Quantcast

Korn guitarist finds God, leaves band

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
EW YORK (Billboard) -- Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch has parted ways with the hard rock act, citing a recent religious awakening.

Welch broke the news Sunday on Bakersfield, California, station KRAB-FM.

"I had it in my heart to come here and explain to you," Welch said. "I'm good friends with Korn. I love those guys, and they love me, and they're very happy for me."

Addressing the aggressive tone of the music he made with Korn, Welch said, "Anger is a good thing, and if kids want to listen to Korn, good, but there's happiness after the anger. I'm going to show it through my actions how much I love my fans."

Welch added that he would be appearing at a local church on February 27, during which time he would "speak (about) how I got to this place in my life, and I'll answer all your questions."

On its official Web site (http://www.korn.com), Korn's remaining members said they respect Welch's wishes and hope "he finds the happiness he is searching for." The group is in the studio working on a new album, due in September, which will be its first since fulfilling its contract with Epic last year.

For now, no replacement for Welch has been named, nor has a new label home for the band.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Hmm... I wonder if he found god before or after doing blow off that stripper's butt? :think:

In related news Slayer guitarist, Kerry King found god, then sacrificed a virgin to piss him off :evil:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I'll be interested to see what he does now musically. The website mentioned that he is going to pursue his musical career "along those lines" (Christian music) - hopefully this is the start of some non-lame Christian music.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
I do believe that it was the Beach Boys that mentioned GOD in a song it was the 1st time a pop band did so it was the song "God only knows" off of the PET SOUNDS record. (excellent album by the way)

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I'll make you so sure about it

God only knows what I'd be without you

If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

If you should ever leave me
Well life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

God only knows
God only knows
God only knows
God only knows
God only knows
God only knows

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
then of course, there's Andy Partridge's "Dear God":

Dear god,
Hope you got the letter,
And I pray you can make it better down here.
I don’t mean a big reduction in the price of beer,
But all the people that you made in your image,
See them starving on their feet,
’cause they don’t get enough to eat

From god,
I can’t believe in you.

Dear god,
Sorry to disturb you,
But I feel that I should be heard loud and clear.
We all need a big reduction in amount of tears,
And all the people that you made in your image,
See them fighting in the street,
’cause they can’t make opinions meet,
About god,
I can’t believe in you.

Did you make disease, and the diamond blue?
Did you make mankind after we made you?
And the devil too!

Dear god,
Don’t know if you noticed,
But your name is on a lot of quotes in this book.
Us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look,
Still believing that junk is true.
Well I know it ain’t and so do you,
Dear god,
I can’t believe in,
I don’t believe in,

I won’t believe in heaven and hell.
No saints, no sinners,
No devil as well.
No pearly gates, no thorny crown.
You’re always letting us humans down.
The wars you bring, the babes you drown.
Those lost at sea and never found,
And it’s the same the whole world ’round.
The hurt I see helps to compound,
That the father, son and holy ghost,
Is just somebody’s unholy hoax,
And if you’re up there you’ll perceive,
That my heart’s here upon my sleeve.
If there’s one thing I don’t believe in...

It’s you,
Dear god.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
llkoolkeg said:
Spiritual music doesn't have to be lame, e.g. reggae in it's rootiest form is very spiritual. It's certainly hard to get past the sandals and strummed acoustic stereotype, though.
not too familiar w/ the tenets of rastafarianism, but is their god the same as JC and co?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Isn't it Jah, but man there is not nearly the amount of info on Rastafarianism on the net as the others...

but here is an excerpt

"You can't rule the world with vigor and guns and bullets. It's love that rules the world,'' Stewart said.

Fueled by anger over the colonial oppression of blacks, Rastafarianism emerged in Jamaica during the 1930s and spread throughout the Caribbean. Followers practice a strict oneness with nature, eating only certain foods and growing their hair into long strands called dreadlocks.

``Everywhere in the world, the movement means liberation,'' said professor Rex Nettleford, a social scientist who is vice chancellor of the University of the West Indies.

About 700,000 people practice the faith worldwide, with most of them among Jamaica's 2.6 million people. There are about a dozen sects differing in the degree of their adherence to the religion's doctrines.

Jamaican Rastas say they still endure discrimination in the birthplace of the religion, maintaining they are looked down upon for their dreadlocks and ritual use of marijuana, or ganja. "

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
llkoolkeg said:
Spiritual music doesn't have to be lame, e.g. reggae in it's rootiest form is very spiritual. It's certainly hard to get past the sandals and strummed acoustic stereotype, though.
True, but most Christian music sadly is pretty lame. My wifes biggest complaint about Christian music is it's lameness - way too "happy and shiny" and not very "real". For the most part I can't say that I disagree with her.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Bono is a Christian, does that make U2 a Christian band. I've heard "Rattle and Hum" described as one of the best gospel albums ever.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
valve bouncer said:
Bono is a Christian, does that make U2 a Christian band. I've heard "Rattle and Hum" described as one of the best gospel albums ever.
Oh I love U2, but as for bands that consider themselves Christian for the most part (there are a few exceptions - believe me I've searched high and low) they are pretty lame. Granted the "shiney happy" Christians like those groups, but I'm not a "shiney happy" Christian...............LOL

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
narlus said:
then of course, there's Andy Partridge's "Dear God":

Dear god,
Hope you got the letter,
And I pray you can make it better down here.
I don’t mean a big reduction in the price of beer,
But all the people that you made in your image,
See them starving on their feet,
’cause they don’t get enough to eat

From god,
I can’t believe in you.

