culiflowers and getting up early. That should entertain you for a while. Well unless your reading skills won't get any better after your previous post.

Also if you have any quarell with me please write to my PM as this tread is actualy pointless as the bike is already bought and our discusson is pointless.

BTW. Linkage can be so wrong very often as half of the bikes in it are done by morons from low quality pictures.
Hahahahahahhaahahahahhahahahahahahahaah. I never said that a Demo's stays were .2 inches shorter. I KNOW you acknowledged that the Turner is a single pivot. I was talking about how you said a Blindside doesn't have faux bar, and you made it sound like Faux bar is worlds different than SP, when in fact, Commencal's Contact system does the exact same thing as Faux bar (activates the shock). I'm not saying you're an idiot for not liking the bike, each to his own, but you're making it sound like the suspension design is loads different than the others, when in fact it is almost the exact same. The linkage simulation was done with actual measurements, and was accurate. It seems as if you talk about my reading skills in an attempt to cover your own arse, but I could be wrong there and this could be just a giant understanding. I post this in the forum and refuse to write you a PM because I feel this is a productive discussion that people could actually learn from.

Last edited:

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Whatever Mountain Bike Action says is good is what I'm buying:p

This thread has become so stupid I'll be unsubscribing from my own thread. Now if I can just get the time back I wasted in my life arguing in here I would be happy. Good luck to all and go ride dammit

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sooooooooo are trying to start a fight or are you just stupid? Blindside is Faux Bar, ridden a DHR, cornered like a beast, but it's just a single pivot like Kona and Commencal. And what was that about the digressive axle curve? Are you talking about the axle path? The difference in axle path between a Demo 7 and Stinky is a few millimeters (I saw a Linkage simulation of the two, comparing Faux bar with FSR). Don't get me wrong, I'd like it if a lot of things were different about my Stinky frame, namely that the chainstays were about .2 inches shorter and the BB about a quarter of an inch lower, but other than that, I love it. I'm just hate the people that fall for the marketing bull****. I used to be a "K0na suckz and they break a lot and Faux bar suckzorz" but then I actually rode some bikes and realized that I liked it better than the others. If you don't like them because of geo or whatever, fine, but each to his own. Don't even pull the suspension design bull**** though. Fabien seemed to win on his just fine. He did better on Kona than he has on Mondraker.

As much as I am on your side that the Kona is just fine, The Blindside, and the Old style turner destroy the kona in ride characteristics, suspension handling, cornering, and Plow factor. While I dont want to get into a debate on what makes a bike a single pivot, not do I want to discuss axle paths, what you are forgetting about is the amount of trail these bikes have, which will make all the difference in how it feels underneath you.

I will however agree hands down, I do not like how the Demo rides.

You have to agree, Marketting really does have alot to do with it, two Manfs that stand out as Huge marketeers are Kona, and Giant. Both you can get alot of bike for the money, in most all lines.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
As much as I am on your side that the Kona is just fine, The Blindside, and the Old style turner destroy the kona in ride characteristics, suspension handling, cornering, and Plow factor. While I dont want to get into a debate on what makes a bike a single pivot, not do I want to discuss axle paths, what you are forgetting about is the amount of trail these bikes have, which will make all the difference in how it feels underneath you.

I will however agree hands down, I do not like how the Demo rides.

You have to agree, Marketting really does have alot to do with it, two Manfs that stand out as Huge marketeers are Kona, and Giant. Both you can get alot of bike for the money, in most all lines.
Couldn't agree more, although I've never spent any real time on a Turner. What is "trail" that you speak of? I've never heard the term.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The old style turner is pretty terrible in "plow" mode as far as I've experienced, its fycking amazing for cornering and flicking, but its not a plow bike.

This is of the most retarded suspension discussions I've seen on ridemonkey. A bunch of those are rate altering single pivots. They all have different suspension rates. Norbar doesn't like the stinky's leverage rate. The OP obviously does. Great. end of discussion.

Dec 11, 2007
Kids these days...

I agree with you 100%.
The poster's mind was made up before the thread was started.
He does not want our opinion, clearly.
We have logical arguments based on real world situations (I OWNED a Stinky).
We answered his questions, to the best of our abilities.
This thread is dead to me.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Couldn't agree more, although I've never spent any real time on a Turner. What is "trail" that you speak of? I've never heard the term.
Hmmm, DaveP or DW can explain it better than I can for sure, but let me see if I can get this simply. Think of it as how the wheels follow the frame of the bike as they go through the travel. Maybe one of them can pop in to explain that more.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The old style turner is pretty terrible in "plow" mode as far as I've experienced, its fycking amazing for cornering and flicking, but its not a plow bike.

This is of the most retarded suspension discussions I've seen on ridemonkey. A bunch of those are rate altering single pivots. They all have different suspension rates. Norbar doesn't like the stinky's leverage rate. The OP obviously does. Great. end of discussion.

The older turner still plows better than the Kona does.

The SIngle Pivot thing, I go off what I was taught at Barnetts.

Its not really a suspension arguement, its an arguement about Kona being a good bike or not, the vast majority here are considering it a Mediocre bike, and that it is only popular because of mass marketing. There are alot of bikes ou there that I would consider to be just as Mediocre as the Kona stinky, that many here consider to be the best bike out there as well.

Last edited: