Quantcast

kramatazi No racism, casual or otherwise

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I'm a little surprised that the grandfather of downhill gathered nary a mention in a DH forum.

Technical? Not a bit.

Boring? only if you go slow.

Fun??? I just did the MegaKami in the old guy class (over 40, wtf??)

21 guys entered. Mass start laying on our backs feet uphill, 20 ft from our bikes.

After a messy start and first turn, I was in a 5 man race at 45 mph for 6 minutes, passing back and forth.

It was my first DH race in '94. My face hurt from smiling then. I like speed. I was a minute slower and 10 mph down on my last run in 2001, but it was still a blast.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I vividly remember the first time I ever went down Kamikaze. Blue skies with an amazing view of the Minarets, foot out flat out with Aces High blasting in my headphones.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I'm a little surprised that the grandfather of downhill gathered nary a mention in a DH forum.

Technical? Not a bit.

Boring? only if you go slow.

Fun??? I just did the MegaKami in the old guy class (over 40, wtf??)

21 guys entered. Mass start laying on our backs feet uphill, 20 ft from our bikes.

After a messy start and first turn, I was in a 5 man race at 45 mph for 6 minutes, passing back and forth.

It was my first DH race in '94. My face hurt from smiling then. I like speed. I was a minute slower and 10 mph down on my last run in 2001, but it was still a blast.
Thats so cool. talk about roots of the sport. I remember watching as a kid the Reebok Eliminator, the trials competition, even the ezakimak hillclimb. Those were the good old days. Its crazy to think of the equipment from back in the day flying down the mountain at 60mph+. Talk about balls.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Reminds me of one of the local races with a running start they did here, had a mandatory pre-ride meeting and while the “meeting” was going on some helpful race personnel re-arranged all the bikes. Good times.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Thats so cool. talk about roots of the sport. I remember watching as a kid the Reebok Eliminator, the trials competition, even the ezakimak hillclimb. Those were the good old days. Its crazy to think of the equipment from back in the day flying down the mountain at 60mph+. Talk about balls.
haha, I forgot about the hillclimb. But then, I try to forget about all climbs.

The equipment was sketchy, my first race was '94, but the first Kamikazi was '86. Cruisers with coaster brakes? At least I had cantis

But apparently these days my balls have compensated for the vastly improved equipment by barely exceeding my '94 speed.....

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Reminds me of one of the local races with a running start they did here, had a mandatory pre-ride meeting and while the “meeting” was going on some helpful race personnel re-arranged all the bikes. Good times.
they coulda done that to us. We couldn't see the bikes laying on our backs

That woulda been hilarious. I can just see us all tripping over each other to get to our bikes.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I first rode the kamikaze back in 97. So much kitty litter I was on my trek 9200 with a Judy. I hit 40 mph. I was 16 and that was one of the funnest weekends of my life.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I rode the Kamakazi back at the 2003 or 2004 national champs. Tomac was there and won it I think. I'm glad I did it I guess. Bucket list material considering the importance it played in our sport.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Since half of you still don't get it: it's kamikazE. Sort of like how you drink sakE at a sushi bar. Kah mee kah zeh.

I gave myself a hell of a concussion at the 2001 (I think) Kamikaze, for the record. Overshot a big tabletop to flat.

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I have no time for racing. Still usually get out to Mammoth once a year to ride though.
is that a good or bad thing? seriously?

I "retired" from racing in '03. It was only the chance to race my own brand at the Sea Otter Enduro a couple years ago that unretired me.

I've only done 2 races since then, really just for fun and pr.

I had mixed feelings. It was fun. Some older riders might celebrate it.

Then I remembered that most of the world just thinks I'm a stupid old man with a death wish or refusal to grow old. And I kinda felt a little sad.

THEN!!! I remembered that it's always been this way, whether with the general population, doctors, other engineers. I've always been a stupid risk taker with a death wish, so nothing's new. so I felt better.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I haven't entered in an official "race" in years, and was never all that motivated to pay a bunch of money and wait for my time slot anyways. I'd rather just ride the whole day and race whoever I'm riding with or myself.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
is that a good or bad thing? seriously?

I "retired" from racing in '03. It was only the chance to race my own brand at the Sea Otter Enduro a couple years ago that unretired me.

I've only done 2 races since then, really just for fun and pr.

I had mixed feelings. It was fun. Some older riders might celebrate it.

Then I remembered that most of the world just thinks I'm a stupid old man with a death wish or refusal to grow old. And I kinda felt a little sad.

THEN!!! I remembered that it's always been this way, whether with the general population, doctors, other engineers. I've always been a stupid risk taker with a death wish, so nothing's new. so I felt better.
To be fair, I've met plenty of doctors and engineers who also have a stupid deathwish and go out and ride hard and take risks. They're not all dentists.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Since half of you still don't get it: it's kamikazE. Sort of like how you drink sakE at a suhi bar. Kah mee kah zeh.

I gave myself a hell of a concussion at the 2001 (I think) Kamikaze, for the record. Overshot a big tabletop to flat.
fixed spelling in the title. They removed all the goofy little jumps and tabletops they used to have at the bottom. Now you're just flat trackin thru there, fine with me.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I haven't entered in an official "race" in years, and was never all that motivated to pay a bunch of money and wait for my time slot anyways. I'd rather just ride the whole day and race whoever I'm riding with or myself.
ya, I think we've had this discussion. It's a disease for sure. there's not much logic to it.

Although DH racing was never really "racing". I always have more fun racing against a pack. It could be a pack of one.

Don't get me wrong, I have done and do an infinite number of solo racing laps and I like it. I test, I lap. It's a thing.

But I really like beating people. Or trying to. Even if, these days......................................................................small victories count.

But that was the great thing about moto compared to DH. You're on the starting line with 20-40 other riders launching into the first turn....and always somebody to race with, first or twentyfirst.

The Megakami was fun. Seeing the string of riders in front of me in a line down the course. Passing and repassing at 45 mph.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
To be fair, I've met plenty of doctors and engineers who also have a stupid deathwish and go out and ride hard and take risks. They're not all dentists.
DeathWishDentists. Either a movie or a band name.

That's not really a thing is it? Unless trying to escape a marriage?