Dear god,
Sorry to disturb you,
But I feel that I should be heard loud and clear.
We all need a big reduction in amount of tears,
See them fighting in the street,
’cause they can’t make opinions meet,
About god,
I can’t believe in you.

Did you make disease, and the diamond blue?
Did you make mankind after we made you?
And the devil too!

Dear god,
Don’t know if you noticed,
But your name is on a lot of quotes in this book.
Us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look,
Still believing that junk is true.
Well I know it ain’t and so do you,
Dear god,
I can’t believe in,
I don’t believe in,

I won’t believe in heaven and hell.
No saints, no sinners,
No devil as well.
No pearly gates, no thorny crown.
You’re always letting us humans down.
The wars you bring, the babes you drown.
Those lost at sea and never found,
And it’s the same the whole world ’round.
The hurt I see helps to compound,
That the father, son and holy ghost,
Is just somebody’s unholy hoax,
And if you’re up there you’ll perceive,
That my heart’s here upon my sleeve.
If there’s one thing I don’t believe in...

It’s you,
Dear god.

And so true

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Actually weren't Ministry a Christian band. They had that song "Jesus Built My Hot-Rod". They certainly sounded very god-fearing. :thumb: ;)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
narlus said:
not too familiar w/ the tenets of rastafarianism, but is their god the same as JC and co?
There are many different sects, but in a nutshell, they follow the OT and non-canonical texts as may be found in the Apocrypha. They consider themselves the lost tribe of Israel and believed that the late Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie was the Son of Man...kind of an interesting mix of OT stoicism and NT selflessness with a dash of African Repatriation and Ital dietary regimen mixed in for good measure. Instead of bread and wine, though, cannabis is the sacramental host.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I used to work for a live sound company that did a lot of Christian gigs... I can remember some of the bands that were way cool some are still around... some are not....

The Crucified - Speed metal/punk. Very hard core

Breakfast With Amy - Fun irreverent, heavily influenced by the Pixies, and Sonic Youth. Their live shows were a blast.

Scattered Few - The freaking Perry Farrel of the Christian music set. Weird, dark, and very good.

L.S.U. - Kinda new wave pop type stuff. Actually pretty good.

The Violet Burning - hard to describe. I only worked with them a couple of times, though many folks said they were pretty good. I do remember they had a girl that could really belt it out.

The Violent Femmes also sing about God from time to time. Gordon Gano is a Christian. He did a great gospel album with a band called The Mercy Seat. I only have it on vinyl, but if you can find it pick it up. It's awsome!

That is all I know. I hope I have helped you to realize that there is some good christian music out there... it's not all Striper and Amy grant. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, "o'malley's bar" is a good old tune, as his take on the old chestnut "stagger lee".

we stayed in a private apt this past summer in stockholm, which was owned by a swedish family. judging from her room and music collection, i'd say she was probably in the range 9-12 years old. i found it fascinating in that the 30 or so cds of hers, a copy of _Murder Ballads_ was included. she must have been drawn in by the Kylie Minogue connection (duets w/ Nick on "where the wild roses grow"), and not known the depths of depravity into which the entire album was created around...

:devil:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Suicide Machines have a song called Jah. only word in the whole song is Jah. isn't POD christian? they rock hardcore. and people used to tell me MXPX was christian. these same people, who originally got me into punk, decided to burn all their cds after going to the New Wine Church for a couple months.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
that is a record. I may just have to start saying patois in my day to day conversations. Good info on RFnism KoolKeg! I am feelin irie!

nick cave rules.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Ah, yes, finally a Christian rock thread. Back in the 90s, Deliverance, Tourniquet, The Lead, and White Cross, and Barren Cross were all pretty rockin' Christian bands. Holy Soldier was more poppy. Although I realized later that Deliverance, White Cross, and Barren Cross were pretty much mimicking secular bands i.e. White Cross was a Christian version of Ratt and Barren Cross was the Christian version of Iron Maiden.

Anybody from Florida ever listen to The Lead? In 1990 they had a record out on REX Records. The Lead was some scary stuff. Heavy, heavy, heavy. Still probably the heaviest, scariest music I've ever heard. And my intruduction to hardcore....

I actually saw Stryper in 2003 just for fun. They were not that bad! Hadn't seen them since they were playing arenas in 1988. I was proud to be wearing the oldest Stryper tee in the house. A fellow Monkey went with me. We both noticed that most of the Stryper fans in the house were pretty ugly. And no one seemed to be fan of my devil tattoo....

Oh, well, I used to be Born Again but I guess I died.

Pedro the Lion? I didn't realize they were a Christian band! I owned an album by them for a second. ("Control.") It just about broke my heart. It centered around adultery, as I recall... I had to sell it because it was so sad.

Here are the lyrics to Pedro the Lion's "Second Best." Ugh, depressing! I wouldn't expect anything so cold from a Christian band.

"The impact
The aftershave
The European cigarettes

The taxi
The alcohol
That lingers on your breath

The lipstick
The street lamp
The woolen overcoat

The front desk
You tell yourself
It isn't over yet