Quantcast

Kona's 4x offerings

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I'd be very interested to hear how that cowan ds pedals with the concentric BB pivot.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
sanjuro said:
the cowan has a fugly weld on the head tube, the howler they filed it off.
not just a weld. but so you can run a giro. mr. cowan likes it like that

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
sanjuro said:
the cowan has a fugly weld on the head tube, the howler they filed it off.
not sure if that's sarcasm, but looks like gyro tabs to me.
EDIT: wow, 3 people made this post in the same minute.

anyone know prices or have pics of the frames built up? these looks sweet.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH cowans bike is so gay. Singlespeed fully with gyro tabs... he runs pegs too. If he could double peg the quarter in the boneyard it wouldn't be so bad. Oh Johnnnnnnnnnnnny

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cowan DS looks like a thru-axle whereas the holwer is QR.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but with the concentric on the Cowan, you would get no chain growth, so you could run a single speed without a tensioner. Pretty cool.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
The Kadvang said:
HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH cowans bike is so gay. Singlespeed fully with gyro tabs... he runs pegs too. If he could double peg the quarter in the boneyard it wouldn't be so bad. Oh Johnnnnnnnnnnnny
Only when you have a pro-model will I listen to you bash other pros for having a pro model.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
OGRipper said:

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but with the concentric on the Cowan, you would get no chain growth, so you could run a single speed without a tensioner. Pretty cool.
yes, I did that on my cove gspot when I trashed my rear derailleur on the trail.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
OGRipper said:

actually i think the cowan is qr aswell. i htink that hole is for a peg

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
escapeartist said:
Only when you have a pro-model will I listen to you bash other pros for having a pro model.
Cowan is a fag, if he wants pegs and a gyro, he should ride a BMX bike. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't say he wanted to keep mountain biking mountain biking by banning certain kinds of bikes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Sherpa said:
Cowan is a fag, if he wants pegs and a gyro, he should ride a BMX bike. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't say he wanted to keep mountain biking mountain biking by banning certain kinds of bikes.
i did not know that pegs and a gyro were requirements to be homosexual.

oh yeah, and all those tools that want to run shocks and gear-boxes should stick to riding motorcycles. we don't want any of that technology bleeding over this way. it will confuse us and give us too many options that would potentialy allow us to ride the way we want to ride. "any color you want, as long as it's black" - thanks mr ford :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
mandown said:

oh yeah, and all those tools that want to run shocks and gear-boxes should stick to riding motorcycles. we don't want any of that technology bleeding over this way. it will confuse us and give us too many options that would potentialy allow us to ride the way we want to ride. "any color you want, as long as it's black" - thanks mr ford :thumb:

HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah I don't understand the haters here. Progression happens, even if it means borrowing ideas from BMX and other sports - what, you think that stuff is all original? Come on, they got ideas from others too. Why do any of you really care if someone wants pegs or a gyro? Hell I'm so stoked I'm already working on my infinity bar spin peg stall on my 2-6... :D

Oh wait let me put it in language you can understand: Cowan DS roXors the soXorz!!!...LOLZ!!!...or whatever...

:stosh:

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
screw gyro tabs thats a thing of the past i say a pic from euro bike that allows you to put a hydrallic gyro on as spacers its crazy

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
one of my friends are looking to buy a howler, do you think it will be enouph for him, he has a P2 and does like 7 foot drops with it. could the howler make a 15

dvasis

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
out hunting hippies
howlers not really a big drop bike. unless your really smooth like say mr. cowan himself.

and you guys are gay for bashing on cowan. you couldnt do half the stuff he does. he rarely runs the peg, and is a killer rider who could own...hmmm, averyone here? come on guys, put ups not put downs.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
mandown said:

It's not the progression, it's the fact he disses people who ride 24's yet he has pegs and a gyro.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
don't those concentric pivot bikes tend not to pedal too well? anyways it looks pretty nice. although the peg mounts and gyro tabs are a bit excessive it seems like a pretty cool and definitely versatile frame.

