Quantcast

La Bresse WC

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I thought the same, Nike 6.0. But Nike ditched the team I think. McCaul is on Teva and Semenuk on Etnies (I think). Not sure what Ratboy wears now...

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Gwin in the perfect situation. Whitley's preparation. Trek's backing. Tomac's tutoring. Leov to train with. Mrs. House serving up the victuals! :thumb:

There are quite a few US riders who may or may not have had the opportunity over the years to be in Gwin's shoes. But for all sorts of reasons covered over the years, they've had reason to go elsewhere.
How do we explain TMo. What has Whitley done with her. It's not too long ago that it looked like Whitley had made an error bringing her to TWR. Now she's totally dominant. Sure Rach is jacked up, but TMo seems to have advanced in a big way in the last two years of a pretty long career. No Tomac, no Rhino, no Mrs. House, so what's going on there?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
How do we explain TMo. What has Whitley done with her. It's not too long ago that it looked like Whitley had made an error bringing her to TWR. Now she's totally dominant. Sure Rach is jacked up, but TMo seems to have advanced in a big way in the last two years of a pretty long career. No Tomac, no Rhino, no Mrs. House, so what's going on there?
She is nothing short of inspirational when it comes to work ethic. I remember at St. Anne in 2008 while watching XC the Sunday morning after the DH race she was out on her XC bike riding up the hill, eyes dead straight. She's strong and puts a huge effort into training and it shows. Sure, the team is a large part of 'We', but the gold around her neck is 100% because of her. The other top girls have great teams as well.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
But hasn't she always had a great work ethic? Her results have been good for a long time, but she does seem to have found another gear.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I think on that Kona team she had alot more on her shoulders besides racing her bike.....the racer's had to look after themselves to a point. That's how it seemed from some of the stuff i've read.

She looks incredibly fit now, her Genes didn't do her any favors so she's had to work at that alot harder than others......

She always been one of my favorite racers, pure class since she started.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would have to give credit to Whitley for accomplishing a certain mindset and structured framework for his riders that sets them apart.

All you need to know to understand how he helps his riders is easy to pick up on.

The video that shows the heartbreaking moment when Neko had to call and tell him he got hurt at Massanutten was a great example. Monstrously professional.

Another was at the end of the Freecaster broadcast yesterday. The team intentionally did not tell Gwin the math on where he needed to finish to get the overall. Leov knew it. Whitley knew it. They just waited to tell him after he crossed the line.

The phrase that it's "90% mental" is the truth at the top level. There is no one athlete who is fitter, faster and more dominant than all others naturally. The mindset is what sets them apart.

Bill Belicheck, Bill Parcells, Phil Jackson...mental! :think:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Gwin's comment at the end of the Dirt video, and the look in his eyes, about being excited about the next world cup; I think that is as close to him saying "I'm pissed off and fired up" as we'll see.

This one was not as exciting for me...maybe it was the controlled commentating, maybe it was the conditions, I'm not sure but finals and worlds will be huge. Would have like to see Gee over Minar and I think he had it but a couple little mistakes, due to the conditions, cost him big.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh please god can we setup a beer fund for rob warner to make sure he's available for every race..........

It's bad enough they make him stay relatively sober these days but even his tamed down commentary is better than the two drone twins.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh please god can we setup a beer fund for rob warner to make sure he's available for every race..........

It's bad enough they make him stay relatively sober these days but even his tamed down commentary is better than the two drone twins.
It was a privilege to listen to Mr. Whitely commentate yesterday. Unsurpassed (and intimate) knowledge, well spoken and exceedingly professional. He didn't even skip a beat when his riders(not just TWR but the few handfulls of other riders that he manages) were on track.

He won the hell out of the weekend with his business partner taking the event and one of his employees taking the series.

The thoroughness of his and Pagey's commentating made things dry, most certainly.
Yelling makes for good drama. It'll be great to have Warner in the box again but this weekend was a great taste of what dh on tv might look in the future.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
It was a privilege to listen to Mr. Whitely commentate yesterday. Unsurpassed (and intimate) knowledge, well spoken and exceedingly professional. He didn't even skip a beat when his riders(not just TWR but the few handfulls of other riders that he manages) were on track.

He won the hell out of the weekend with his business partner taking the event and one of his employees taking the series.

The thoroughness of his and Pagey's commentating made things dry, most certainly.
Yelling makes for good drama. It'll be great to have Warner in the box again but this weekend was a great taste of what dh on tv might look in the future.
what he said :thumb:

warner is fun but nigel and martin know sooo much more.
we need both in the commentary box

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

fully agree

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

:stupid:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I don't disagree........but warner's babbling, uninsightful or not, makes watching those races SOOOOOO much more enjoyable than hearing a PDF fact sheet read aloud while there's bike racing going on.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I don't disagree........but warner's babbling, uninsightful or not, makes watching those races SOOOOOO much more enjoyable than hearing a PDF fact sheet read aloud while there's bike racing going on.
also agree....which is why I like it when warner has martin in there with him for most of the race...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Warner and whitely! Hate to be a hater but Nigel is not a good a speaker. He perpetually sounds boring and his in-depth knowledge, if there is any, comes off as really boring as compared to when shared by whitely. Why is Nigel a commentator in the first place? I'd be embarrassed about it if someone saw me watching world cups live all excited with that droning commentary. Whitely ftw, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Fabian and Warner in the booth for that stint when Fabian was injured was the best IMO. Warner would add the excitement and Fabian would spew pertinent info at a million miles an hour in between and actually knew the riders. Hope he'll stop in for some 2012 coverage now that he retired.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces

^^^couldn't say it better! A Whitely/Warner combo would be awesome, I was in awe of Whitely's professionalism, insight into riders talents and knowledge of the sport.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
It survived a whole 100m out of the start gate.
If true (and no reason not to believe you Transcend) then this sucks big hairy balls for the guys.

