Quantcast

Ktm 2006

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
No, haha- but I constanly hear problems. My friend tested a scott high octane in the parking lot. He blew out the fork (stance kingpin). They replaced it and he bought it. He blew out the fork again not long after.

I hear about stances cracking at the stanchions. My lbs repairs so many manitous.

I have a marzocchi dirt jumper 2- I have had it for 2 years. It has never needed service. Neither has my friend with the shiver that he replaced it with.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
mtnbrider said:
No, haha- but I constanly hear problems. My friend tested a scott high octane in the parking lot. He blew out the fork (stance kingpin). They replaced it and he bought it. He blew out the fork again not long after.

I hear about stances cracking at the stanchions. My lbs repairs so many manitous.

I have a marzocchi dirt jumper 2- I have had it for 2 years. It has never needed service. Neither has my friend with the shiver that he replaced it with.
It's not like zocchi forks don't have problems.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
mtnbrider said:

The Stances do suck. The Shermans, and now the Travis's, are a completely different story.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yeah... thats why he got it. It seems like the high octane was meant for it. Its perfect with the frame (w/ dhx5). Its an '05 so the fork is black as is everything else.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
mtnbrider said:
Really? Must not like taking care of your stuff huh? Just because your fork hasnt had problems does not mean it never needs service.

Judging manitou around the stance line is like judging marzocchi around the exr comps that come on 300$ konas. :rolleyes:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My fork feels great, but maybe I should chage the oil soon ayway. Well sorry if i pissed anyone off about manitous, I just like mazocchis.

Is anyone selling an exr? I'm looking for a cheap one for my ski bike.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Pull a Manitou, RockShox, Fox and a Marzocchi to bits and compare the engineering and materials. You'll then realise why Manitou and Rockshox are absolute crap. Every Manitou or RS fork Iv had has had problems. They are built down to a price and designed to last not much longer than a season. Utter crap. I swore never to own either again. Iv never had problems with Marzocchi.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
keepin_it_real---i agree with you, ihave manitou and they suck , my friend own rock shox and after little time oilwas going all over same problem i have with manitou than i tryed 2 marzocchi and now i buy third, never any problems and i think that marzocchi is how much you pay that quality you get

ps. little going off topic huh ?

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
A ski bike, do you guys get heavy snow down in Los Olivos? I think a ski bike might be pretty pointless for a place that never gets weather under like 95. Un less you travel to goletas new indoor ski resort, its fake snow, but it is sweet to ride.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just got back in from shoveling 3' of snow in the driveway. I think its going to be kind of a dry year for Los Olivos. The last few years all the roads were closed here in August from 8' of snow. I couldn't even ride my bike. I had to walk 2 miles through all the powder back and forth to school.

I will take it to Mountain High, Mt. Baldy, places in Lake tahoe. I'm also going to WA/OR area in a few months. I will ski bike with some monkeys up there.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Hell yeah- When you come back from school, we can snowboard those trails (or ski bike). Might be a little sketch riding in 10+' of snow.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
mtnbrider said:
Hell yeah- When you come back from school, we can snowboard those trails (or ski bike). Might be a little sketch riding in 10+' of snow.
You do know that ' means feet, right? " is inches...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
wow those bikes are ugly, but as far as manitou goes, i like them they have some very great forks. it just seems that their "low bugdet forks" are, how do i say it....."low bugdet" many riders wouldn't be where they are today if it weren't for the dorado, or the sherman. but zocchi is a good brand too, they are an amaing company, but i will always be a die hard rock shox fan. boxxer and pike my two favorites.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
You really like devilish bikes for labyrinthine single trails - best of all steep downhill. Jumps, sharp bends, rough roots and terrain ridges are paradisiacal conditions for you? Then you have hit the spot with our free-riders!

What country is ktm based in? They have some crazy descriptions.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
General Lee said:
gotta remember that this is ridemonkey. . . . where the marzocchi shiver is the end-all-be-all, god's gift to suspension.
i was in that camp. however, after buying my pike race, i am going to change my mind. if the rest of the RS line has similar suspension feel, i may end up buying a boxxer. i have only been on the fork for a month, so i cannot commdent on the durability and longevity of the product. what i can say is, the pike tracks better than my 2004 shiver (DC). if boxxers offer the same suspension feel with more travel, i will probably end up selling the shiver and getting one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
mandown said:
i was in that camp. however, after buying my pike race, i am going to change my mind. if the rest of the RS line has similar suspension feel, i may end up buying a boxxer. i have only been on the fork for a month, so i cannot commdent on the durability and longevity of the product. what i can say is, the pike tracks better than my 2004 shiver (DC). if boxxers offer the same suspension feel with more travel, i will probably end up selling the shiver and getting one.
ride it through a creek several times and then give us another review for long term durability.....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bizutch said:
ride it through a creek several times and then give us another review for long term durability.....
been through a creek or two with it. nothing that deep. i try to manual through those crossings to cut down on the splash and soggy shoes.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
KTM motos have had some geometry/steering issues that are finally getting worked out. However, the HA on the FR bike looks really steep. They claim 68, and it looks at least that steep. Either way I wouldn't ride a 7" travel fork with any steeper than 67 and prefer 66 with 7" forks.

Luckily I was able to lower the back end of my KTM MX to get it to handle right.

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
it does suck it has a manitou, and yes I actually had one, actually 2 and I broke both, rockshox isn't so bad, some of the older froks had to much plastic in them and were easy to blow out (I have broken 3 psylos) but rockshox is good now, pikes are great (with exeption for the first 1000 or so that broke behind the arch) and for 06 those boxxers are unbeatable. and marzzochi are okay, but they are loud and not one I have elt is as smooth as a pike or anything with motion control. and I have broken 1 of my 2 marzzochis.