Quantcast

Kona Unit/chain tensioners

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Okay, so I have an 03 Unit, with the horizontal dropouts. I am running a Spot rear, with Red Line tensioners. Problem is, the tensioners dont fit perfectly into the drop out. There is about an 8th of an inch between the tensioner and where the dropout ends. Am I risking damage to the dropout? Or is there a tensioner/spacer set up that is more appropriate to the Unit?
I dont want to wreck my Unit, if you know what I mean!

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Don't know if what I'm about the tell you will be to your liking. The best way IMO to solve the tension issue on your Unit will be an ENO hub or a half link depending on your gearing.

The dropouts on your Unit do not play well with tensioners so you'll have to depend on the gears to have good chain tension. Another alternative will be to file the dropout in oder to allow the tensioner to have a good grab on the frame but if you do that you risk frame damage and bye bye warranty.

I own a '04 with sliding dropouts and love it.

Gary H

Chimp
Apr 6, 2005
Niagara, Ont.
I had an 02 Unit, never had problems with slippage. I used a long ratchet too put the lugs on though. Maybe some metric "star" lock washers under the nuts?