Hindsight = awesome of course, but I'm not quite sure why one would test an (I assume) untried frame like this in the full glare of the DH world's media - any potential upside free coverage would be massively outweighed by the potential (and apparently turns out to be real) risk of embarrassing failure.

Any failure may turn out to be a minor issue in reality, but in perception-world (and brand value) can = massive damage.

IMHO bike looks totally hot - I'm sure they can get it sorted.

Oh, also - great result for Gwin, Minnaaaaaaaaar - and most awesome exit evar by Fabian - the man is a legend :)

edit to add - yes, my friends do sometimes call me Captain Obvious...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004

So true. MW23 gave a 2 hour insight into some of his views about the sport.

Was great camera coverage too......that one shot near the end you could see how steep the course was. Camera was peering down and looked a long steep way to the finish.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So true. MW23 gave a 2 hour insight into some of his views about the sport.

Was great camera coverage too......that one shot near the end you could see how steep the course was. Camera was peering down and looked a long steep way to the finish.
Well the course was short so it was easier to give full coverage. No trees and other silly terrain probably helped a bit too.
Cant wait for Champery though. Ben claimed the organisers invested in some extra film crew. The coverage is going to be awesome. I still hope a bit that I can come and spectate.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
No wonder why Brook accidentally "forgot" to bring his carbon DH bike to La Bresse :rofl:
he forgot to bring his aluminum Revolt for the second time

, but I'm not quite sure why one would test an (I assume) untried frame like this in the full glare of the DH world's media -

Any failure may turn out to be a minor issue in reality, but in perception-world (and brand value) can = massive damage.
its not really a "untried" frame. Zink won a slopestyle comp on it a few weeks ago and others have been on them for a while now.

issues with carbon bikes are never "minor"

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Only real negative to the couse I could see was that visually it looked really tight and unforgiving compared to the highway wide courses we've seen this year. But I think that was just camera imagery and the muddy streak through the grass that was the main line making it look pencil thin.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I liked Whitely's knowledge of the sport, but to be honest his presentation is way to clinical. When Gwin crossed the line he had to be the first to spell it out in monotone, Minnaar takes the win, Gwin wins the series. No hint of excitement in his voice...his rider just won the series for craps sake! This is good announcing? Maybe for golf!

Admittedly, him and Warner would be pretty good mix up.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
OK, then do tell what happened, what was the mechanical? Im honestly so tired of reading your negative bull**** it's not even funny. I'm pretty sure you mentioned **** once before on here about Steve Smith hating his Revolt or something a few years back, it was a bold enough false statement Stevie came here and posted to set your bull**** straight.

Might not have been you, but I seem to remember it as such.

Last edited:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
its not really a "untried" frame. Zink won a slopestyle comp on it a few weeks ago and others have been on them for a while now.

issues with carbon bikes are never "minor"

Zink - hadn't caught up with that.. cool. Certainly a good sign.

Minor - maybe, and I did say 'may' - could be a serious issue with the design or lay-up spec, could be a minor component failure. All I know is Transcend says it failed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OK, then do tell what happened, what was the mechanical? Im honestly so tired of reading your negative bull**** it's not even funny. I'm pretty sure you mentioned **** once before on here about Steve Smith hating his Revolt or something a few years back, it was a bold enough false statement Stevie came here and posted to set your bull**** straight.

Are you high? I haven't ever commented at all on a revolt, particularly under Stevie. Steve happens to be a very old friend of mine.

If you don't like reading things, then don't? He broke a prototype, at a World Cup. It happens.

Also, I find it hysterical that you found it necessary to email a company to complain about something someone said about something you have nothing to do with. High five. :thumb:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If you don't like reading things, then don't? He broke a prototype, at a World Cup. It happens.
:picsstfu:

The only reason I really want to see this is to help me get over my unreasonable fear that should something carbon ever fail on a bike I'm riding; it would some how instantly lacerate my balls.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I think it was a single shooter in the grassy knoll as far as the Undead mechanical is concerned.

Awesome coverage from Freecaster. Whitely/Page combo wasn't "colorful" from the screaming and ranting standpoint, but was pretty frickin' solid from a knowledge-gained one. Although poor Nigel is not the smoothest talker on the WC circuit. I sure hope they try to wrangle Barel into the mix for next season. He's the knowledge-bomb-master and one of the few French people that can speak moderately understandable english!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
OK, then do tell what happened, what was the Kokanees? Im honestly so tired of reading your candian bull**** it's not even drunk. I'm pretty sure you mentioned **** once before on here about Celine Dion hating her poutine or something a few years back, it was a bold enough false statement Celine wrote a song about it to set your bull**** straight.