Quantcast

KS LEV - school me on it

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a regular lev integra that does that. It's gotten better since new but if my bike sits for a day or a few hours, it sticks at first.

I keep meaning to increase the air pressure but you know........seat adjustment and all.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You have to jam on it to get it to go up?

I always put my bike away with my post in the down position. The next time I ride, I always have to hold the lever down for 10-15 seconds before it comes up for the first time. After that, its golden. Even earlier this year, after my bike had been locked up and not touched for 6 months, it did the same thing.

That's my experience with two KS posts; a Dropzone and a Supernatural.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Just bought a new DX, and it's got a weird trait. The first time I actuate it on a ride, it doesn't release unless I really jam on it. After that it's fine for the whole ride. Is this normal? Does it go away after being broken in?
My Lev-Ti took some time to break in and acted just like you described. First 5 rides or so, it would stick really bad. I think one of those rides it wouldn't even actuate. I had to de-air the cartridge, air back up, and it actuated after that. Been on it about 8 months now and haven't had those issues since, so I am chalking it up to "break-in."

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
My LEV was buttery smooth from the beginning 3 years ago, but started to get stuck for the last 2 rides. Took it apart 2 days ago.

Just cleaned it, gave it a proper relube and it's working like a charm again.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My LEV was buttery smooth from the beginning 3 years ago, but started to get stuck for the last 2 rides. Took it apart 2 days ago.

I put a tad bit of Slickoleum under the main dust seal after every few rides. That kept my previous KS post running good for at least 2 years with no other maintenance.

Though, I think the inside of the post eventually got packed full of the grease as it started to squeeze out of the bottom...

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack

3 years! Wow. Where are you riding? Me and all my Lev bruddha's get sticky nasty nonsense in there after several months here in NC. It is pretty routine for me to open it up every 3-4 months, clean, replace internal cable, and relube.

If anyone is interested, a buddy started this thread on MTBR. Once you do it once, the normal service is dead simple, check it out: http://forums.mtbr.com/components/ks-lev-diy-cartridge-rebuild-899659.html

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
3 years! Wow. Where are you riding? Me and all my Lev bruddha's get sticky nasty nonsense in there after several months here in NC. It is pretty routine for me to open it up every 3-4 months, clean, replace internal cable, and relube.

If anyone is interested, a buddy started this thread on MTBR. Once you do it once, the normal service is dead simple, check it out: http://forums.mtbr.com/components/ks-lev-diy-cartridge-rebuild-899659.html
In usually wet Austria with a whole lot of night rides in the snow as well. I always tried to avoid to slam the post down all the way when the exposed shaft was full of dirt. I thought it could help to not force all that dirt inside the dust wiper. Maybe I was lucky :dance:

I know that MTBR thread quite well, cakelly4's masterpiece immo

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I put a tad bit of Slickoleum under the main dust seal after every few rides. That kept my previous KS post running good for at least 2 years with no other maintenance.

Though, I think the inside of the post eventually got packed full of the grease as it started to squeeze out of the bottom...
Yeah, my bottom cap was quite full with gritty grease and stuff. The nastiest thing though was a dry white covering of the three copper guides. Had to really rub hard to get it off and smooth again.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've dribbled in some triflow under the threaded collar a few times and that seems to keep things working well. I'm about 2.5 years in without any service to speak of. I just "upgraded" mine with a retrofitted front derailleur shifter. Awesome upgrade.

Complex procedure. I'd like to know how long it takes once learned.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I pulled one apart just for fun after seeing that thread. No shit.

His directions are really good. It's not that big of a deal. 15 minutes?
Spoken like a person with an aptitude for things mechanical and some tools. And some space to work on stuff.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Grave did....need a little help here gents.

Any idea how to adjust the seat direction on my Lev? The KS vid and instructions both describe the clamp cradle (circled, below) as removable.

Lev 3.png

But mine seems to be one piece.

Lev 1.jpg

This is the exact model:

https://www.wiggle.com.au/ks-suspension-lev-dropper-seat-post?lang=au&curr=AUD&dest=27&sku=106098064&kpid=106098064&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sIjuJ7xwN_dc|pcrid|295358483416|pkw||pmt||prd|106098064au|&pgrid=64803325092&ptaid=aud-968058868983:pla-521010019860&dest=27&curr=AUD&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr5d4h8LO3jvcQMN-oEdin9BocQlzevA5Iu_piJWjKXgOd3S8JQonKMaAh1MEALw_wcB

Is this some kind of weird less adjustable OEM model? Or am I really that cognitively incapacitated and I've somehow missed how to do this?

Thanks monkeys!

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Hmm, as far as I can tell, there's no right or wrong way, the adjustment is just to get the cable junction box in the right place, relative to seat direction.

I've got it installed, but I'm keen to find out if the extra adjustment is possible...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
On mine you unscrew the air valve cover and can then spin the cradle in about 20 different positions. I don't think all lev's can do this.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
IIRC the spinny head was only on older ones. I think they switched to the fixed head like you have a while ago. Guess they never updated the documentation.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
If you have the Lev with the cable entry on the side it's supposed to have the adjustable head to let you orient the cable entry anywhere, even on the current ones. The Lev Integra doesn't have that feature because stealth routing but the two cartridges are otherwise interchangeable. It's possible that yours has just had the cartridge replaced with the Integra version when someone was in a pinch.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Well then... I guess it's the usual clusterbomb that is the sport we love.

Anyway, I've got it on the DH bike along with skinny rubber and an 11-36 cassette. It's enduro time!