Quantcast

Kona Top Tube Pads

Would you buy a top tube pad for your Kona if one was on the market?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the price

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I have talked to Angie at Core Rat about doing a TT pad for my cowan. It is going to cost me about 30 bucks CDN. I like supporting small compaines when I can. I am wondering if there would be enough people who would buy a pad for the clump tubing. I think if there is enough interest it would make the price worth it. Plus it would be great to support a small company who has been there since the start of the freeride movement.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
30 bucks for a pad?

Hardware store, foam pipe insulation = $ 6.00 for 5 feet
fabric store, cloth and velcro = maybe $5.00

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it doesn't have to be 'getto'.

doesn't anyone know how to use a sewing machine anymore?

if you want some kind of fabric that holds up well to dirt/water go to Seattle Fabrics on Aurora and get an outdoor type fabric. you could probably get something from the scrap bin and spent next to nothing. how much fabric does a frame pad use, less then an 1/8 of a yard?

what is the 'pad' part of a frame pad made out of these days anyways?

Jun 18, 2004
I'll pay $30 for a full set of pad's for my Cowan ss... but only if there in black with orange embrodering that says 'Ghetto'... or 'Full Blown Ghetto' (not that I'm from the East Coast)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
aren't pads for bmx bikes usually less then 20 bucks? stem, cross bar and frame pad combo.

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
Here is the issue on the pad. For the clump tubing you want to make the pad tapered, because the top tube has a larger dia. at the head tube then at the seat tube. If you made a one size pad it will not look right plus it may hit your legs when you ride. thus it may make you ride with your knees pointed out.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I know it's tapered. simply cut the fabric in the shape of a wedge instead of the shape of a rectangle.....

see image.

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Does the Cowan have cable routing on top or underneath the top-tube? Redline has a cool padset that uses self-adhesive velcro and then a formed foam pad that you attach to that. You can see it on my old Enduro here. Part of the kit is a sweet molded stem pad also that is kind of visible in the pic.