both bikes have 4.5 inches of travel, as far as i know. i think with so little travel the bob wouldnt be so bad. kona faux-bar doesnt pedal exceptionally well as it is, so i dont know how much the concentric pivot would change things. the howler is being sold as a complete bike with 1x9 gearing (kona chainguide as seen on 2005 cowan hardtail) with a 4" fork. I think the cowan DS will probably be my next frame purchase, RS pike, light(er) weight wheels, 34-16 gearing. seems like it'd be a fun little bike

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
escapeartist said:
You obviously don't understand the irony of cowan, who banned 24" rims from his contests because he thinks it isn't "mountain biking" putting pegs and a fvcking giro on a full suspension bike when he can't even grind... actually i think he does some sick tree stalls in NWD 6. Thats progression for you.

Besides, your logic sucks. Thats like saying I hafta be president to criticise the president...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
OGRipper said:
HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah I don't understand the haters here. Progression happens, even if it means borrowing ideas from BMX and other sports - what, you think that stuff is all original? Come on, they got ideas from others too. Why do any of you really care if someone wants pegs or a gyro? Hell I'm so stoked I'm already working on my infinity bar spin peg stall on my 2-6... :D

Oh wait let me put it in language you can understand: Cowan DS roXors the soXorz!!!...LOLZ!!!...or whatever...

:stosh:
Except cowan isn't progressing at all, hes on the way out.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
ok, now what? bitch a little bit more? or realize that nothing anyone says is gonna change this one bike, or the rider of it? i vote for bitch more, but we should probably have a poll to see what the people want.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Sherpa said:
It's not the progression, it's the fact he disses people who ride 24's yet he has pegs and a gyro.

If he is dissing people who run 24's, that must be new, because I seem to recall an article in decline written by him that was bitching about all the bitching going on at his jump jam when Grant Felder showed up with a 24" and won. I seem to recall that Cowen stood up for felder, and his 24" ways. If Cowen has gone all 24" hater like the rest of decline, then he's a hypocrite.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
The Kadvang said:
You obviously don't understand the irony of cowan, who banned 24" rims from his contests because he thinks it isn't "mountain biking" putting pegs and a fvcking giro on a full suspension bike when he can't even grind... actually i think he does some sick tree stalls in NWD 6. Thats progression for you.

Besides, your logic sucks. Thats like saying I hafta be president to criticise the president...
I knew you'd be here soon enough. :love: Cowan is played.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Cash-Money said:
both bikes have 4.5 inches of travel, as far as i know. i think with so little travel the bob wouldnt be so bad. kona faux-bar doesnt pedal exceptionally well as it is, so i dont know how much the concentric pivot would change things. the howler is being sold as a complete bike with 1x9 gearing (kona chainguide as seen on 2005 cowan hardtail) with a 4" fork. I think the cowan DS will probably be my next frame purchase, RS pike, light(er) weight wheels, 34-16 gearing. seems like it'd be a fun little bike

If I had the money, That'd be my next 26" bike, except with 36-16 gearing. No pegs or gyro though, I'd just run my front cable through the headset, and the back really long. That's the kind of Freeride bike that I dream about. no derailer no complicated gears to worry about, just a bmxish suspension bike that can kill mountain bike trails.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
dirtjumpP.1 said:
ok, now what? bitch a little bit more? or realize that nothing anyone says is gonna change this one bike, or the rider of it? i vote for bitch more, but we should probably have a poll to see what the people want.
Nah I just liek making people get heated on the internet

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
scurban said:
If he is dissing people who run 24's, that must be new, because I seem to recall an article in decline written by him that was bitching about all the bitching going on at his jump jam when Grant Felder showed up with a 24" and won. I seem to recall that Cowen stood up for felder, and his 24" ways. If Cowen has gone all 24" hater like the rest of decline, then he's a hypocrite.
cowan is the biggest 24" hater there is, he hits keg stands off that haterade